French Judge: US could've averted Mumbai attacks

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
US could've averted Mumbai attacks

WASHINGTON: The 26/11 Mumbai attacks could have been averted if the then Bush administration had taken seriously the warning and threat perception of Lashkar-e-Taiba's global operations by renowned French judge, a media report said.

Jean-Louis Bruguiere met officials of the Bush administration in 2007 to inform them about the LeT's threat and Pakistan's double game, but US officials were not convinced by his argument , reported PBS's Frontline and ProPublica in a report released on Monday.

Bruguiere argument was based on his investigation of French LeT terrorist Willie Brigitte, who after being caught had confessed to involvement in a foiled bomb plot in Australia.

During his investigation, the judge found that Brigitte's handler LeT handler was Sajid Mir, one of the key architect of the Mumbai terrorist attack. "When Bruguiere questioned Brigitte, the links between Lashkar-e-Taiba , Sajid Mir and Pakistan's intelligence service ISI began to unravel," the report said.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...erted-Mumbai-attacks/articleshow/10837672.cms

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
The comments following the linked article are worth reading.

W.G.Ewald

Professional
Did you know that Bruguiere put Carlos the Jackal away in 2007?

W.G.Ewald

Professional
The comments on times of India aren't worth reading. Its full of trolls and bigots.
Are they bigots and trolls because they are not enlightened enough to know that Uncle Sam is behind every act of evil that occurs on this planet?:frusty:

trackwhack

Are they bigots and trolls because they are not enlightened enough to know that Uncle Sam is behind every act of evil that occurs on this planet?:frusty:
Well, no hard feelings, but Uncle Sam has been behind many an evil act world over. However TOI readers are probably the most deluded literates in our country.

W.G.Ewald

Professional
WASHINGTON: The 26/11 Mumbai attacks could have been averted if the then Bush administration had taken seriously the warning and threat perception of Lashkar-e-Taiba's global operations by renowned French judge, a media report said.
To me the article lacks specific reference as to what the Bush administration should have done had it taken the threat seriously, and how India would have been involved.
I did not see a link to PBS's Frontline and ProPublica reports, but I can tell you both those entities have a record of being extremely anti-Bush (we call it Bush Derangement Syndrome).

Maybe if top ISI guys started waking up in the morning with their throats cut, the threat from that quarter would begin to diminish. Point being, India can do that on its own, can it not? Those Gurkha guys have some BFKs.

i

W.G.Ewald

Professional
Well, no hard feelings, but Uncle Sam has been behind many an evil act world over.
In this case, a sin of omission...

However TOI readers are probably the most deluded literates in our country.
All readers, or just readers who comment? :)

SLASH

I don't think anyone could have foreseen an attack like 26/11. Logistically it was a very planned attack. I mean terrorist coming on a jetty from Pakistan? Any such threat would not have been taken seriously.

SHASH2K2

US ignored report against 26/11 plotter Headley

New Delhi: Just two days before the third anniversary of the 26/11 Mumbai terror attacks in November 2008, an investigative report by the ProPublica website raises more questions about the USA's relationship with Lashkar-e-Toiba operative David Coleman Headley.
The report is an embarrassment for the USA as the ProPublic report claims that the US sat on information that could have led to Headley's arrest and prevented the Mumbai attacks.
According to the report three counter-terror agencies sources say there was enough intelligence gathered about a developing terror plot with Mumbai as the target. Headley's transition to a jihadist had begun while he was an informant with the US Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA).
A ProPublic report claims that the US sat on information that could have led to Headley's arrest.

Headley had been training at Lashkar camps in Pakistan weeks before he officially quit the DEA in March 2002. His role as a DEA informant enabled him to travel back and forth to Mumbai to scout potential targets for the terror strike.
The DEA claims no knowledge of of his terror links even though Headley's wife had informed the US Embassy of his Lashkar links.
The report says that Headley's ISI links were also known to the DEA, which informed other agencies. The US federal government terminated his probation for a drug conviction to send him to Pakistan.
Even though the DEA claims Headley stopped working for it in March 2002 but other agencies say he continued working with them until 2005
They say the DEA even listed him as an asset to other agencies because Headley had a relative in the Pakistani intelligence agency, the ISI.

http://ibnlive.in.com/news/us-ignored-report-against-2611-plotter-headley/205047-3.html

ejazr

Ambassador
I think I would first and foremost blame our intelligence agencies for not realizing the magnitude of this attack and anticipating it and also the government for not equipping our law enforcement and security forces at the domestic front with the equipment and training they need to put such people down.

The US is way down the list for those not helping in averting the Mumbai attacks.

W.G.Ewald

Professional
I think I would first and foremost blame our intelligence agencies for not realizing the magnitude of this attack and anticipating it and also the government for not equipping our law enforcement and security forces at the domestic front with the equipment and training they need to put such people down.

The US is way down the list for those not helping in averting the Mumbai attacks.
Under Clinton's Attorney-General Janet Reno and her underling Jamie Gorelick, the FBI and the CIA were forbidden by the US Department of Justice from sharing information. It is those kinds of political impediments which will always hamper good intelligence.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles