Future Ready Combat Vehicle tender

Screambowl

Ghanta Senior Member?
Country flag
we Indians can only talk
and Chinese are moving ahead with a pace.

shuvo@y2k10

Country flag
Arjun mk 2 after weight reduction is going to be in the class of M1A2 and Leo2A7 of 63-64 tons very close to the 62 ton Arjun mk1. Remove the 1.5 ton mine plough and you get the same weight in A2 and A1.

Moving forward CVRDE GNMBT is targeting 55 tons with its revolutionary design of Universal combat platform with a crew capsule and remote controlled unmanned turret.

Arjun mk 3 based on the current arjun platform can be made in 56-58 ton class, if a leclerc style autoloader is used capable of holding single piece ammunition and reducing the crew size to 3. But then it would require a redesigned turret.

itsme

Country flag
A redesigned turret based on MK2 turret with autoloader seems possible.

Kshithij

DharmaYoddha
Arjun mk 2 after weight reduction is going to be in the class of M1A2 and Leo2A7 of 63-64 tons very close to the 62 ton Arjun mk1. Remove the 1.5 ton mine plough and you get the same weight in A2 and A1.

Moving forward CVRDE GNMBT is targeting 55 tons with its revolutionary design of Universal combat platform with a crew capsule and remote controlled unmanned turret.

Arjun mk 3 based on the current arjun platform can be made in 56-58 ton class, if a leclerc style autoloader is used capable of holding single piece ammunition and reducing the crew size to 3. But then it would require a redesigned turret.
Autoloader is bad for business. A small jam due to denting caused by enemy hit or change of ammunition is difficult. For better control and war time easy repair and reload, manual loading is the way to go

Shaitan

Zandu Balm all day
Mod
Country flag

Future Ready Combat Vehicles (FRCVs) Will Not Discard Arjun Mk-II Tank: Lt Gen AB Shivane

Tender for Future Ready Combat Vehicles (FRCVs) is not a global tender but will be procured under strategic partnership. The new tank will be indigenous tank, in which IPR and technology will be owned by India. The tank will be India to replace old fleet of T-72, which were inducted in 1972. Life of a tank is 32 years, which can further be extended by 4-5 years. Then we have to look for another tank to plug gap in our security. Arjun Mk-I is already with Indian Army and under stabilization. The indigenous content is increased. We will look at Arjun Mark-II as MBT Arjun Mk-I become fully indigenous and stabilized. FRCV is not discarding Arjun Mk-II. Arjun Mk-II is under trial and orders are placed when trials get completed. Integrated trials with missile firing capability are yet to be conducted. T-72 was inducted in 1979 and T -90 in 2001. We are upgrading the fleet as its getting older. Many factor are being consolidated to make that battle ready as on date either on western front or on northern front.

Shaitan

Zandu Balm all day
Mod
Country flag

Future Ready Combat Vehicles (FRCVs) Will Not Discard Arjun Mk-II Tank: Lt Gen AB Shivane

Tender for Future Ready Combat Vehicles (FRCVs) is not a global tender but will be procured under strategic partnership. The new tank will be indigenous tank, in which IPR and technology will be owned by India. The tank will be India to replace old fleet of T-72, which were inducted in 1972. Life of a tank is 32 years, which can further be extended by 4-5 years. Then we have to look for another tank to plug gap in our security. Arjun Mk-I is already with Indian Army and under stabilization. The indigenous content is increased. We will look at Arjun Mark-II as MBT Arjun Mk-I become fully indigenous and stabilized. FRCV is not discarding Arjun Mk-II. Arjun Mk-II is under trial and orders are placed when trials get completed. Integrated trials with missile firing capability are yet to be conducted. T-72 was inducted in 1979 and T -90 in 2001. We are upgrading the fleet as its getting older. Many factor are being consolidated to make that battle ready as on date either on western front or on northern front.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag

Either he has not read the RFI or dont know IP laws are. I have done both and I am struggling with his above statement, its worse that what politicians makes.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Its interesting to note that Army is now using the term ' Northern ' front ..

Shaitan

Zandu Balm all day
Mod
Country flag

Vinod DX9

Country flag
This is surprising that when Arjun project was started it was clearly said that it would be made keeping in mind Pakistan's possible M1 Abrams capability. Now why Army wants same tank which can be operated in Hot Desert of West, Plain Land of North West and Mountains of North, North East ? Why they didn't go with Vijayant heavily upgraded version which DRDO proposed? Now when a potent tank is ready they need a multi terrain accessible tank ...
Similar thing happened with rifle...from SLR 7.62 to 5.56...and when INSAS is trying to recover Army wanted Multi Caliber! And when AAR ready, suddenly killed it !
One country spending billions and years of investment will mwke a fantastic tank ane we have ti helieve they will Transfer their Technology easily . A downgraded tank will come, which ultimately will be overhauled by same DRDO armour , main gun, engine, aps etc....Only our money will be wasted.

Only thing I want army procure from abroad (which actually they don't!) Is advanced tank ammos like Vaccum, Lekalo, M829-Mk-4 etc. Only those still we can't match

Shaitan

Zandu Balm all day
Mod
Country flag
Just like SE fighter will not discard Tejas. K9 Vajra will not discard Bheem. Pilatus will not discard HJT-40....

Are we expected to believe that?

Hard to say where Tejas will go after MK1A. HJT40 is not discarded, far from it. Arjun Mark 2's orders after it's initial batch order was always suspect. Even DRDO pretty much gave in with FMBT, or now NGMBT's specs. DRDO knew an, "FRCV", was in the works before it even went public.

Last edited:

Kshithij

DharmaYoddha
Either he has not read the RFI or dont know IP laws are. I have done both and I am struggling with his above statement, its worse that what politicians makes.
According to his plans, foreign manufacturers will just sell 'their design' along with the IP rights to india while India will simply manufacture. Since they are ready to sell tanks, which can be reverse engineered, why not sell the design itself is the question.

Shaitan

Zandu Balm all day
Mod
Country flag
According to his plans, foreign manufacturers will just sell 'their design' along with the IP rights to india while India will simply manufacture. Since they are ready to sell tanks, which can be reverse engineered, why not sell the design itself is the question.

If it's going through the SP route, which it will, the IP will be in the hands of Indian company..

According to the guidelines stipulated in the new Chapter VII of DPP 2016, any applicant company interested in participating in the selection process for strategic partners must be owned and controlled by resident Indians. This means that the majority in a company’s board of directors, including the Chief Executive Officer (CEO), must be resident Indians, and that a minimum 51 per cent of its equity must be owned by resident Indians. The cap of a maximum of 49 per cent Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) in SPs, which is also the condition in the newly revised ‘Make’ procedure, is intended to keep the crucial decision-making and intellectual property rights (IPR) in the hands of resident Indians.

https://idsa.in/idsacomments/strategic-partnership-model-in-defence-industry_lkbehera_020617

Ownership Structure and Form: The applicant must bea public company as defined under the Companies Act, 2013 (“Applicant Company”). The objective of the Strategic Partnership model is to build capabilities in India to manufacture defence equipment. In certain extreme circumstances of conflict like war, the GoI would have the right to acquire control over the intellectual property used and facilities developed pursuant to the Strategic Partnership

https://defenceaviationpost.com/wp-...inalised-Chapter-on-Strategic-Partnership.pdf

Kshithij

DharmaYoddha
Its interesting to note that Army is now using the term ' Northern ' front ..
It is strange that no one mentions eastern front (Bangladesh). The only 2 front war that I can see is with Pakistan and Bangladesh. China is really not a threat. China will have hard time maintaining Tibet once petroleum runs dry. Capturing Arunachal is even more difficult for the same reasons. Also, Arunachal has no resources and only likely to be a burden.

Pakistan and Bangladesh are the true enemies. I am really surprised that no one even mentions it

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
They want future ready tank, which is only T14, inducted with armed forces as per Para 8, with strategic partnership to be given to India with IP right.

Now it will happen like this.

Either the Russians who are strategic partners will give us export quality T14 (which is less capable tank).

Or they will ask for funds, first to make something like F16 block 60I (India), which will be like third class copy of the T14 tank, but will fulfill our GSQR, with some new thrown in like some 360 degree protection etc, which the Russian has done R&D for T14, but thought it is useless for it (again we will be asked to pay for R&D which they have already would have done). They might given in these freebies and its IP right (this is wild guess)

Lets see how things progress.

RFI dont even show any foresight on part of our DGMF, as to what future tech they want.

Vinod DX9

Country flag
Theoretically Armata isn't only UCP. Turkish too has this. But neither they will respond nor we will buy ( but that's better than Russian counterpart )

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles