Fresh protests in China's Kunming over chemical plant plan

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Fresh protests in China's Kunming over chemical plant plan

Protesters have taken to the streets of Kunming in China for the second time this month over plans for a refinery.

The government says the plant, set to produce gasoline and petrochemicals including paraxylene, or PX, is essential to the local economy and will meet environmental standards.

But protesters fear it will end up polluting air and water.

Photos on weibo, China's version of Twitter, show people wearing masks and waving banners amid tight security.

The China National Petroleum Corporation plans to build the refinery in the nearby town of Anning. It would produce gasoline, diesel and fertilisers as well as PX.

But not all are in favour of the plan, with some residents asking for the project's environmental review to be made public.

"The refinery is too close to Kunming," a protester was quoted by the South China Morning Post newspaper as saying. "We don't want the refinery."

Reports said several hundred protesters were involved. An estimate by the Associated Press news agency put the number at about 2,000.

On 4 May, hundreds of people also protested against the plant, with some carrying posters warning against the dangers of a PX spill.

A petition has also been posted on the White House website asking the US government to "remonstrate with [the] Chinese government" over the refinery. To date it has over 14,000 signatories.

The petitioners said they feared the plant would "jeopardise human health" because reliable "scientific assessments" had not been made, and PX was potentially carcinogenic.

Two years ago, protests against a PX factory in the city of Dalian forced the city government to close the plant, though it reportedly re-opened later.

China's rapid industrialisation has brought serious environmental concerns - but in recent years public protests have forced some projects to be reconsidered.

BBC News - Fresh protests in China's Kunming over chemical plant plan

China on the boil.

The Chinese are now getting aware that money and the Great Leap of Economy is actually harming them as people!

amoy

ooops how the epitome of democrazy India deals with protesters?

India, u never disappoint me!

amoy

Dare they make a petition to the US govmt?

A petition has also been posted on the White House website asking the US government to "remonstrate with [the] Chinese government" over the refinery. To date it has over 14,000 signatories.

sorcerer

Country flag
Oh my God, India?

[
The petitioners said they feared the plant would "jeopardise human health" because reliable "scientific assessments" had not been made, and PX was potentially carcinogeni
Well..with the nuke power plant..safety regulations are in place and India and the quiet a large number of nations has been operating nuke plants for decades.

such pics dont dilute the gravity of situation inside PRC nor change the reality for people suffering from Pollution .

sorcerer

Country flag
[/IMG]
The whole point of post @Ray was not to show about cops beating up people in PRC..but to point out the fact about saftey regulations and environmental regulations pertaining to an installation.

1)But protesters fear it will end up polluting air and water.

2) some residents asking for the project's environmental review to be made public.

3)The petitioners said they feared the plant would "jeopardise human health" because reliable "scientific assessments" had not been made, and PX was potentially carcinogenic.

Last edited by a moderator:

amoy

Well..with the nuke power plant..safety regulations are in place and India and the quiet a large number of nations has been operating nuke plants for decades.

such pics dont dilute the gravity of situation inside PRC nor change the reality for people suffering from Pollution .
Look how Indian police are ruthlessly beating the demonstrators. I hope the international communtity has heeded such violations of human rights. Those protesters only voiced their concerns over such as nuclear security etc. etc. They deserved better.

As a super power, India shall have become a role model for the 3rd world.

BE the change u wish to see in the world -- Rajeev Gandhi

sorcerer

Country flag
Look how Indian police are ruthlessly beating the demonstrators. I hope the international communtity has heeded such violations of human rights. Those protesters only voiced their concerns over such as nuclear security etc. etc. They deserved better.

Nope..the international community is busy in Tibet.

Correction:
and that quote is by Mahatma Gandhi.

amoy

Nope..the international community is busy in Tibet.

Correction:
and that quote is by Mahatma Gandhi.
ooooops, does Mamata have anything to do with Mahatma?

I can't accept that they even beat the women. My God >>>

Bangalorean

Ambassador
Country flag

Rajeev Gandhi? Don't make me puke - please!!!! :puke:

That is Mahatma Gandhi, the original Gandhi - not these fake NehruGandhis.

sorcerer

Country flag
ooooops, does Mamata have anything to do with Mahatma?

I can't accept that they even beat the women. My God >>>
Mamta has nothing do with Mahatma.

Indian woman are those kind who doesnt sit at home nad cry over broken nail..They join with their male counterparts to take part in democratic affairs. So yes in the crowd a push or a shove...all part of the process..
anywayz...

I can't accept that they even beat the women. My God >>
China'shigh-profile crackdowns on prostitution have made sex workers more vulnerable to abuse by police and clients while failing to curb the trade, a new report says.

Women described being assaulted by police and other security officials until they admitted to being sex workers, leading to them being fined or detained for up to two years without trial.

One told Human Rights Watch: "I was beaten until I turned black and blue, because I wouldn't admit to prostitution."

Another told the group: "They attached us to trees, threw freezing cold water on us, and then proceeded to beat us."

Several interviewees said they had been assaulted by police or by auxiliary workers. Others reported police entrapping them or extorting sex.
China's anti-prostitution policies 'lead to increase in abuse of sex workers' | World news | guardian.co.uk

Vishwarupa

Country flag

Oh my God, India?

India will not disappoint anybody my friend.

The protests in Kundakulam is sponsored by other countries to ruin India. Till date no body is being critically injured or killed in any of the above mentioned protests.Unlike in china where internal security forces( People armed police forces) kill its own people to keep them in check & suppress their freedom. Think about Tiananmen, Tibet & Xinjiang.

Basically chinese people are against their government on their own but they do not have any say under CCP. PAPF budget is inline with its Army(PLA) & PAPF is created just to scuttle the rights of its citizen. PAPF budget was around $111 billion in 2012 compared to military budget of $106.

Why would any country allot more money for internal security than its military? It means CCP hates its own people more than other country men.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional

You are right India is disappointing you, for after all you are used to:

Great 'joyful' massacre, what?

I am sure you enjoy this type of bloodshed to such silly and passive things like water cannons. right?

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
@amoy

A very libreal and loveable country is China.

That is why China's Spending on Internal Police Force in 2010 Outstrips Defense Budget

The Communist Chinese Govt just loves its people!

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
[
I don't think there is any requirement for Indians to petition any Govt, be it the US or otherwise.

Indians have democracy to show the Govt the door and the Supreme Court to ensure justice.

And the Supreme Court is not under the Govt.

amoy

What happened in Kunming, where the Myanmar-China Pipeline thats to be completed this May, ends, in connection with Kunming chemical plants

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles