Forgotten stories of Indian soldiers during World War I

Simple_Guy

The BIA did both good and bad things. Jallianwala Bagh was bad but crushing of the Muslim mercenaries called Pindaris/Pathans was good.

They also crushed the idea of a separate Islamic sovereignty in India, which was good. But they revived it a century later with the pakistan movement and divided the BIA.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Last edited by a moderator:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
A mercenary will necessarily be a combatant who fights for money.

Stoking the fire of a steam locomotive in the days of the Raj does not make one a mercenary, however, certainly a servant of the Empire.

I have a problem equating the British Army (British Indian Army or whatever nomenclature one wishes to use), with the Indian Army and Paramilitaries. In my perception, that is sacrilege. @Known_Unknown gave a very good example of Jalliwanwalla Bagh. I stand by what I said. Those soldiers should never be called "Indian soldiers." The term "mercenary" is appropriate.
Mercenary in NOT necessarily the sole individual who is a combatant who fights for money.

Mercenary also means

mercenary

ˈməːsɪn(ə)ri/Submit
adjective
primarily concerned with making money at the expense of ethics.

Given the ethical angle being raised by you all, then all in the service of the British Raj in any field, were ethically flawed (given that your contention of ethics as the bench mark)

In fact, all were selling their souls for money!

Even the Indian political leaders were using the Raj's infrastructure, like trains, posts etc. They should have used the bullock carts and village tracks and used the chappaties to convey their message as it was done in 1857, even though there was the British India Post available from 1833. They should have not used any of teh Raj's infrastructure, if they were real patriots, given you all's high morals and ethics as to what is to have been a real and honourable Indian.

Last edited by a moderator:

pmaitra

Mercenary in NOT necessarily the sole individual who is a combatant who fights for money.

Mercenary also means

mercenary

ˈməːsɪn(ə)ri/Submit
adjective
primarily concerned with making money at the expense of ethics.

Given the ethical angle being raised by you all, then all in the service of the British Raj in any field, were ethically flawed (given that your contention of ethics as the bench mark)

In fact, all were selling their souls for money!

Even the Indian political leaders were using the Raj's infrastructure, like trains, posts etc. They should have used the bullock carts and village tracks and used the chappaties to convey their message as it was done in 1857, even though there was the British India Post available from 1833. They should have not used any of teh Raj's infrastructure, if they were real patriots, given you all's high morals and ethics as to what is to have been a real and honourable Indian.
You are right, with that definition.

Geneva Convention defines a mercenary in the lines of participating in a conflict.

Art 47. Mercenaries
1. A mercenary shall not have the right to be a combatant or a prisoner of war.
2. A mercenary is any person who:
(a) is especially recruited locally or abroad in order to fight in an armed conflict;
(b) does, in fact, take a direct part in the hostilities;
(c) is motivated to take part in the hostilities essentially by the desire for private gain and, in fact, is promised, by or on behalf of a Party to the conflict, material compensation substantially in excess of that promised or paid to combatants of similar ranks and functions in the armed forces of that Party;
(d) is neither a national of a Party to the conflict nor a resident of territory controlled by a Party to the conflict;
(e) is not a member of the armed forces of a Party to the conflict; and
(f) has not been sent by a State which is not a Party to the conflict on official duty as a member of its armed forces.
Anyway, you are right. Anyone who served the Empire can be called a mercenary.

TrueSpirit1

The Nobody
Banned
Yes, they were patriots, they were fighting to expel British from India. Those Sepoys too were people of our country. I respect Mughals who ruled our country in fact by 1857 Mughals were our legitimate rulers. Is not intention to be ruled by native kings instead of foreigners sign of patriotism?

I dont give a damn to any one who worked for empire, specially Indian soldiers, police who beat Indian public to death.

Those soldiers involvement in war helped a Government to stay in running position which was headed by imperialists. So indirect fault. Read my post again.

:facepalm: Why dont you study history instead of ranting? If British took care of people why so many famines occured? Dont forget former Rajas and Newabs had no rail way system or teligraph etc to help people. Can you give ration to starving people by slow moving carts effectively? But british had Railways, still they let Indians die.

famines were quite common in medieval age because of lack scientific technology, treatment and transport system, in medieval age even Europe was not free from famines. But in modern era when every thing we had?

Dont think Congress was holier than thou. Congress was dominated always by English man in Indian skin. Congress in fact weakened Indian people's fighting spirit. If we had a Communist revolution(sadly Indian communists too are English in Indian skin) it would be better. Gandhiji actually did not know what he really want.

