Geeta becomes a must-read in American university's course revision

Virendra

Ambassador
Country flag
Full article at- Why the Gita is a must - read at this American university - Lifestyle - DNA

Excerpts :

Since last year, all students of business management at Seton Hall University (SHU), New Jersey, have had to compulsorily study the Bhagavad Gita. Not to glean some tactical insights for use in corporate warfare, but to ground themselves in multiple religious cultures. A laudable objective that would resonate with US president Barack Obama's vision of a pluralist America where Christians and Muslims, Hindus and Jews, and non-believers, live together.

It all began as a pilot project last year, to teach the Gita to business students as a 'signature course' on a full-time basis. From this year, the Gita has become part of the core curriculum at the SHU, which happens to be a Roman Catholic-run institution.
So at one of the core curriculum meetings, Amar proposed that Hinduism should be included. As the world's oldest religion, he argued, it had put in most thought into the 'perennial questions.' His suggestion was accepted, and the SHU committee included the Gita, along with the Koran, the Bible, besides texts from the Buddhist sutras and the Greek philosophers. The course was called The Journey Of Transformation.

"American students will find the Gita rather difficult to navigate due to cultural barriers and a lack of context. But they are all fascinated by India, and being keen to learn, they will be interested," says Amar.

The Journey Of Transformation will be taught alongside another course, Christianity And Culture In Dialogue. The University will train faculty to take these additional courses, and whoever agrees to take it on will get a stipend of $1,000 for training, and a 'bounty' of another $1,000 the first time they teach the course. While six new professors were hired last year for this course, another six are set to be hired this year. If other universities, too, take a leaf out of SHU's book, then America could well churn out a new generation of business graduates well-versed in the perennial questions. If the recession is still on by the time they pass out, a spiritual grounding in the Gita could prove more than useful.

Regards,
Virendra

JBH22

If same had been implemented in India what would have been the headlines, any guesses? :)

Known_Unknown

Devil's Advocate
There's nothing new about this. The philosophy and sociology departments of all big and medium sized universities in the West have courses which include passages from multiple religions including Hinduism, Buddhism etc.

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
Behold the Christian Geeta :salute:
Since last year, all students of business management at Seton Hall University (SHU), New Jersey, have had to compulsorily study the Bhagavad Gita.
Seton Hall is a Catholic school. I grew up in the next town over from South Orange and took courses at Seton Hall -- in the summer because I had to make up credits for courses in which I had gotten low grades during the school year. You would not believe how many years it took for me to get my BA :-(

Seton Hall University, New Jersey

Named for:

Elizabeth Ann Seton - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

first American Catholic saint.

My doctor is from India and got his MD from Seton Hall Medical School.

Small world, isn't it?

dhananjay1

There are many parallels between different schools of Hindu and Hellenic philosophies. In fact Hindu world view is far more useful to understand Hellenic philosophies than to look at it through distortion of Christian lens.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles