Former PCB chairman Izaz Butt calls Big Three 'sons of pigs'

Srinivas_K

Country flag
Pakistan seeks roadmap for politicised sport

ISLAMABAD: After 66 years, 28 chairmen and slew of controversies, Pakistan is still wrangling over how to run cricket in a country where millions follow it passionately.

Last week, Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif dismissed Zaka Ashraf as the chairman of the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB), unseating him for the second time in a year.

In his place, Sharif appointed a committee headed by senior journalist Najam Sethi, who has been asked to devise a constitution which would give the country its first truly-elected cricket board chairman.

But critics fear a continuation of political meddling in an organisation which has long seen its chairman handpicked by leaders who reward supporters with the prestigious job.

"It's totally incorrect to appoint a political person," said Sirajul Islam Bukhari, a former president of the Karachi cricket association, who says Pakistan has "failed to find a roadmap".

In 1962, military ruler Ayub Khan started the trend whereby presidents would appoint the cricket chief, leading to a succession of military men, judges, businessmen, former players, diplomats and politicians in the top position.

Some of them had highly questionable credentials. A serving lieutenant general who was made PCB chief from 1984-88 once asked: "Why doesn't the board give all players the man of the match award?"

Many former players and experts want the PCB to hold elections to choose the most qualified leader available without political interference.

Sethi has promised to do this, telling reporters after his nomination that he planned to "restore the prestige of Pakistan cricket" by forming the new constitution.

But former Pakistan captain-turned-politician Imran Khan has derided his promotion, saying he was being rewarded for loyalty to Sharif.

"How can you have accountability of a man who is the president's man? That's why our board can never be run on professional lines," he says.

In Bangladesh and Sri Lanka, cricket chiefs are also appointed by the ruling party, but major cricketing powers such as India, England and Australia have presidents elected by members of local associations.

Former PCB chief executive Arif Abbasi fears Pakistan's membership of the International Cricket Council (ICC) could be under threat over "government interference".

"The ICC had warned Pakistan on three occasions on 'outside actions'," Abbasi explained.

"I fear that the ICC may put our membership in abeyance. If it happens it would be unfortunate as we are an important member of the ICC."

After an attack on the Sri Lankan cricket team in Lahore in March 2009, which led to the suspension of international cricket in Pakistan, the ICC formed a task force to propose changes.

Among them, it recommended the ending of political appointments, but the PCB rejected the advice, saying it was "not viable".

Last year, the internal problems of the sport were exacerbated by a series of court cases.

Thirty-three out of 114 cricket associations are ensnared in legal action, with some cases directed at the PCB and others over dubious elections or other issues.

The case that led former PCB chief Ashraf to be deposed for the first time began in May last year.

He amended the PCB's constitution with the approval of the board's patron, President Asif Zardari, to allow himself to be elected as chairman by a nomination committee of four members.

That was instantly challenged legally, and the Islamabad High Court suspended him and ruled that the prime minister should be the patron of the PCB instead of the president.

Reputed cricket writer Osman Samiuddin sums up the situation as "dangerous".

"Ironically, instead of depoliticising the board either through a ceremonial apolitical president/patron, the Islamabad High Court has effectively ensured that the board will remain beholden to political winds prevailing in Pakistan," he said.

"You can argue that it has always been the case but this move has formalised it."

Pakistan seeks roadmap for politicised sport - The Times of India

Srinivas_K

Country flag
India, Pakistan can rise above Big Three plan to strike a balance

"I am not a victim of emotional conflicts, I am human." This Marilyn Monroe quote caught my attention as I analysed the various aspects of the Big Three puzzle recently.

All sorts of ideas are being thrown at the people running the cricket affairs today in how to go about dealing with the Big Three plan. However, the fact of the matter is there are only two options available to the Pakistan Cricket Board [PCB]; they should either go for the revamp plan presented by the Big Three or it should put its foot down once and for all.

The first option is easy while the second choice would bring in the consequences. Since the required number of votes [8 out of 10] have been acquired by the ICC for the revamp plan, even a clear 'no' from the PCB wouldn't raise many concerns amongst the big players. Instead, it will further spoil the relationship between Pakistan and the rest of the cricketing world.

The emotional part of the puzzle, as far as Pakistan is concerned, is India here, mainly due to their age-old relationship as arch-rivals both on and off the field. The other two nations — England and Australia — are seen as lesser evils by the majority in Pakistan.

Let me confess that in the beginning I was also amongst the fierce critics of the proposed revamp. But as time went by, the situation kept on changing. Had Pakistan lobbied adequately in the beginning and played its cards right, the scenario would have been different. The present stage, however, doesn't demand any more diplomacy. Today, the PCB needs to think about its own interest only.

Coming back to the lesser 'evils' England and Australia, would any Board mind frequent home and away series with these countries? Absolutely nobody would mind this prospect, then why shouldn't the PCB cash in on the offer? Yes, there is that 'loss of money' aspect which comes into play after the implementation of the Big Three plan since it would cut down the annual ICC grant. But at the same time, it would create more opportunities to play bilateral series, hence more monetary benefit would be achieved.

Now onto the crucial India factor. As per my information the Board of Governors of the PCB also discussed the Indo-Pak matter specifically. The minutes of the Jan 18 Governing Board session proves that it reviewed the BCCI's proposal in detail. The meeting was also informed about the telephonic discussion between the PCB and the BCCI in which it was conveyed that the PCB could potentially become the fourth permanent member of the 'Big Three Group' and would also benefit from extra funding in the form of additional Pakistan-India tours.

Indeed, playing with India is profitable for the PCB or any other cricket Board for that matter. But it is also a fact that the BCCI is compelled to give a lot of importance to Pakistan the reason for which, as I mentioned above, is the monetary value.

For instance, the revenue BCCI will get as a result of bilateral series with Pakistan will be much, much higher than a series with say England, New Zealand or even South Africa.

As per my information, the BCCI has agreed to six bilateral series with Pakistan in the next 8-9 years — from 2015 to 2023. This would mean three home tours for PCB which could be worth over $100 million. It is indeed a lucrative proposition and, if taken at face value, resolves the money issue handsomely for the PCB. But will India honour its commitment is the big question here.

The most Pakistan could do is seek a formal guarantee from the Indian Board with a compensation clause so that a 'no-show' from either side would not financially harm the respective Boards. However, the counter question here can be, how desperately the BCCI needs Pakistan's support at the moment? The boards of Pakistan and India do face hindrances due to the political tensions between them, but in view of the financial gains, I feel India would be more than willing to play with Pakistan and the BCCI would not hesitate to sit with the PCB to work something out despite the prevailing situation.

Here, I would like to point out that while financially the PCB is not as strong today as it used to be and the administrative affairs are also hurting its cause to a great extent, it can still control some of the key factors that bring in the dividends.

The PCB does generate money but that can be doubled if right investment policies are adopted. Currently, the Board is adhering to the easiest and the safest way by putting the money in the banks and acquiring a sizeable interest on it. This isn't the appropriate manner, however. The PCB should formulate investment plans and by smartly investing money in the various business sectors, they can earn a whole lot more than what they currently do.

But again, even a million dollar per day wouldn't be enough if the execution of plans and strategies are not proper or methodical. So let's put the house in order first to address the other issues with confidence and wisdom.

The writer is a former Pakistan captain

India, Pakistan can rise above Big Three plan to strike a balance - DAWN.COM

feathers

Tihar Jail
Banned
Influence ?? Those days were gone ,now BCCI rules ICC, but in both the cases pakistan ka band bajega
So here you are saying that BCCI can help out PCB, Can you imagine cricket without Pakistan ?

Blackwater are you from Indian Sub Continent ?

Blackwater

So here you are saying that BCCI can help out PCB, Can you imagine cricket without Pakistan ?

Blackwater are you from Indian Sub Continent ?
No!! @Blackwater is an alien .................... :shocked:
Dont get you :confused: You mean immigrant in EU .
I am just joking ..... ;)
Iam desi from punjab , I know cricket , I know indo pak cricket imp,

There are several ways BCCI and ICC cheif shrinivasan can squeeze PCB ,not necessary banning them or boycotting them

Last edited by a moderator:

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
Thread title needs correct spelling.

feathers

Tihar Jail
Banned
Iam desi from punjab , I know cricket , I know indo pak cricket imp,

There are several ways BCCI and ICC cheif shrinivasan can squeeze PCB ,not necessary banning them or boycotting them
There should be good reason for squeezing in sports by BCCI and ICC , Can you name the reasons?

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles