Friday the 13th effect ? 70+ Killed in twin attacks on Pak Military Camp

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
70 killed as Taliban claim bin Laden revenge

Pakistan's Taliban Friday claimed their first major strike in revenge for Osama bin Laden's death as at least 70 people were killed in a suicide and bomb attack on paramilitary police.

"This was the first revenge for Osama's martyrdom. Wait for bigger attacks in Pakistan and Afghanistan," spokesman Ehsanullah Ehsan told AFP by telephone from an undisclosed location.

It was the deadliest attack in the nuclear-armed Muslim country this year and came with Pakistan's military and civilian leadership plunged into crisis over the killing of the Al-Qaeda chief by US commandos on May 2.

Advertisement: Story continues below
The explosions detonated in northwest Pakistan as newly trained paramilitary cadets were getting into buses and coaches for a 10-day leave after a training course, and they were wearing civilian clothes, police said.

The attacks took place in Shabqadar town, about 30 kilometres (19 miles) north of Peshawar, the main city in the northwest region where militants linked to the Taliban and Al-Qaeda have repeatedly attacked government forces.

Ahmad Ali, a wounded paramilitary policeman, recalled the horror when the explosions turned a festive Friday morning into a bloodbath.

"I was sitting in a van waiting for my colleagues. We were in plain clothes and we were happy we were going to see our families," he told AFP by telephone from Shabqadar hospital.

"I heard someone shouting 'Allah Akbar' and then I heard a huge blast. I was hit by something in my back shoulder. In the meantime I heard another blast and I jumped out of the van. I felt that I was injured and bleeding."

Police officials confirmed that at least 70 people had been killed, making it the deadliest attack in Pakistan since November 5 when a suicide bomber killed 68 people at a mosque in the northwest area of Darra Adam Khel.

"The suicide bomber came on a motorcycle and blew himself up among Frontier Constabulary personnel. The bomb disposal squad told me the second bomb was planted," said the police chief of the Charsadda district, Nisar Khan Marwat.

He said that around 20 shops and 12 vehicles were destroyed in the intensity of the blasts and put the death toll at 70.

"Sixty-five of them are from the paramilitary police. Five dead bodies of civilians were taken to Shabqadar hospital," he added.

... truncated..

70 killed as Taliban claim bin Laden revenge

pmaitra

This is the price Pakistan is paying for standing on two different boats. You cannot have the cake and eat it too. Pakistan is paying dearly for milking the US of money and at the same time hiding the Goose-that-lays-the-golden-egg in Abbottabad!

Reap what you sow Pakistan. You asked for it.

SHASH2K2

Its good to hear that Pakistanis are enjoying the fruit of terrorism that was meant only for export to neighboring countries. Hope Pakistani Government give them more and more chances to enjoy their best export product . After all Pakistanis have full right to know specialty of their product. :D

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
I feel the count given is less, it should be more then 100, may be with passing time we will come to know the actual numbers

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
Taliban responsible for deadly attack on Pakistan paramilitary training centre

The Pakistan Taliban immediately claimed responsibility and said bigger attacks were to follow.

A suicide bomber on a motorbike struck at the gates just as young recruits boarded buses to go on leave after their course.
Police in Shabqadar, close to the border with Afghanistan, said a second explosion came seconds later.

The death toll – the highest this year – is a bloody reminder of the price paid by Pakistan's security forces in their war against the Taliban and al-Qaeda-linked extremists.

Ehsanullah Ehsan, a spokesman for the Pakistan Taliban, told AFP by telephone from an undisclosed location: "This was the first revenge for Osama's martyrdom. Wait for bigger attacks in Pakistan and Afghanistan."

A vegetable vendor near the Frontier Constabulary training centre said some recruits were seated in white minivans and others were loading luggage atop the vehicles.

"There was a big blast," he said. "I saw smoke, blood and body pieces all around."

Twelve vehicles were also destroyed in the blasts One of bin Laden's wives has told interrogators he lived in Pakistan for the past seven years, deeply embarrassing the Pakistan government.

Pakistan's civilian government said on Thursday it would review counter-terrorism co-operation with the United States as it comes under growing domestic pressure to punish Washington for the apparently unauthorised bin Laden raid.

It has been accused of sheltering the world's man but officials point out that no country has paid a higher price for tackling the Islamist threat, with more than 30,000 people killed since Sept 11 2001.

Taliban responsible for deadly attack on Pakistan paramilitary training centre - Telegraph

Illusive

Country flag
Its good to hear that Pakistanis are enjoying the fruit of terrorism that was meant only for export to neighboring countries. Hope Pakistani Government give them more and more chances to enjoy their best export product . After all Pakistanis have full right to know specialty of their product. :D
This ain't the first time, remember the attack on sri lankan player's bus in pakistan. But as ususal they would still think India is a bigger threat.

Virendra

Ambassador
Country flag
Pakistan Taliban claimed that it is a revenge strike for OBL's death.

Tomcat

it seems to be a real case of exploding mangos and humans in pakistan my fellow pakistani co workers are preety worried of their state
but yet they balme all this on USA stating it is just bloody propoganda

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
Looks like Pakistan is back in business again. :D. Sorry but really couldn't help it. It is becoming that usual to hear these sort of things.

Sikh_warrior

Professional
RIP to the brave soldiers and sad to see these soldiers become cannon fodder for dirty games of Pak army, ISI & the civil govt.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles