Germany and Italy 'failed to deliver'

A.V.

Defence Secretary Liam Fox has criticised Germany and Italy for 'failing to deliver' funds to provide extra helicopters in Afghanistan.

Fox, giving evidence on the Anglo-French defence cooperation treaty to a House of Lords committee, said that the Multinational Helicopter Initiative, launched in October 2009, had been underfunded by some of the richest nations involved.

"The helicopter initiative launched by the previous British government needed around €60m to deliver 10 helicopters to Afghanistan," said Fox. "It has only generated €28m and delivered three helicopters.

"Within that the UK has provided €8.6m, France is the second largest contributor at €5m. Some of Europe's richest nations have failed to deliver in this project - in particular, Germany and Italy - and most of the other contributions have come from non-EU CDSP (Common Defence and Security Policy) countries: Norway, Denmark, Japan.

"What it does I think illustrate is that again it's the same countries that are doing the deployment and doing the funding and the same countries who are missing from the equation," he said.

http://www.defencemanagement.com/news_story.asp?id=15393

Virendra

Ambassador
Country flag
Not usre about Italy, but German economy was certainly doing better than the peers in Europe.
Is it that they're unable to contribute or are they rather unwilling to ?
There have been new in the past about British forces in Af'stan facing shortage of military infastructure - mainly the helicopters. This matter had even made way to the British parliament.

Regards,
Virendra

Virendra

Ambassador
Country flag
As far as I understand, Italy along with Pakistan are the prime opposition to India's permanent membership bid at UNSC.
I know we cannot induce everything from this one face-off, but still it speaks a lot about the unfortunately conflicting paths the two countries are on.

Regards,
Virendra

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles