Forum Suggestions Thread

Rage

DFI TEAM
I think the 'General Talk' section needs to be reworked with immediate effect. It's getting too cluttered with all and sundry that doesn't fit anywhere else being thrown into that section. Here's how I propose it be done: have a separate subforum each for Sports, Movies&Music, and Arts&Literature, and retain a 'General Talk' section for everything else. There are several new threads that I wish to post and have stickied for future reference, but the already large number of stickied threads in that section makes for one not very inviting gesture. And I strongly suggest that this be done sooner rather than later, lest we reach a point where moving all the threads to their respective subforums simply becomes too painful and tedious a procedure. Nip it in the bud, strike while the iron is hot, etc etc.

I also think we badly need a separate Social & Political issues subforum to discuss matters in a not-necessarily "current affairs" context. Remember, we are a vast country with a vast population with much that is of relevance, and so a separate Political&Social Issues subforum would not be a bad investment.

My two cents...

thakur_ritesh

Ambassador
Rage, i have always had a problem with too many forums/sub forums.

people who lets say have just an hour to spend on the forum every day have really no time to scan the whole forum and with too many forums/sub forums it becomes next to impossible to give quality time, and quality inputs and eventually people tend to loose interest in forums other than 1-2 which concerns them and the idea has to be larger participation of a member than him being limited to just 1-2 forums.
secondly it is very important that a defence forum does not get digressed from its initial intent with which it was formed, yup there have to be other issues of importance that need to be addressed/covered but they should not be taking up a lot of space of the forum.

the one solution i have is to have dedicated threads which if need be can be made sticky, beyond that extra creation of forums is a certain no-no.

Rage

DFI TEAM
Thakur_ritesh, I understand the sentiment behind the response, but I can tell you right now that having only a single forum for miscellaneous topics will not deter the great majority of posters from posting non-defence-related material in that section. Having two other subforums for Sports and Music/Cinema is merely a convenience: an effort to sort into an organized manner the tumble of threads we already have in the General section. Placing it down at the bottom of the forum main page also means that it is less likely of a distraction to members that only wish to participate in defense-related discussions. I know for one that the number of threads in the General Section is going to vastly increase (it is already the second-most responded to section on the forum)- and regardless of whether we divide that subforum or not. Sorting it out into the two other most common topics is simply a way to better organization and minimizing clutter.

Now to the issue of this being primarily a 'defense forum' for defence-related discusssions- agreed, but again I do not see that having these two subforums at the bottom of the index page will detract from its participation. If members here cannot have the will to restrict ourselves to only those subforums in which we can participate, or the self-control to prioritize our responses where time is of constraint, then we are not mature enough to be posting on this forum in the first place. The fact of the matter is that a defence forum intended purely for defence-related discussion makes for a very dry affair (the reason for the 'General Talk' section in the first place) and we stand more likely to gain new members with the presence of a few subforums that digress from the main topic (but remain India-centric nevertheless) that might not be at first as inclined to military-matters as we are, but may still have something useful to contribute. Moreover, by virtue of the fact that this forum is on the world-wide web, it is also a representation of what India is to the outside world. And measures of power in terms of sporting prowess, or cinematic achievements or literary or musical exploits should not be shied from.

As for a Social/Political issues forum, that is something we definitely need- especially for a country where these issues have such a huge bearing on defence and national integrity. The term 'Defence' is a cumulative affair, with military, strategic, economic, social and political manifestations. And as you rightly said, this forum is a 'defence forum', not just a military one.

A.V.

the team is working on the issue in detail already, the aim is to reach a perfect balance. we aim to keep the forum focussed on serious defence related stuff while adding links and alternate pages for the fun and entertainment loving, means we would like to keep the defence forum dedicated having only defence discussions and a complete different pagefor those we want to enjoy other stuff too.
a prime example would be the DFI blog which will have a diffrent interface and page from the forum page, the forum page/section will be updated keeping in view all the suggestions from the members.

A.V.

rage the forum has being upgraded keeping in mind ritesh and your suggestion we did not increase any forum just altered the set up.

solved the general chat centre problem, deleted the south asia subforum and joined the china and pakistan forums, started a poll section which will be a big hit.

a new subforum for the war history is placed just to make things clear about the past war and let the people know the actual truth, many forums here tend to alter history and put in their own views so need to make citizens know the real facts.

so no new forums added focus stays on the defence matters more and becomes more india centric.

as forum grows necessary changes will be made do post in your views on this.

shiv

moderators i think you did a great job on this new interface of the forum,But let me point out that you have made it too organized and complex for the users to appreciate its beauty..........
and new members will definitely not like or understand the navigation of the forum because they don't have much time for it....

i will give you an example-->instead of only having ARMY,NAVY,IAF,MISC image sections ,you have organized and separated the section to even include t-72 and BMP sub sections......
this is very unnecessary and unappealing to current and will be i can guarantee to new members...

again remember this is just a suggestion as i wish to only see this forum grow....
we should really have a easy and simple interface like we had previously,you have made this site too complex,i hope you will take action on my request/suggestions.
happy new year(indian calender).....

A.V.

shiv we put the gallery up for moderation and hope to see some changes soon

Pintu

Invincible, dear brother, are there any poll regarding the fighters vying for MRCA competition, if not then why not start a poll ? like this as 'Which Fighter do you think can win MRCA deal' ?

a. Mig -35

b. Rafale.

c. F-16

d. F-18

e. Eurofighter Typhoon

f. Gripen NG

Regards,

Pintu

A.V.

pintu check the debate and poll section sticky thread there is already one there and its very popular.

Pintu

Thanks invincible,

I'll sure check it.

Regards.

Pintu

Auberon

Thread subscription should be automatic to the thread you post on, so you can see from User CP which threads have been active since you posted on them rather than searching through the posts.

A.V.

auberon there is an issue with the subscription threads its a bug in the new vbulletin that we are using we already notified the team once an update is available we will fix this issue.

Payeng

Daku Mongol Singh
pintu check the debate and poll section sticky thread there is already one there and its very popular.
Do some thing to merge both threads InVi. Vayusena1 is not commenting on that thread.

A.V.

payeng its a poll and debate thread while the mrca news and update thread is different it relates to the actual news stories and updates the poll thread is for personal opinions and choices with reasonable argument.

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
I feel that the default text size in the posts is a tad bit smaller and it is really straining my eyes. Can the default text size be increased to next possible size.

Thanks
DD

Vinod2070

मध्यस्थ
Ambassador
^^ Agree. Also can we see the names of members active on the thread at the bottom. That gives a feeling of fellowship on a thread.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles