France pitching AIP Scorpene as Project 75A contender

Discussion in 'Indian Navy' started by pyromaniac, Apr 1, 2009.

1. pyromaniac

pyromaniac Founding Member

The Typhoon is not in service anymore and I have to repeat what I was saying to rage. When it comes to SSBN's nothing beats the Ohio.

2. Pintu

Pintu New Member

Typhoon , I think are replaced by Borei.

3. pyromaniac

yeah it is smaller than the Typhoon(which sub isn't?? lol) but it can carry just about the same number of missiles

4. pyromaniac

To put it simply...Diesel Electric subs are better at the Attack role than nuclear ones. Then again..if India was inclined to sink about 30 billion dollars to research a state of the art Nuclear attack sub that would be different but a diesel electric powered attack boats works out simpler...

5. SATISH

SATISH DFI Technocrat Stars and Ambassadors

But wassnt the Bulava testfired from the Dimitry Donskoy.....

6. pyromaniac

The Bulava is just the SLBM...I guess the Typhoon and the Borei use the same launch tubes

7. SATISH

SATISH DFI Technocrat Stars and Ambassadors

Borei is not yet operational.....it must be the Delta you are talking about. But Delta cant be used to fire the missile as it is only for some other missile I forgot.

8. pyromaniac

Its operational...just not commissioned yet

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borei

9. Pintu

Pintu New Member

Self Deleted.

10. Pintu

Pintu New Member

Borei is operational from 15th April, 2007, 1 has been completed, I am providing the link from Wikipedia here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borei

11. kuku

kuku Respected Member

What is the difference in life cycle costs between nuclear and conventional/AIP operated submarines?

12. Rage

Rage DFI TEAM Stars and Ambassadors

K, my apologies for the somewhat belated response.

Assuming a typical service life of 30 yrs. for the average nuclear sub, I would assume refuelling and modernization costs of about $200 million (in constant dollars) at the half-life stage. If towards the end of its service life, another extensive refit and refuelling is done to the tune of about $400 million, that would extend the life of the average nuclear sub by about 12 years. That, over and above the average annual maintenance costs usually equating to between $20-22 million, would imply a total life-service cost of approximately $1.5 billion. For a USS Seawolf (SSN-21) class nuclear submarine, with acquisition costs of about $2.1 billion, that totals to a lifecycle cost of about $3.6 billion (again, in constant dollars). Or for a Los Angeles (SSN-688) or USS Virginia (SSN-774) class nuclear sub, with average procurement costs of about $1 billion and $1.6 billion respectively, that would total to lifecycle costs of about $2.5 billion and $3.1 billion respectively.

On the other hand, typical per unit procurement costs for submarines using air-independent propulsion systems such as HDW [Howaltswerke-Deutsche Werft] or Thyssen Nordseewerke [TNSW] systems vary anywhere between $100 [the Swedish Gotland class diesel-electric featuring the Sterling AIP] to 500 million dollars [India acquired her 6 Scorpenes for USD 3billion, albeit with full ToT]. Mid-life upgrades and servicing costs also vary significantly, but based on the British 'Upholder' (Candian 'Victoria' / Type 2400) class submarine, retrofitted with an AIP system, annual per-unit operating costs (based on its 'Oberon' program and a highly conservative estimate that factored smaller crews and a new Upholder technology) were estimated at about $22.5 million each, and routine overhaul costs at $250 million over the life of the submarine. Bear in mind however that the submarines were purchase second-hand and at a cost of $152.5 million each, but if their mid-life refit and servicing costs are extrapolated [debatable since AIP technology has made rapid strides in recent years] to say the Scorpene class submarine, that would represent a total lifecycle cost of between 1.4 - 1.5 billion in constant cost dollars.

In addition, the HDW and MESMA systems are extremely quiet- far quieter than any nuclear/steam plant infact, rendering an added stealth advantage to AIP submarines in minimizing acoustic detection by underwater passive sonar arrays.

13. kuku

kuku Respected Member

Thank you for posting that.

There were some documents on line about the cost of safe disposal of decommed nuclear submarines which were released in relation with the money that USA and other nations gave to the Russians for safe disposal of its large amount of nuclear submarines left from the Soviet era, i can not find that, if you have information on that aspect of nuclear submarines, please do share.

14. Rage

Rage DFI TEAM Stars and Ambassadors

You're most welcome.

Are you referring to this? : Russian Nuclear Submarines: U.S. Participation in the Arctic Military Environmental Cooperation Program Needs Better Justification

15. kuku

kuku Respected Member

Thats the one, these nuclear submarines require a whole set up after decommissioning, they just keep on costing more and more.

I suppose the US and allies must have come to know a great deal about soviet engineering due to this exercise.