I better respect at first and demand British to respect extreme sign of sacrifice that Indian people did, who were starved to death by British to keep British super power, are only soldiers brave? Those Indians who worked hard on low salary, died of starvation, were not they brave? I respect them first.

Soldier always responsible to namak.

BIA was not valorous at all, their loyalty was to $$$ not to British. That's why 45,000 BIA(plus 40,000 British) in Singapore surrendered to 35,000 Japanese. In WW2 BIA only put stiff resistance when Rommel's North Afrika Corps got low on supply, in SE Asia BIA did not have stance against Japanese attack, only when Japanese diverted their war machine to Americans then being supported regularly from India, BIA attacked Japanese in Burma who were low on man power, little to Zero air cover and low on supply.

In WW1 they fought mainly against Turks, who were never industrially developed country, plus Arab Guerrillas were very active behind Turkish lines.

Not much valor.

BIA soldiers were never Wannabe British, most joined BIA because India was poor and had no chance of employment, they joined for $$$. If you read the book From Redcoats to Olive Green you will understand how BIA was happy when India got freedom in 1947 some even said for first time finally we are serving our country, not only working for money.

I know Indian army's Colonial heritage.

Indian army in fact never became People's Liberation Army like China.

You respect valor very well, ask British also to recognize sacrifice of Millions of Indians who died to keep British super power.

PS. Maoists too are brave, as they are fighting against much organized state force, please respect them also. :tsk:
While I do not understand your servitude for Mughals, your knowledge on subject is commendable.

apple

Post #12 is still there.

I have not understood.
C'mon Ray, you know what he means.

If you've used this forum anytime since a certain moderator, whose name shan't be mentioned, was given the privilege to delete messages, you would have noticed the vast number of posts said moderator had deleted.

Stage two, of the Battle of the Somme started 98 years ago. Indian 2 CAV took part it that. Do modern Indian army unit still have any ceremonies for pre Independence battles?

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
C'mon Ray, you know what he means.

If you've used this forum anytime since a certain moderator, whose name shan't be mentioned, was given the privilege to delete messages, you would have noticed the vast number of posts said moderator had deleted.

Stage two, of the Battle of the Somme started 98 years ago. Indian 2 CAV took part it that. Do modern Indian army unit still have any ceremonies for pre Independence battles?
One cannot blame anyone for doing his assigned task diligently when maybe a Moderator like me, did not.

It is the same situation that the US finds itself. Damned you do and damned you don't.

I assure you that if a Mod's action is reported, then it is the collegium that decides.

Without given away privileged information, may I assure you that Mods are held accountable.

If you were more discerning, you would have seen that many decisions have been overturned.

As far as the Mod under discussion, he even deleted a post of mine!

Therefore, his fairness in application cannot be doubted.

Yes, there are many units which celebrate their Battle Honour Days or VC days that were awarded during the pre Independence Days.

The Government of India has declared repugnant some battle honours earned by Indian Army units, which are descended from erstwhile units of the British East India Company. Indian Army units do not inscribe these battle honours on their colours and do not celebrate commemoration days associated with these battles. This decision was taken post-independence regarding those battle honours concerned with the subjugation of India and in some cases, neighbouring countries

Last edited:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
While I do not understand your servitude for Mughals, your knowledge on subject is commendable.
The arguments placed are like - is the glass half empty or half full!

Much of the diatribe is based on incapacity to comprehend warfare and the contemporary situation that impinged on the people to serve one or the other.

Thus, It is so lame an excuse to justify as this example would show:

In WW1 they fought mainly against Turks, who were never industrially developed country, plus Arab Guerrillas were very active behind Turkish lines.

Not much valor.
Only those who have seen combat would understand what is valour and how difficult it is to attain!

British could never contain the Pathans. Were the Pathan industrialise a Nation?

Last edited:

TrueSpirit1

The Nobody
Banned
British could never contain the Pathans. Were the Pathan industrialise a Nation?
I completely agree with your explanation. Past situations cannot be objectively deciphered via modern glasses (benefit of hindsight).

Btw, what does this sentence imply: Were the Pathan industrialise a Nation?

Known_Unknown

Devil's Advocate
As were millions of Indians working for the Raj Govt services and manufacturing, working as khalasi.on British merchant ships, stokers in the railways etc.

Indians thus were all mercenaries since they were selling their souls for thirty pieces of silver?

I would rather see the achievements they achieved inspite of being forced to sell their souls for thirty pieces of silver since they had no other options, their freedom having been sold to the British by their ancestors, who squabbled amongst themselves fighting for their own Kingdom and nothing beyond.

The similar way, the right wing will write history, in which India slavishly soldiered on under the Congress govts, which falsely claimed to be the sole custodians and engineers of India freedom and which led them into greater pecuniary day by day.

While the Left wing historians will claim that India sold it secular souls to the Hinduvta communalist for their pieces of silver.

Perceptions!
If armed forces personnel, police and the various institutions of a free nation who put their lives on the line to defend their country deserve to be recognized for their sacrifices and given a higher level of respect than ordinary civilians, then in exactly the same way, these personnel, when working for an occupying force, should be criticized and condemned to a far greater degree than commoners.

While in the service of a free country, they contribute to national security, but in the service of an occupying force, they are responsible for crushing the dreams of freedom. I'm sure you are aware that when an occupying force leaves, the first to face the anger of the populace are the collaborators-generals, politicians, soldiers etc. After the Nazis retreated from much of Europe, the occupied countries did not continue to "celebrate" the victories of the local armies that were raised & backed by Germany, instead, in many cases the leaders of those armies were thrown into prison for decades.

On the other hand, in India, we are so mentally brainwashed by the British that we will do anything to make ourselves feel important, including praising the very collaborators who were responsible for maintaining the British death grip over India.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
If armed forces personnel, police and the various institutions of a free nation who put their lives on the line to defend their country deserve to be recognized for their sacrifices and given a higher level of respect than ordinary civilians, then in exactly the same way, these personnel, when working for an occupying force, should be criticized and condemned to a far greater degree than commoners.

While in the service of a free country, they contribute to national security, but in the service of an occupying force, they are responsible for crushing the dreams of freedom. I'm sure you are aware that when an occupying force leaves, the first to face the anger of the populace are the collaborators-generals, politicians, soldiers etc. After the Nazis retreated from much of Europe, the occupied countries did not continue to "celebrate" the victories of the local armies that were raised & backed by Germany, instead, in many cases the leaders of those armies were thrown into prison for decades.

On the other hand, in India, we are so mentally brainwashed by the British that we will do anything to make ourselves feel important, including praising the very collaborators who were responsible for maintaining the British death grip over India.
By that logic, the Rajput Kings who gave their daughters to the Mughals in marriage, the Rajputs and Jats who fought for the Mughals, etc would also be of the same category?

I presume that Birbal aka Mahesh Das or more accurately Rajah Birbar, the Hindu advisor in the court of the Mughal emperor Akbar was also a mercenary and a let down, right?

if so, the logic is flawed; as one must look at the environment at that time and the compulsions that forced/ encouraged them to do so.

If armed forces personnel, police and the various institutions of a free nation who put their lives on the line to defend their country deserve to be recognized for their sacrifices and given a higher level of respect than ordinary civilians,
Again flawed.

The armed forces and those who put their lives on line are given higher recognition because they do things that other citizens don't i.e. put their lives on line!

The heroes of the Independence Movement, who put their lives on line, are also revered, while many others who were involved in the Movement and played a contributory part in a peaceful manner, are forgotten.

Valour on the battlefield is recognised even for the enemy in case you did not know.

then in exactly the same way, these personnel, when working for an occupying force, should be criticized and condemned to a far greater degree than commoners.
The difference in perception as to what is valour and what is armchair jingoism.

Capt Kernal Sher Khan's valour at Kargil was recognised by the Indian Army which recommend the Pakistan Government to award him with the highest gallantry award.
http://ibnlive.in.com/news/pak-war-hero-honoured-at-indias-say/97858-3.html
Unusually, Colonel Mohammed Akram Raja was awarded Hilal-i-Jurat by the Pakistan Government on the basis of a citation written by Lieutenant Colonel, Ved Airy, who was Commanding Officer, 3 Grenadiers, Indian Army
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Basantar
I have seen the copy of this letter in the 54 Inf Div Museum.

The book also tells the story of a soldier, who got his country's second highest military honour on the basis of the citation written by an officer of the enemy. Cordozo says, "It was the first time in the history of wars, when Colonel Mohammed Akram Raja was awarded Hilal-e-Jurat by the Pakistan Government on the basis of a citation written by Lieutenant Colonel, Ved Airy, who was Commanding Officer, 3Grenediars then, for the exceptional bravery Akram showed in the battle of Basantar in Jammu sector during the 1971 war."
http://www.hindu.com/thehindu/mp/2003/05/19/stories/2003051900530200.htm
One concedes that those who have never seen a bullet fired against them in anger, would not understand valour and instead would template valour for cause of not their liking as an antithesis of nationalism.

Thus, Valour and nationalism sometimes are appear contradictory in appreciation.

After the Nazis retreated from much of Europe, the occupied countries did not continue to "celebrate" the victories of the local armies that were raised & backed by Germany, instead, in many cases the leaders of those armies were thrown into prison for decades.
Erich von Manstein, Erwin Rommel, Heinz Guderian, Erhard Raus, Gotthard Heinrici, Model , Hermann Hoth, Gunther von Kluge, Ewald von Kleist, Walther von Reichenau etc were surely NOT Allied Generals. or were they? How come they are recognised and praised by the very Allies against whom they fought?

Mao Tse Tung, Che Guevara, were hated by the West, but their theories and application are bywords in military irregular operations. Those who hated them, also recognised their talent and ingenuity!

Last edited:

Simple_Guy

Tamil nationalist poet Subramania Bharati and WWI

In the early stages of the War, Bharati was at pains to explain that the nationalists' position was not inimical to Britain's war efforts. Writing to Annie Besant's daily New India (October 3, 1914) under the rubric 'Home and War', he referred to the 'excellent principle' of not embarrassing the government during war time and claimed that he was the earliest to enunciate this principle. He likened the Empire to a big joint family.
Drawing attention to the 'grand and thrilling' sacrifices that India had done in the cause of the War, not to mention 'the further sacrifices' that she was ready to make, he described India as 'the eldest and most dutiful, but not the favourite, daughter-in-law'. The pressures of war notwithstanding, Bharati called for certain urgent reforms: free, universal, primary education under Indian control; encouragement to industries; and closer to his own interest perhaps, police reforms.

In times of war it was the duty to stand by the British despite differences and the idea of being tied to the 'mediaeval yoke of Germany' was intolerable. Bharati ended his epistle with the pious hope that a peace, 'honourable to Britain and her allies, Eastern as well as Western', would soon return. Little would he know that the War would take four long years with little to show for the immense sacrifices made by India.

ITBP

Pathan war was a Geurrilla insurgency. People's war type. And in people's war type combat, having close connection local population does help more than having better arms.

But in open combat like WW1, having better army, superior industrial capability matter more.

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
In Flanders Fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.
John McCrae, MD (1872-1918)

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
Bent double, like old beggars under sacks,
Knock-kneed, coughing like hags, we cursed through sludge,
Till on the haunting flares we turned our backs
And towards our distant rest began to trudge.
Men marched asleep. Many had lost their boots
But limped on, blood-shod. All went lame; all blind;
Drunk with fatigue; deaf even to the hoots
Of tired, outstripped Five-Nines that dropped behind.

Gas! GAS! Quick, boys! -- An ecstasy of fumbling,
Fitting the clumsy helmets just in time;
But someone still was yelling out and stumbling
And flound'ring like a man in fire or lime . . .
Dim, through the misty panes and thick green light,
As under I green sea, I saw him drowning.

In all my dreams, before my helpless sight,
He plunges at me, guttering, choking, drowning.

If in some smothering dreams you too could pace
Behind the wagon that we flung him in,
And watch the white eyes writhing in his face,
His hanging face, like a devil's sick of sin;
If you could hear, at every jolt, the blood
Come gargling from the froth-corrupted lungs,
Obscene as cancer, bitter as the cud
Of vile, incurable sores on innocent tongues, --
My friend, you would not tell with such high zest
To children ardent for some desperate glory,
The old lie: Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori.
Wilfred Owen (1893-1918)

Simple_Guy

uncovering names and lives of the Indian soldiers who fought in WWI

But it's not all history and nostalgia. The project, as his soft-spoken father Chhina tells us, also seeks to record the sociological, cultural and attitudinal impact of the war upon the soldiers and ultimately, India itself. Accounts of soldiers, gleaned via letters and diary entries, show how their exposure to the world effected a mindset change. "A letter talks about the poise of the French, their appreciation for manual labour, and the dignity of labour they allow their workers," Chhina shares. There is more. "They brought back ideas of emancipation, of equal treatment of women, of the importance of hygiene."

Ultimately these very impressions — ironically, the product of an imperial project — became fodder for the freedom struggle. "These soldiers saw how not all whites treated Indians the way certain racial British rulers did. They realised something was wrong," Chhina says. In fact, he adds an oft-forgotten quirk of history — that until that point, India was not demanding complete independence, but was asking for home rule within the overarching umbrella of the British Empire, similar to that enjoyed by the White Dominions. "But when they realised after the war that Britain was not going to come good on that, the curve of history shifted. The comprehensions they had added to the demand for complete autonomy and freedom."

sydsnyper

Country flag
Soldiers are soldiers. The men did what they had to do under the circumstances that they were ruled by the british. In many theaters of war they have shown exemplary courage and we have forgotten them.

I know a very personal case, that of my wife's grandfather who served with the british indian army. He was once ordered to fire upon one of his own comrade (for deserting) and he never forgot that incident. He would cry and repent most of his life for taking that decision and in the end went senile. My father in law and my wife remember him as an honorable, caring and hardworking man who did what he had to do for his family.

Unless you have been in their shoes, be careful of what you say.

Who gives a shit? These were mercenaries who fought for a foreign country in a war which helped consolidate British control over India. We are supposed to shed tears for them? A bunch of these same so-called "soldiers" massacred thousands of their own countrymen in cold blood on the orders of their white master at Jallianwala Bagh. We should be ashamed, not proud of their deeds.

Sridhar

House keeper
Country flag
A European war, fought by India
Shashank Joshi

If World War I resonates in such a weak, confused, and even negative way with Europeans, it is little wonder that young Africans or Indians see even smaller stakes in this year's centenary ceremonies. This is why it is crucial to understand the war's global scope and the role played by the British Empire and Commonwealth

Did you know that India fought against Britain in the First World War? That, at least, is the belief of over a quarter of Indians, according to a British Council survey earlier this year. It is no consolation that the situation is little better in Europe. Two years ago, another survey showed that over half of Britons didn't know whether India had contributed over 1,000 troops. This might be a forgivable gap in knowledge, if the real figure were not well over a million.

As Commonwealth heads of state in Glasgow commemorated the First World War centenary on Monday, many in the nations of the Commonwealth — India above all — will therefore wonder why they should care about, much less commemorate, a war fought largely in Europe, led by European politicians, commanded by European officers, and resolved to the benefit of engorged European empires.
War's legacy

This uninterest is understandable. Even at home, in the war's European locales, we are separated from its horrors not just by the chasm of multiple generations — the war's last veteran, Florence Green, died in February 2012 at the age of 110 — but also a growing cultural gap. In a nation of immigrants, increasing numbers of children have grown up without the childhood visits to memorial-strewn French villages or classroom recitation of the war poets that were once ubiquitous. No surprise, then, that a survey in 2012 found that fewer than half of Britons aged 16 to 24 could identify the year that the war broke out.

The war's legacy has also grown more complicated, as evidenced in the United Kingdom by last year's political skirmishing among politicians and historians. The (now former) British Education Minister, Michael Gove, attacked the left-wing narrative of a cruel and futile war prosecuted by feckless generals. He argued, instead, "those who fought were not dupes but conscious believers in king and country, committed to defending the western liberal order." Boris Johnson, the Mayor of London, agreed, insisting, "German militarism was at the root of the First World War."

In turn, a slew of prominent historians, led by the Regius Professor of History at the University of Cambridge, Richard Evans, retorted that Britain and her allies had fought for dubious aims, against adversaries who were far from evil incarnate. As the writer Kenan Malik put it in a recent essay, "Germany had expansionist aims and a toxically racist culture. Britain, however, was not much different." Perhaps, these sceptics implied, triumphalism ought to be avoided in the centenary commemorations.

If the war resonates in such a weak, confused, and even negative way with Europeans, it is little wonder that young Africans or Indians see even smaller stakes in this year's ceremonies. This is why it is crucial to understand the global scope of the war, and the role — often an involuntary one — played by the Empire and Commonwealth. The war's origins may lie in the Balkans, and it may be the European battlefields that stick in popular memory — the Somme, Ypres, and so on — but the non-European world was profoundly affected, and in turn transformed by the war.
Sourcing manpower

Remember that British forces in the Gold Coast (modern day Ghana) mobilised four days before the British declaration of war, that the first Allied shots were fired in the British and French invasion of German Togoland, and that the first Allied victory came here, not in Europe. Paris and London would later carve up that territory, like so many other spoils of war.

In addition to being a battleground, the British Empire also served as a reservoir of manpower on an astonishing scale; 1,40,000 men served in the Chinese Labour Corps, a force of which most Europeans will never have heard. The West Indies contributed 16,000 men. As John Reader explains in his magisterial history, Africa: A Biography of the Continent, by the war's end, around two million Africans had participated in the war effort, half of them troops. Around 2,00,000 died. The French colonies alone sent just under half-a-million Africans to fight in Europe, over a tenth of these coming from Algeria. Kenya, Ghana and, above all, Nigeria which provided the lion's share for Britain.

It is also crucial not to mince words on the nature of this participation. At first, much recruitment was, notionally, voluntary. But, as in India, local political elites were incentivised to supply manpower, and they used all means at their disposal to push villagers into service. As the historian Ranajit Guha explained to journalist Seema Sirohi, "a widespread proxy system developed in the Punjab, whereby a prosperous villager would buy a poor neighbour's son and donate him to the recruitment centre as his own contribution." Eventually, the French, the British, the Germans and the Belgians all used the force of law and arms to compel Africans to join their armies.

How were these troops used? Overall, 6,50,000 colonial troops were deployed to Europe. The French, in particular, sent Africans to Europe in large numbers. Senegalese battalions served with distinction at Ypres, for instance, and tens of thousands of African troops even stayed behind for the post-war occupation of the Rhineland (in Mein Kampf, Hitler complained that Jews were responsible for bringing Blacks into the Rhineland). The academic Christian Koller notes that one French general believed West Africans made good soldiers because of their "underdeveloped nervous system and their hereditary fatalism," permitting them to sleep in trenches if necessary.

London took a different line (despite the urgings of the War Office and others, like Winston Churchill). Much as Britain refused to train African-American soldiers who had entered the war, and rejected Indian participation in the Crimean and Boer Wars, it similarly recoiled from the idea of pitting Africans against white soldiers, and — with the exception of some deployments to the Middle East — preferred to use them mostly within Africa against other Africans.
Indian contribution

The Empire's biggest contribution was by India. This included 3.7 million tonnes of supplies, over 10,000 nurses, 1,70,000 animals, £146m of Indian revenue, and political support — including that of Gandhi, who helped recruit Indian volunteers in the face of nationalist opposition. But most important of all was the Indian Army, the largest volunteer force in the world, which provided 1.1 million troops to serve overseas, principally in the form of six expeditionary forces labelled 'A' to 'F'. Over 74,000 were killed — five times more than the combined death toll from every war that India has fought since independence — and 80,000 were held prisoner. As the Conservative politician Baroness Sayeeda Warsi put it last year, "our boys weren't just Tommies — they were Tariqs and Tajinders too."

It would take volumes to list their achievements in full. These forces not only protected the northwest of India, but also buttressed British garrisons in Egypt, Singapore and China, as well as contributing to seminal battles of the Western Front, such as the Somme and Neuve Chapelle. At Ypres, in particular, Indian casualties were exceptionally high, compounded by the shock of German chlorine gas in April 1915.

But Indian forces had their greatest impact in West Asia, with 60 per cent of all Indian troops serving in Mesopotamia (modern day Iraq), and another 10 per cent in Egypt and Palestine. As recorded in a new book by Kristian Coates Ulrichsen, The First World War in the Middle East, British and Indian troops in Mesopotamia suffered over 2,00,000 casualties from sickness alone in just one year, 1916. On Jerusalem's capture the next year, it was Indian Muslim troops who were tasked with protecting the Dome of the Rock.

When the Viceroy laid the foundation stone for India Gate in 1921, he declared, "the stirring tales of individual heroism will live for ever in the annals of this country." Six years later, French Marshal Ferdinand Foch told Indians gathered at Neuve Chapelle, "proclaim how your countrymen drenched with their blood the cold northern land of France and Flanders." These words have faded. No surprise, in an age when the newly appointed head of the Indian Council of Historical Research is a man more interested in questions like, "Why are the fish and the pebbles in Ganga not attaining Moksha?" than supporting real history. For the Indians who fought for the Empire, earning a staggering 13,000 gallantry medals in the process, this legacy of ignorance is a scandal.

(Shashank Joshi is a Senior Research Fellow of the Royal United Services Institute in London, and a PhD candidate at Harvard University.)

A European war, fought by India - The Hindu

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles