G-20: Confrontations Flare as Obama’s Traveling Party Reaches China

Compersion

Country flag
I am sure most would have noticed by now in the group photo our PM all the way on the right side. No issue if with intent and not but the positive smile from PM was there throughput (not like other examples we can take). Saw Japanese PM look at our PM can read the mind.

But that's not the optics one must notice and remember. It is when the photo is done and President Xi asks President Obama to walk forward. President Obama goes other way total in the face and President Xi ways his hand like whatever.

PRC vs USA

PRC vs everyone (except Pakis and North Korea)

PRC vs India .

I say good luck. Chinese people do not want this problem.

Internally President Xi ... And externally with India is all I can see. But there is a lot more occurring. I wish whatever is best in Indian interests and such occur with good relations with Chinese people.

And here is the video : (many other messages and movements within and a good finish)

Why focus on our PM ... All the way on the RIGHT side.

Last edited:

alphacentury

Country flag
Erdogan having the last laugh................lol

BTW, about American values, yeah there was a time when everyone looked up to it. Now its pointed to cite failed marriages , fatherless kids, mass shootings and lgbbq rallies. MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN:biggrin2:

ps- I like how Obama was treated and yes, the chinese are one of the most uncouth people.

sorcerer

Country flag
Aah...The chines
I am sure most would have noticed by now in the group photo our PM all the way on the right side. No issue if with intent and not but the positive smile from PM was there throughput (not like other examples we can take). Saw Japanese PM look at our PM can read the mind.

But that's not the optics one must notice and remember. It is when the photo is done and President Xi asks President Obama to walk forward. President Obama goes other way total in the face and President Xi ways his hand like whatever.

PRC vs USA

PRC vs India .

Internally President Xi ... And externally with India is all I can see. But there is a lot more occurring. I wish whatever is best in Indian interests and such occur with good relations with Chinese people.

And here is the video : (many other messages and movements within and a good finish)

:D
chinese ways are shrewed.. Placing Indian PM far right and the US President Far Left was to prevent the act of INDIA-US shake hands in china during the G-20.

May be Xi wanted to pull away the US president as soon as the photo shoot was over and Obama thought otherwise.. I think these were well thought of maneuvers during the photo-session..

For a few seconds.. The stage was just for the INDIA-US and few other delegates..

Interesting to see the female chinese officer come back and interrupt the India-US small talk then coerce them outside the event zone from the prying eyes of flashing cams of international media...with the chinese smile.

Whatever the signal which India was trying to send got amplified.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
I am fine as long as Modi gets proper treatment.

P.S.: I agree with the points you made.
Our modi bhai Saab needs to learn some small talk and diplomatic niceties when in international forums, that thing trying to walk along with Obama did not look good.

I suspect when talking to world leaders especially during photo ops, his hand gestures do sync with what he is saying to the head of state next to him.

DingDong

Country flag
Our modi bhai Saab needs to learn some small talk and diplomatic niceties when in international forums, that thing trying to walk along with Obama did not look good.

I suspect when talking to world leaders especially during photo ops, his hand gestures do sync with what he is saying to the head of state next to him.
Not required. Indian PM must just be himself and act naturally. World respects Raw Power and the hand gestures are secondary.

On Topic
The USA-led block is loosing it's clout and it needs a powerful country like India as it's ally. India is got to immensely benefit from such association both economically and strategically. Russia cannot provide us those billion USD as investment, only the USA can.

I believe that Barak Obama has been one of the weakest of all the US presidents. This is US' Manmohan moment. Situation may change after a new US president is elected.

alphacentury

Country flag

Watch from 38:00,on SCS Putin says no 3rd party(US) involvement should be there. Also, they stand with China on disregarding the hauge tribunal verdict.

bose

Country flag
's

Watch from 38:00,on SCS Putin says no 3rd party(US) involvement should be there. Also, they stand with China on disregarding the hauge tribunal verdict.
It was not necessary from Putin, with such statement it go against Russia own friends like Vietnam ...Russia need not go and sit on China's lap...

Last edited:

alphacentury

Country flag
I dont think he Putin/Russia are in a situation where they can afford to not cozy up with China........

Compersion

Country flag
Aah...The chines

:D
chinese ways are shrewed.. Placing Indian PM far right and the US President Far Left was to prevent the act of INDIA-US shake hands in china during the G-20.

May be Xi wanted to pull away the US president as soon as the photo shoot was over and Obama thought otherwise.. I think these were well thought of maneuvers during the photo-session..

For a few seconds.. The stage was just for the INDIA-US and few other delegates..

Interesting to see the female chinese officer come back and interrupt the India-US small talk then coerce them outside the event zone from the prying eyes of flashing cams of international media...with the chinese smile.

Whatever the signal which India was trying to send got amplified.
Never thought of it like that ... PRC attempt to make Modi look worse and President Xi take prominent ... Did not work out ... Everyone is knowing standing plan is known beforehand. would President Obama be near last person to leave and someone knew something was up ... Also is there some hidden comparisons within PRC internally of Modi vs Xi ... You see a lot of Xi behavior being overshadowed and even copied by Xi.

Its also not good to make fun of PRC too much. Its still a fact they held g20. We cannot even hold olympics yet. Even though PRC gets sticks and stones and even words hurled at them but they don't care . But no doubt optics work in our favor. Also India is far far ahead of PRC of 1970s but that counts for more important matters that need to be sort. But no need to exploit ... It happened was not done on purpose. Obama would have met Modi anyway. President Xi could have gone for lady ... German ... Didn't some lady from PRC write avoid Indians and blacks ... (Sorry) and pakis ??

sorcerer

Country flag
Its also not good to make fun of PRC too much. Its still a fact they held g20. We cannot even hold olympics yet.
Hosting G-20 is turn based!
G20 and Olympics?
Errr...too much I think!

India proposes to host G20 summit ahead of schedule
To undertake the responsibility without distractions
India’s turn to host the G20 summit is scheduled for 2019 but the country is now proposing to take up the presidency of the meet in 2018 as it would be having its general election polls in 2019.

The Indian government is in talks with Argentina and South Africa on contending for the G20 presidency before turn. India is supposed to host the G20 summit in 2019 but the country is now pitching to host the meet in 2018 instead of 2019, when general elections are due.

The year-long presidency involves hosting world’s most powerful leaders at a summit and the Indian government would like to take up the responsibility without the distraction of a national poll.

The Group of Twenty (G20) is an international economic cooperation that comprises 19 countries and the European Union. Leaders meet annually to discuss ways to strengthen the global economy, reform international financial institutions, improve financial regulation, and discuss the key economic reforms that are needed in each of the member countries.

In 2010, it was decided that G20 leaders will meet every year and a rotation system was conceived. India is yet to hold the chair after the new rotation system was put in place. While some critics see the G20 turning into a talking shop, its success in ending the secrecy of tax havens has changed the global landscape in taxation practices significantly.

The membership of countries is divided into five groups and India falls into the second group with Russia, South Africa and Turkey. Other groups include Australia, Canada, Saudi Arabia and the US; Argentina, Brazil and Mexico; France, Germany, Italy and the UK; China, Japan, South Korea and Indonesia.

India will have to secure a 2018 mandate for the chair this year itself so that the announcement of the presidency could be made at the September summit. This is crucial as past and future chairs along with the incumbent forms the ‘troika’ that ensures the G20’s smooth functioning.
http://mediaindia.eu/business-politics/india-proposes-to-host-g20-summit-ahead-of-schedule/

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com...g20-meet-before-turn/articleshow/53145866.cms

amoy

PRC vs USA

PRC vs India .

Internally President Xi ... And externally with India is all I can see. But there is a lot more occurring. I wish whatever is best in Indian interests and such occur with good relations with Chinese people. .
Add a more solid perspective ~ G20 vs. G7

The latter is a club of "developed" countires. G20 in contrast is more inclusive ~ Indonesia, Turkey, Saudi, Brasil... China even has invited Egypt, Laos etc. this round as guests.

sorcerer

Country flag
Indian PM Shows His Stature In Hangzhou

by Koushik Das

Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi held separate meetings with Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, French President Francois Hollande and other world leaders in Hangzhou on the sidelines of recently concluded G-20 Summit.

Prime Minister Modi, who arrived in the eastern Chinese city on Sunday to attend the two-day Summit, mainly discussed bilateral issues with the two presidents.

The topic of discussion between Modi and Erdogan was India’s NSG membership, as Ankara had opposed the South Asian country’s membership bid in Seoul in June.

Later, he raised the issue of the confidential data leak of the Indian Scorpene Class submarines during his meeting with President Hollande.

PM Modi also met his British counterpart Theresa May to discuss “building opportunities” between the two countries in the changing global geopolitical landscape.
He told PM May that India was eager to boost trade ties with Britain after the UK’s decision to exit the European Union.

Senior spokesperson of the Indian Ministry of External Affairs Vikas Swarup told the press that all the three meetings were crucial, as the PM tried his best to inform the world leaders about India’s global aspirations:india:. According to Swarup, Modi’s discussion with Erdogan on NSG was significant, as Turkey agreed to back India’s bid to join the elite grouping, despite China’s strong objection.

Meanwhile, President Erdogan urged PM Modi to monitor the activities of supporters of dissident Muslim cleric Fethullah Gulen in India.
The Turkish president believes that many of Gulen’s supporters have taken shelter in India. Gulen had allegedly masterminded the failed July coup attempt in Turkey. The two leaders further agreed to boost bilateral co-operation, with Modi announcing that India would enhance civil aviation:shock: with Turkey in the coming days.

Commenting on Modi’s meeting with President Hollande, Swarup said that the PM expressed serious concern over the leak of sensitive data related to Scorpene Class submarines. The French president assured Modi that his government would investigate how secret data of more than 22,000 pages on the capabilities of six highly-advanced submarines were leake.

The submarines are being built for the Indian Navy in Mumbai in collaboration with French defence company DCNS.

Meanwhile, the Indian PM thanked the Chinese authorities for hosting a successful G-20 Summit, saying: “Discussions at G-20 Summit were extensive and wide-ranging. I thank Chinese people and government for the great hospitality during the Summit.” Modi tweeted that the Summit in Hangzhou gave him an opportunity to meet top world leaders, including Australian Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull, Deputy Crown Prince of Saudi Arabia Mohammad bin Salman, Argentine President Mauricio Macri and US President Barack Obama. Ahead of the G-20, PM Modi presided over the BRICS (Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa) Leaders Meeting to finalise their stand on Hangzhou Summit. The BRICS leaders are due to attend the 8th annual Summit of the bloc in western Indian province of Goa on October 15-16.

Chinese experts, too, believe that PM Modi’s trip to Hangzhou was a successful one, as his positioning in the group photo shows his stature in the eyes of Beijing.

Director of the Institute of International Affairs at the prestigious Renmin University in Beijing Wang Yizhi said that the G-20 Summit group photo threw up a thousand interpretations about where each leader stands in the hierarchy of power.

He explained that the order usually followed from the front row to the row behind for group photos taken at international meetings is heads of the state (presidents and kings), heads of the government (PMs and chancellors) and representatives of international organisations. In Hangzhou, PM Modi was arranged in the first row, together with 13 leaders, including German Chancellor Angela Merkel, and his positioning in the first row demonstrated China’s attention to India as a developing country and a rising power, stressed Wang.

Source>>

Compersion

Country flag

The latter is a club of "developed" countires. G20 in contrast is more inclusive ~ Indonesia, Turkey, Saudi, Brasil... China even has invited Egypt, Laos etc. this round as guests.

R u saying G7 has Japan to be Asia representative?

R u saying PRC is voice and leader of developing world vs USA voice of developed world?

Also what's your picture trying to show ... Iiquid perspectives ... Solid ... Your perspective must only count ...

Last edited:

alphacentury

Country flag

PRC vs USA

PRC vs India .

Take a look at this video too...Obama comes with Modi for group photo. Again, goes back to him almost abrupting the photo session.

alphacentury

Country flag
Currently RUS-CHN naval exercise is going on in their disputed sea. Also, India to hold Yudh-Abhyas 2016 with US in UK(China border). The naval exercise between CHN & RUS has been going on for couple of years just like Yudh Abhyas. Also, next month is IND-RUS bilateral meeting in Goa, where both Modi and Putin will seat. Interesting times..

J20!

Country flag
R u saying G7 has Japan to be Asia representative?

R u saying PRC is voice and leader of developing world vs USA voice of developed world?

Also what's your picture trying to show ... Iiquid perspectives ... Solid ... Your perspective must only count ...
The G7 has no purpose other than maintaining the status quo, much like the p5 at the UN security council.

The G7 has no intention of letting the "developing countries" industrialize more than they have. There's a glass ceiling at which developing countries become a "threat" to the establishment.

Why are Canada and Italy included in the G7 when both China and India rank higher than both those countries in nominal GDP terms? Why include the third largest economy (Japan) whilst China - which has an economy almost 3 times the size of Japan's - is not included?

Compersion

Country flag
The G7 has no purpose other than maintaining the status quo, much like the p5 at the UN security council.

The G7 has no intention of letting the "developing countries" industrialize more than they have. There's a glass ceiling at which developing countries become a "threat" to the establishment.

Why are Canada and Italy included in the G7 when both China and India rank higher than both those countries in nominal GDP terms? Why include the third largest economy (Japan) whilst China - which has an economy almost 3 times the size of Japan's - is not included?
Its good read that you are questioning G7 composition and using India and PRC for relatively. Some say G7 is the industrialized democracies. Not sure how PRC will handle that question but like you are alluding to probably it will be done with help and support. Your answer is reasonable in nature I wish you the best.

Its is important to also note Russia was suspended from G8 -> G7 because they did not have the help and support they must have thought about 1970s. But I am sure PRC also thinks a lot about the past is different to the future. Russia and PRC relationship is something fascinating ... and going along like a theater play - what will happen next ... absolutely fascinating. .

Compersion

Country flag
Take a look at this video too...Obama comes with Modi for group photo. Again, goes back to him almost abrupting the photo session.

look at video after 3.00 where President Xi is pointing and waving his hand to join him ... that is where the analysis is. before that it is all sweet like honey.

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
Currently RUS-CHN naval exercise is going on in their disputed sea. Also, India to hold Yudh-Abhyas 2016 with US in UK(China border). The naval exercise between CHN & RUS has been going on for couple of years just like Yudh Abhyas. Also, next month is IND-RUS bilateral meeting in Goa, where both Modi and Putin will seat. Interesting times..
Russia needs China to posture against USA.

We do the same against China with USA.

In the end both know the real nature of each others' rivals.

Nothing remains changed between India and Russia.

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag

A lot could be much better if China and India were on the same side rather than Pakistan and China.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles