French demand Crown Jewels to compensate for 1499 murder of Edward Platagenet

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Not all of France? Really? Name one part of modern France that was not under Roman occupation?
French Guiana? Like N. Ireland wasn't conquered? :p

They didn't kowtow as easily as the Gauls either. A certain maiden taught them a lesson or two and that's why London is the capital.
Boudica attacked 2 Roman Legions (10,000) with 230,000 and got wiped out only killing 400. It is one of the most embarrassing defeats in military history. That was twenty years after they landed at the time which had almost no resistance. Caesar lost a third of his army invading Gaul.

As for lame examples, I think you beat me on that :)
You are the one giving lame examples, I am the one debunking your fictional webpage myths.

As the Normans weren't French you've lost that argument already. A-L have changed hands more times than a Italians change sides.
That is like saying a Frenchman who immigrates to London whose seventh generation's grandson isn't English after marrying with English for 140 years.

AL is in France isn't it? It isn't leaving? Scotland on the other hand probably will leave the UK.

It does, god on my right

Seems the French are scared of the anglification of their language: France protects itself from the dreaded English language by banning 'fast-food' and 'podcasting' | Mail Online

Now if it was already french that we spoke ...............

Get with the times and give up that outdated underused southern european mish mash and use the queens english (like you do on here)
It isn't my fault you aren't multi-lingual. One of the greatest failures of Anglo education. Aside from the fact of teaching history.

Nope, he was a Norman. How many times do you need telling. he fought the french, he died fighting the french. If he was french and a vassal, why wasn't the king of france made King of England? Because..... now wait for it.... he wasn't French!
How many times do you need telling? He didn't die fighting the King of France.

The Vexin is split into two: the Norman Vexin to the west which will become part of the Duchy of Normandy and the French Vexin east, possession of the King of France . This partition will generate several centuries of conflict between the two neighbors, especially when the Duke of Normandy became king of England in 1066 , and the ambitions of the two sovereigns did not stop growing.

Nevertheless the county of Vexin was not then under the control of the real King of France , but from that of a great feudal lord, Raoul de Gouy , also owner of the counties of Amiens and Valois . In 1063 , Gauthier III de Gouy was poisoned, prisoner of William the Bastard . His cousin Raoul IV de Vexin succeeded him, and his only son Simon de Vexin entered the monastery in 1077 . The King of France Philippe I er took the opportunity to annex the French Vexin in the Kingdom of France 3 .

Vexin français - Wikipédia
Got it now? btw... when the Duke of Normandy was crowned King of England,

he conciliated Philip, King of France, by offering to hold England as his vassal

WILLIAM THE CONQUEROR (1027-1087)
England was a vassal of France, why would Philip need a separate coronation? He didn't do it for any of the other vassals he controlled. :rolleyes:

i forget what we were discussing there, but there you go. I'm trying to keep up with at least three threads .....
Is multi-tasking another failure of Anglo education?

If his Army was french, why wasn't it the french army? Why did they have a seperate contingent? Because..... now wait for it.... he wasn't French and neither was his army! You really are clutching at straws here. But do carry on.
Did you ever take a history class? Vassals had their own armies. It was one of the building blocks of Feudalism and the reason there was so much conflict in the Middle Ages. Schooling you is becoming a full time job...

In one breath you try to say mercanaries from different areas of france now make up a french army, but in the next you say William never fought the french. Which is it? After all, you should be able to say one or t'other
That is what the wiki article you linked to said. I always said they were French to begin with and William never did fight the French King. There were parts of modern day France that were not under his control which is what William was trying to conquer and Phillip I came in and finished the job after his death.

If you're french, that's what you are. Whoever made it up, it's very apt :cool:
It comes from the FOX sitcom The Simpsons...

Willie teaching french - YouTube

No, only the french are cheese eating surrender monkeys. They would be clog wearing surrender monkeys.
Nope, we leave at the agreed timescale, not run away like the french
You didn't run away at Dunkirk while French soldiers held the line so you could get away? You didn't have an entire Field Army surrender to an inferior Japanese force? Each country sets its own timeline, and according to your logic you will run away the same as everyone else. You were already defeated before in Afghanistan so it is best not to make your withdrawal look like a second defeat.

That quote was from the US Marines. Thankfully British security is a tad better and what we think of our erstwhile cousins and their involvement doesn't get to be public knowledge. Frankly I'm grateful for the Americans. Saved my bacon out there.
You failed the mission in Helmand and had to be bailed out. Nothing anyone would really think about except when you try to call out other forces. Think before you speak. We each individually did our jobs, just that your government didn't lead yours well.

as for assange, i sincerely hope he's strung up. Self aggrandising muppet!
I guess you would want that when the truth isn't all you want it to be.

I thought it was to do with cost and maintenance? Still, if the Indians would rather buy French than British/Italian/German, crack on.

I don't think Typhoon fired any cannons in Libya? Did Rafale?
tir des missiles...

Scalieback

Professional
French Guiana? Like N. Ireland wasn't conquered? :p
Seeing as Northern Ireland is part of the United Kingdom and not Great Britain, that'd be another fail by you.

Boudica attacked 2 Roman Legions (10,000) with 230,000 and got wiped out only killing 400. It is one of the most embarrassing defeats in military history. That was twenty years after they landed at the time which had almost no resistance. Caesar lost a third of his army invading Gaul.
No resistance? Read some history particulalry the battles on the Medway and on the crossing of the Thames .

She was defeated after sacking the Roman capital and then London. More than French resistance by any standard.

You are the one giving lame examples, I am the one debunking your fictional webpage myths.
Really? I guess you have a different viewpoint to me, much like your fellow countrymen and building trees on the roads so the German troops can march in the shade :cool:

That is like saying a Frenchman who immigrates to London whose seventh generation's grandson isn't English after marrying with English for 140 years.
If he was French he would have given the crown of England to the French king. He didn't. It's like saying the Dutch are German, n'est pas?

AL is in France isn't it? It isn't leaving? Scotland on the other hand probably will leave the UK.
It's currently in France, with many German sounding names. As for Scotland, I reckon you have enough separists to be going on with than point out ours. If Scotland goes, good luck to it. Saves me loads of tax money ;)

It isn't my fault you aren't multi-lingual. One of the greatest failures of Anglo education. Aside from the fact of teaching history.
Why learn a foreign language when everyone wants to speak yours? Unlike the dustbin language soon to be obliterated spoken in France.

As for teaching history, I think you need some extra lessons as yours is woefully inadequate.

How many times do you need telling? He didn't die fighting the King of France.
In one breath you say William was French, then he was a vassal, then his army was french etc etc. He was a Norman who fought the French. Live with it.

Got it now? btw... when the Duke of Normandy was crowned King of England,
He was. Not the King of France. I guess you've got it now

England was a vassal of France, why would Philip need a separate coronation? He didn't do it for any of the other vassals he controlled. :rolleyes:
Of course he said that. Politics dear boy. If the King of France wanted England he wouldn't have let a paltry vassal hold it it, surely? He would have one of his sons hold it. Get used to the facts Vichy boy

Is multi-tasking another failure of Anglo education?
I'm a man, multi tasking is for women and the effeminate French. Next.

Did you ever take a history class? Vassals had their own armies. It was one of the building blocks of Feudalism and the reason there was so much conflict in the Middle Ages. Schooling you is becoming a full time job...
Schooling me? You've got two points so far. That's it. The rest is a big fat freddie (fail).

If you really believe, bearing in mind the politics of the time; that William sincerely thought of himself as a vassal of France, whilst fighting the French, you need a quiet word with yourself. If the King of France really wanted England I'm sure he would have given it to a son or trusted Lord. He didn't because he knew that he would lose against the Normans, who for the final time were not French.

In any case, 1066 was our last defeat. France's was only seventy two years ago. :cool:

2me REP. Hmm, an army of foreigners fighting for the French who are too scared to fight their own battles

That is what the wiki article you linked to said. I always said they were French to begin with and William never did fight the French King. There were parts of modern day France that were not under his control which is what William was trying to conquer and Phillip I came in and finished the job after his death.
Parts of modern day France that were not under his control, like Normandy.

It comes from the FOX sitcom The Simpsons...

Willie teaching french - YouTube
I do know. I was an avid fan then moved onto Family Guy

You didn't run away at Dunkirk while French soldiers held the line so you could get away?
Another fallacy. British soldiers held the line and we withdrew from Dunkirk as the French were being routed by the boxheads. Read up on Op Dynamo.

You didn't have an entire Field Army surrender to an inferior Japanese force? Each country sets its own timeline, and according to your logic you will run away the same as everyone else.
We did have an entire field army surrender. Your nation surrendered.

You were already defeated before in Afghanistan so it is best not to make your withdrawal look like a second defeat.
I think you'll find it's our fourth war in Afghanistan. Lost one, won one, drew one and the current one. At least we're staying unlike the cheese eating surrender monkeys.

You failed the mission in Helmand and had to be bailed out. Nothing anyone would really think about except when you try to call out other forces. Think before you speak. We each individually did our jobs, just that your government didn't lead yours well.
Really? You've been there? You saw what was happening? I thought not.

If you knew anything about Helmand and Kandahar to the east you'd know why there has been such a problem in that province.

Call out other forces? I've not denigrated French action in Afghanistan, only their preponderance for running away as in the French decision not theirs not to undertake combat ops and withdraw. Actually I do know a bit about the French in Afghanistan from a tour in 07/8.

I guess you would want that when the truth isn't all you want it to be.
No, I feel for the people who he messed about and operations he compromised. He's a self serving muppet and frankly I hope he dies a lingering death as I'm sure many do who are victim of his so called 'freedom of expresiion'

tir des missiles...
So why say shots then? Another fat freddie. Keep it up though :)

Scalieback

Professional
Shouldn't they?
Yep, they won't though.

That realisation is of late.

Notice the condescension of the British regarding the Soviet chaps.

As if the Russians were chumps who made good!

The British too faced great reverses - Dunkirk and Burma. But then it was projected as event where great stoic and determination was shown! But of course, the Russia are not allowed that leeway.

would this not also apply to the British if one were commenting on Dunkirk and Burma
Of course it was British pluck and determination old boy. Snatching victory from the jaws of defeat! In fact, it's such good propoganda it's still believed today :)

With regard to the Russians, I think Stalin's actions and retreating into his dacha say more than Churchill and the King and Queen living through the blitz.

Maybe!

But again, some books suggests that the US was only requiring a spark to come and help UK and Pearl Harbour provided it.

But then again, who is one to believe or disbelieve?
It only took a spark. The cry in WW1 was 'remember the Lusitania' I wouldn't be surprised if Truman and Churchill knew about the attack before it happened. Funny how the aircraft carriers weren't there ;)

Last edited:

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Seeing as Northern Ireland is part of the United Kingdom and not Great Britain, that'd be another fail by you.

Better tell the map makers!

No resistance? Read some history particulalry the battles on the Medway and on the crossing of the Thames .
Really? He conquered England with 20,000 men. It took 120,000 to conquer France. The only real trouble they had was in Scotland, hence Hadrian's wall.

She was defeated after sacking the Roman capital and then London. More than French resistance by any standard.
She sacked Rome? They outnumbered Roman Legions 23:1 and lost 80,000 to 400. It is the most lopsided defeat in history. The only victory was catching a single Legion out of formation which left London undefended with the campaign in the West.

Really? I guess you have a different viewpoint to me, much like your fellow countrymen and building trees on the roads so the German troops can march in the shade :cool:
Germans beat France twice, France beat Germans thrice.

If he was French he would have given the crown of England to the French king. He didn't. It's like saying the Dutch are German, n'est pas?
The Dutch spoke Flemmish, not German so it isn't like saying.

It's currently in France, with many German sounding names. As for Scotland, I reckon you have enough separists to be going on with than point out ours. If Scotland goes, good luck to it. Saves me loads of tax money ;)
Loses you even more oil. ;)

Why learn a foreign language when everyone wants to speak yours? Unlike the dustbin language soon to be obliterated spoken in France.
Everyone doesn't want to speak yours. That is why you get offended when France cuts out English words from the lexicon. You have Francophobia...

As for teaching history, I think you need some extra lessons as yours is woefully inadequate.
This coming from a guy who uses a spoof wiki page as his reference. :laugh:

In one breath you say William was French, then he was a vassal, then his army was french etc etc. He was a Norman who fought the French. Live with it.
You have already been schooled on that... just shows how arrogant you are to the facts.

He was. Not the King of France. I guess you've got it now
I always had it, William served Phillip I as his vassal. You apparently don't know what that means.

Of course he said that. Politics dear boy. If the King of France wanted England he wouldn't have let a paltry vassal hold it it, surely? He would have one of his sons hold it. Get used to the facts Vichy boy
Phillip I didn't have his first child until 1081. When was the Battle of Hastings... do the math chav boy.

I'm a man, multi tasking is for women and the effeminate French. Next.
It is for the intelligent. Next...

Schooling me? You've got two points so far. That's it. The rest is a big fat freddie (fail).
I count half a dozen obvious points with another half left to your obfuscation of fact. You might have me on one.

If you really believe, bearing in mind the politics of the time; that William sincerely thought of himself as a vassal of France, whilst fighting the French, you need a quiet word with yourself. If the King of France really wanted England I'm sure he would have given it to a son or trusted Lord. He didn't because he knew that he would lose against the Normans, who for the final time were not French.
Philip had no children to give it to. Louis the VI wouldn't be old enough to take the throne for another 40 years.

In any case, 1066 was our last defeat. France's was only seventy two years ago. :cool:
There have been 53 major wars in Europe
France had been a belligerent in 49 of them; UK 43.
In 189 battles that France had fought over the past 800 years, their armies had won 136 times,
lost 43 times and drawn only 10.
Giving the French military the best record of any country in Europe."
How's that ?

2me REP. Hmm, an army of foreigners fighting for the French who are too scared to fight their own battles
Half of la Legion are French citizens. :shocked:

Parts of modern day France that were not under his control, like Normandy
Normandy was a vassal so it was under his control. Vexin was not which is what William was trying to take and Philip I came in and finished the job.

I do know. I was an avid fan then moved onto Family Guy
Don't ruin Family Guy.

Another fallacy. British soldiers held the line and we withdrew from Dunkirk as the French were being routed by the boxheads. Read up on Op Dynamo.
How could they hold the line when they were embarking on ships? Read up on the battle of Lille and how 40,000 Frenchmen sacrificed their lives to save your retreating Army against 120,000 Nazis lead by Rommel among others. No reason to be an ingrate when they saved the British Army from annihilation.

We did have an entire field army surrender. Your nation surrendered.
And the BEF would have surrendered if 1st Army hadn't held off the Germans. If UK shared a land border with Germany it would have collapsed even faster considering the poor state of the British Army. Only the Soviets were able to stop them after losing 5X the land and troops of France and a winter we didn't have. Now getting back to Singapore, you outnumbered the Japanese almost 3:1 and surrendered in one week. That is really sad.

I think you'll find it's our fourth war in Afghanistan. Lost one, won one, drew one and the current one. At least we're staying unlike the cheese eating surrender monkeys.
You lost 1840, 1880 and had a draw in 1919... considering your poor performance in Sangin, I don't know to call that a victory. What ever happened to that force retreating in 1842? 20,000 left and only one returned. :shocked:

Really? You've been there? You saw what was happening? I thought not.
Yeah, I have with 2eme REP. I have known many British paras and they had far more respect for France.

If you knew anything about Helmand and Kandahar to the east you'd know why there has been such a problem in that province.
Because you didn't have enough resources and will to deal with the problem. USMC did a bang up job after they relieved you in Sangin.

Call out other forces? I've not denigrated French action in Afghanistan, only their preponderance for running away as in the French decision not theirs not to undertake combat ops and withdraw. Actually I do know a bit about the French in Afghanistan from a tour in 07/8.
Apparently you didn't even read the article you posted which said 1,400 French troops would stay until 2014. So another one of your baseless claims is thrown out the window. French troops were nowhere near Helmand so I can't imagine what you would know. I served with several former British paras as brothers and never had a negative word to say. There is nothing wrong with your soldiers guy except low morale, but your leadership sucks.

No, I feel for the people who he messed about and operations he compromised. He's a self serving muppet and frankly I hope he dies a lingering death as I'm sure many do who are victim of his so called 'freedom of expresiion'
I feel for your soldiers who have to suffer such incompetent leadership and lack of resources. But then that was Labour's fault?

So why say shots then? Another fat freddie. Keep it up though
If I shoot a missile I have taken the shot. It works...

Last edited:

Scalieback

Professional

Better tell the map makers!
I will, Northern ireland is part of the United Kingdom. The full title being 'The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern ireland', hint hint. Another fail .....

Really? He conquered England with 20,000 men. It took 120,000 to conquer France. The only real trouble they had was in Scotland, hence Hadrian's wall.
Oh dear. How long did the campaign take? Anyway, Julius licked the French and ran away from the Brits, getting back to the point :cool:

She sacked Rome? They outnumbered Roman Legions 23:1 and lost 80,000 to 400. It is the most lopsided defeat in history. The only victory was catching a single Legion out of formation which left London undefended with the campaign in the West.
Try Colchester, then London. Feeding falsehoods is always the french way

Germans beat France twice, France beat Germans thrice.
Aided by? Your nation, I mean your whole country and it's empire capitulated. Not only that it collaborated! You only need to see now that Germany is doing economically what it couldn't do militarily. Then again, as your gold reserves are where?

The Dutch spoke Flemmish, not German so it isn't like saying.
The Dutch have been trying not to speak German for centuries. Look where it's got them. He didn't give the throne to the French king. Nor did his son etc etc.

Loses you even more oil.
Whose oil? Territorial waters. Oil companies ........ Still, doesn't fault my points re A-L :cool:

Everyone doesn't want to speak yours. That is why you get offended when France cuts out English words from the lexicon. You have Francophobia...
No need, dustbin language. English is the language of the air and the default language of the sea. Get used to it old boy ;)

This coming from a guy who uses a spoof wiki page as his reference.
Oh dear. I'm responding to dozens of posters and one quick link I made is lapped up by the frog. Tres bien monsewer, tres bien :rolleyes:

You have already been schooled on that... just shows how arrogant you are to the facts.
Hallo pot, this is kettle. You are loud and clear. Get with the facts. He either fought as a frenchman for the king of france or he didn't. My money is on the latter.

I always had it, William served Phillip I as his vassal. You apparently don't know what that means.
If he was his vassal, why wasn't Phil the King of England?

Phillip I didn't have his first child until 1081. When was the Battle of Hastings... do the math chav boy.
Chav? From a frenchman, ha ha ha ha ha ha ha You should go on the stage

It is for the intelligent. Next...
It's for girls and the french (which is the same thing), NEXT!

I count half a dozen obvious points with another half left to your obfuscation of fact. You might have me on one.
I have you on everything but two points that I've even forgotten they're so trivial. Give in, just like your national trait

Philip had no children to give it to. Louis the VI wouldn't be old enough to take the throne for another 40 years.
Okay, a cousin, a niece, a dog? He didn't because he couldn't.

There have been 53 major wars in Europe
France had been a belligerent in 49 of them; UK 43.
In 189 battles that France had fought over the past 800 years, their armies had won 136 times,
lost 43 times and drawn only 10.
Giving the French military the best record of any country in Europe."
How's that ?
Major wars? You mean skirmishes, surely? Your nation signed its absolute capitulation in a railway carriage not twenty odd years after it gleefully took revenge on Germany. 72 years versus nearly a thousand .....

Half of la Legion are French citizens. :shocked:
I am, seeing as it's supposed to be strangers. Thought only officers were french, but I do recall in the dim and distant past something about french citizens being allowed to join. 50%? Really? Source?

Normandy was a vassal so it was under his control. Vexin was not which is what William was trying to take and Philip I came in and finished the job.
You sign a piece of paper and the french think it's cut and dried. Vassal my butt! He was as much a vassal as I'm french.

Don't ruin Family Guy.
No, you don't ruin a perfectly good cartoon by saying a frenchman watches it

How could they hold the line when they were embarking on ships? Read up on the battle of Lille and how 40,000 Frenchmen sacrificed their lives to save your retreating Army against 120,000 Nazis lead by Rommel among others. No reason to be an ingrate when they saved the British Army from annihilation.
Oh dear, you've got personal now. I must be getting on your nerves :cool; I never said I was ungrateful for the sacrifices made muppet! The Brits held the line whilst the evacuation continued, we then took as many french as Brits onboard to fight with the jumped up Colonel.

And the BEF would have surrendered if 1st Army hadn't held off the Germans. If UK shared a land border with Germany it would have collapsed even faster considering the poor state of the British Army. Only the Soviets were able to stop them after losing 5X the land and troops of France and a winter we didn't have. Now getting back to Singapore, you outnumbered the Japanese almost 3:1 and surrendered in one week. That is really sad.
We did, we surrendered an entire army that was losing the fight and had run out of water. If they had known what was going to happen to them .... Then again, your entire nation and empire surrendered. Now that is really, really, really sad.

You lost 1840, 1880 and had a draw in 1919... considering your poor performance in Sangin, I don't know to call that a victory. What ever happened to that force retreating in 1842? 20,000 left and only one returned. :shocked:
Oh dear, you do need to read up on your history. It's like the legion battle honours, remembering defeats such as Camerone and Dien Bien Phu

Yeah, I have with 2eme REP. I have known many British paras and they had far more respect for France.
To your face and soldiers always do in any case.

I sincerely doubt you're 2 REP frankly for a number of reasons, not least of which 2 REP were only there in 2010 IIRC. For a start, you don't understand banter and got personal :cool:

You're just quoting Wikileaks. Now if we look at what the yanks say about the French ...... Patton for one. That's the problem with Wikileaks, didn't realise the harm it would cause.

Because you didn't have enough resources and will to deal with the problem. USMC did a bang up job after they relieved you in Sangin.
How many troops? How many helicopters? How many aircraft? How many armoured vehicles? How many deaths? The US Marine Corps is bigger than the entire Brit armed forces.

As for the french in Afg, you're just quoting Wikileaks. I'm quoting your President.

Apparently you didn't even read the article you posted which said 1,400 French troops would stay until 2014. So another one of your baseless claims is thrown out the window. French troops were nowhere near Helmand so I can't imagine what you would know.
Try Kandahar. Been on exercise in the UK with them as well. Doing comabat operations are they?

I served with several former British paras as brothers and never had a negative word to say. There is nothing wrong with your soldiers guy except low morale, but your leadership sucks.
I agree with you, for once and as I said above, soldiers will always get along. You've taken the banter far too seriously to be a proper squaddie

I feel for your soldiers who have to suffer such incompetent leadership and lack of resources. But then that was Labour's fault?
Yep. Assange should be strung up though and I'll pull the trapdoor handle!

If I shoot a missile I have taken the shot. It works...
Nah, fire a missile. Stop wheedling and admit it, just this once. You know you want to ........

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles