GCV on the Block

pmaitra

The heat will always have to go somewhere.
Right.

Even for an engine, there will be exhausts. The engine needs to be cooled, and the only way to do that is to lose it to the atmosphere. Sure, one could spray the body with some "heat-shield" type layer, but if the heat is trapped within, the tank will not be able to operate for a long enough time. The more I think of it, the more I see that this cannot be an effective battle-worthy solution.

Reactions: sob

Damian

Engine exhaust can be cooled as well.

For example Ukrainian tanks, have exhaust gases cooled by air flow from engine cooling system.

Recently in other thread I also posted photo of modernized M1 tanks with diesel engine, photo do not show all details, but we can see a lot of ventilators at the rear, which probably both cool the engine and it's exhaust.

For future the situation is even better, for example in hybrid diesel-electric drives, diesel engine can be small, it will use less fuel and be less hot, so it's exhaust can be cooled down even more.

Oh and one more thing. If these manufacturers would lie, then no military after their own state tests, would purchase their products, meanwhile Saab Barracuda multispectral camouflage nets are one of the most popular around the globe, and this is only one example.

sob

Mod
Country flag
Would love to know how the Barracuda system works in absorbing the heat or dispersing the heat so that the thermal signature is so low.

Damian

Barracuda works in to ways. It isolates vehicle from outisde temperature, so for example sun can't heat up vehicle, it also increases comfort inside as it is less hot inside. And it isolates outside world from vehicle thermal signature.

Same principle is applied to other similiar camouflage nets like Berberys, Nagidka or Kontrast.

http://www.saabgroup.com/en/Land/Fo...bile_Camouflage/MCS_Mobile_Camouflage_System/

pmaitra

Engine exhaust can be cooled as well.

For example Ukrainian tanks, have exhaust gases cooled by air flow from engine cooling system.

Recently in other thread I also posted photo of modernized M1 tanks with diesel engine, photo do not show all details, but we can see a lot of ventilators at the rear, which probably both cool the engine and it's exhaust.

For future the situation is even better, for example in hybrid diesel-electric drives, diesel engine can be small, it will use less fuel and be less hot, so it's exhaust can be cooled down even more.

Oh and one more thing. If these manufacturers would lie, then no military after their own state tests, would purchase their products, meanwhile Saab Barracuda multispectral camouflage nets are one of the most popular around the globe, and this is only one example.
The heat has to go somewhere. Please refer to what @lookieloo said. You can have a heat sink self contained in the tank that will absorb a certain quantity of heat, but if that is not done, the heat has to go somewhere. It just won't vanish. So, I am interested to know what happens to that heat. No matter whatever happens, the tank's heat transfer must conform to the concept of Conservation of Energy. Since fuel is burnt, some heat might be translated into mechanical energy and thus into the outside world, but if one were to prevent the rest of the heat to dissipate, it has to be trapped in some device.

When you mention cooling, cooling is nothing but a process of transferring heat from one place to another. Cooling does not mean making the heat disappear. That is impossible. "For example Ukrainian tanks, have exhaust gases cooled by air flow from engine cooling system," which means, heat is transferred from the exhaust gases to the cooler air flow. In other words, the flowing air absorbs the heat and gets hot. What happens to this hot air?

Last edited by a moderator:

lookieloo

The heat has to go somewhere. Please refer to what @lookieloo said. You can have a heat sink self contained in the tank that will absorb a certain quantity of heat, but if that is not done, the heat has to go somewhere. It just won't vanish. So, I am interested to know what happens to that heat. No matter whatever happens, the tank's heat transfer must conform to the concept of Conservation of Energy. Since fuel is burnt, some heat might be translated into mechanical energy and thus into the outside world, but if one were to prevent the rest of the heat to dissipate, it has to be trapped in some device.

When you mention cooling, cooling is nothing but a process of transferring heat from one place to another. Cooling does not mean making the heat disappear. That is impossible. "For example Ukrainian tanks, have exhaust gases cooled by air flow from engine cooling system," which means, heat is transferred from the exhaust gases to the cooler air flow. In other words, the flowing air absorbs the heat and gets hot. What happens to this hot air?
Near as I can tell, IR camo works the same way as visual camo. The object is to redistribute IR-emissions in a manner that breaks up the obvious outline of a vehicle. It won't make said vehicle invisible because the heat isn't going to go away; but if you put it against the right background in the right conditions, it'll be somewhat harder to spot. As for hiding exhaust, the idea is to spread the heat out in a larger volume of air, making a somewhat less obvious "glow" for IR sensors.

But as I said before, the heat will always have to go somewhere, and such measures are only mitigatory.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: sob

collegeboy16

nah, simply light the surrounding areas up, your thermals wont see shit.

lookieloo

Big Army For Big Wars? Yes! GCV? Probably Not. « Breaking Defense - Defense industry news, analysis and commentary
PENTAGON: Do we still need a big Army that can wage big wars? Hell yes, the Army generals say. Will the Army get a new Ground Combat Vehicle to replace the 1981-vintage Bradley Fighting Vehicle that currently carries foot troops into battle? Probably not for a long, long time.

That's my assessment based on an exclusive interview with two two-star generals and a senior Army civilian: the director of the Army office supporting the Quadrennial Defense Review, Maj. Gen. John Rossi; the G-8"²s director of "force development," Maj. Gen. Robert Dyess; and the director of the Army's QDR office, Timothy Muchmore...

Global Defence

New threads

Articles