Frontier Infrastructure: Loopholes, Scenarios, etc., and Solutions

Decklander

I'm only stating the basic drill, that too, as I said, for a intact airfiled. It will become increasing complicated depending on the degeneration of the runway, or if any other factor has to be taken into account.

Even I said that jet AC with high wing (i.e. The IL-76 and the C-17) can fairly easily conduct takeoff and landings anywhere turboprops can, provided the runway can take the loads.

ISu-25 frogfoot was always a very rough AC capable of alot of abuse, but I didn't think the Mig-29 could do so.

But even then, both these AC will need a relatively flat airstrip to land, (irrespective of whether FOD is a concern or not). Due to high momentum during landing, and subsequent inertia, it can very easily be subjected to toppling torque if a wheel impacts a sudden discontinuity on the surface. Shattered landing gear is a common efrect of this.
Look buddy, you seem to be in a mood to argue uselessly. The day you get to land a fighter on a taxitrack 30 feet wide that too limited to just 1500 feet length, you will have the right to argue with me. I probably have more hours on the back of a loop or in dive to release weapons than your age.

Decklander

That was only w.r.t fixed runways and does not include a runway which moves at 28Kts with wind on deck of 40Kts and wherein you do not have a diversion airfield available and you are out at sea nearly 600nm from nearest coast with just ten feet of deck space available as margin and launching and recovering at moonless dark night. We gave such an exp to IAF in a trainer of SH. The guy had his legs shaking thruout the flight. he was a FCL (Fighter Combat Leader) from IAF.

DivineHeretic

Country flag
Look buddy, you seem to be in a mood to argue uselessly. The day you get to land a fighter on a taxitrack 30 feet wide that too limited to just 1500 feet length, you will have the right to argue with me. I probably have more hours on the back of a loop or in dive to release weapons than your age.
Sure, I'm absolutely thrilled to argue uselessly with you. As if I don't have anything better to do.

Lets see, the discussion starts at fighters can/cannot operate from an unprepared airfield. Then you decide that the distance from IB must come into the picture. How did that happen? Well poor attempt at digressing.

Next, the airfield changes to airbase and then finally to satellite airfield. Next airfield means airbases and not airstrips. Thats a lot of fluctuation for someone who's lived and breathed these terms throughout his career.

You might have flown the B-2 or even flown the spaceshuttle since you were born. It still doesn't mean that you circumvent physics or Soil engineering. Besides if flying x number of years gives someone the right to argue with you how did you work with the ground crew? Told them to shut up? Or attempted to ridicule them on their

Well, seeing as what it is, I couldn't be bothered to debate with you.

Last edited:

pmaitra

Of the several airfields @Decklander presented, one is in Kanchrapara. I have been there many times. I can assure you, all you need is 6 to 8 hours of effort to cut the grass growing from the crevasses between concrete sections, and a MiG-29 can easily take-off and land.

Last edited by a moderator:

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag
Same with Behala Airport...

Though Kanchrapara is in a much more dilapidated condition

Of the several airfields @Decklander presented, one is in Kanchrapara. I have been there many times. I can assure you, all you need is 6 to 8 hours of effort to cut the grass growing from the crevasses between concrete sections, and a MiG-29 can easily take-off and land.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Indeed, though for different airbases pilots get there ways..

But even then, both these AC will need a relatively flat airstrip to land, . Due to high momentum during landing, and subsequent inertia, it can very easily be subjected to toppling torque if a wheel impacts a sudden discontinuity on the surface. Shattered landing gear is a common efrect of this.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Presently we need more Airfields over Norther sector that is Jammu and Kashmir, I complex of close airbases is one option..

I will put a idea ..

DivineHeretic

Country flag
If thats true, the Mig-29 should easily be able to take off and land from a relatively undulating section of a four lane Highway, The supplies (fuel/weapons) and the crew can be deployed on a convoy of mobile trucks which could in very short time turn around the Fulcrum for another sortie without having to return to parent base.

Though this idea is not for long deployment, but only for turnarounds.

A similar arrangement was adopted by the Swedish Airforce, something we could emulate

During the 1950s the air force started to build road bases after an idea taken from Germany. Built under the-BASE 60-distributed airfield scheme,[2]-the bases were ordinary highways constructed in such a way that they could also-serve as landing strips.

In the early eighties road number 44 was rebuilt to contain four short runways (17 x 800 metres). Along the road a large number of turn-around-sites for rearming and refueling were built. These short runways are still used today for training, landing and taking off with-Gripen-and-Hercules-as preparation for international operations under adverse conditions.

Even the Polish AF have similar sites.

pmaitra

Yes, that is true.

The MiG-29's landing gear can work even on a football field (not lengthwise, but surface wise).

Even Ilyushin-76 can do the same.

Most Soviet airplanes, even civilian ones in the past (Tupolev-154, Tupolev-134, etc.), had this semi-prepared airfield friendly landing gear.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador

Morning, I dont think that we are in that Bad condition as most Media think we are, What needed is upgrade these Airbases..
@pmaitra, @arnabmit, @Decklander, @Ray Sir..

=======================

What needed is upgrade of these Airbases with bomb proof bunkers and AD so does communications etc..

In future Tejas and Mig-29 & Jaguar are best suited for such terrain..

pmaitra

In future Tejas and Mig-29 & Jaguar are best suited for such terrain..
Right, for the forward and sub-forward bases, although, we would need to have our Sukhois up (from Chandigarh?) to get air-superiority. I heard Panagarh and Tezpur are being beefed up with Sukhois? Can anyone confirm?

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag
Panagarh is also supposed to get mid-air refueling tanker fleet to service NE airbases as well as become the HQ of Mountain Corps.

Right, for the forward and sub-forward bases, although, we would need to have our Sukhois up (from Chandigarh?) to get air-superiority. I heard Panagarh and Tezpur are being beefed up with Sukhois? Can anyone confirm?

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
In War conditions SU-30MKI can operate from Srinager and Awantipur Military Airbases..

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
About Eastern Front, IAF has edge without any doubts, Here some of the work i did to represent it.. ===========>>>>>>>>>

--------------------------------------------------

IAF airbase over eastern sector

PLAAF airbases over eastern sector, Majority behind Burma

Both Country Airbases

Obvious, Predictable strategy

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
@Kunal,

Refurbishing of border defences, to inclue airbases, as I see it, is to be visualised by a Strategic Analysis for the next 20 years.

It can't be built in a jiffy as all would appreciate.

The bases, its employability, kitting in all its ramifications, stocking, the communication network, the defence of such bases have to be enhanced incrementally without causing alarm to others.

It appears that whatever we are doing or do, is basically reactive and knee jerk. I maybe wrong!

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
And over media sensational is not helping matter also, we should make this airbase civil at first then militarized it..

Gov should advertise near by people into these areas and make it somewhat urban with roads and living areas which would help us to get things there for Civil cause..

It appears that whatever we are doing or do, is basically reactive and knee jerk.

SilentKiller

Country flag

Took me some time to find it..

A single of this can plow 200ms in 30mins,,

I think 1 of these can be carry inside Dhruv too ?,
might not come inside dhuv, bigger...
cannot be carried below if it weights more than 2.5 tons... hope it weights less.
high we go lower the carrying capacity of helicopter.
but if we transport them by parts then by dhruv possible.

pmaitra

Can we airlift bunkers?

We can build big bunkers, integrate them with massive gliders, tow them with transport airplanes, and guide them to mountain tops with RC controller.

SilentKiller

Country flag
its good that we are discussing on border infra...

north-east is quite secured from chinese front but can't say same about norther part w.r.t to border infra.

we must have 2-3 routes functional full year to leh...difficult but nothing is impossible.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles