Fly away: Producing planes in Pakistan

farhan_9909

Tihar Jail
Banned
KARACHI: Money is time, time is money.
Or so goes the saying, one that thirty-eight-year old Faisal Naveed Asif firmly believes in.

"There will always, always be people who need to travel fast," says the CEO of Scaled Aviation Industries, the only lightweight aircraft maker in the country's private sector, as he recalls the example of a Lahore-based surgeon who wanted to visit patients in rural Punjab and be back home by the evening. "We have identified a market which is just going to [keep growing]."
Forging sky tracks

In a country that has seen its fair share of airlines starting with pomp and fanfare but going down quickly, Asif seems to be made of a different mettle. For him, the business is all about understanding, patience and commercial viability.

"In key cities, like Karachi and Lahore, the traffic chaos is becoming unmanageable," he says. "And we realise that. Our planes cost between $120,000 and $170,000. If you compare it [a plane] with some of the luxury cars people are buying, it is actually cheaper."

Made from composite material, a small two-seater aircraft weighs around 230 kilogrammes. It is designed to land on any flat surface and does not require a proper runway.

According to Asif, the fuel efficiency of his company's Bombardier Rotax engine-driven plane, built to run on petrol, is more than the Cessna. After the company started marketing its planes in 2009, it has been making sales regularly.
Scaled ambitions and pointed limitations
"We are making 23% of the airframes locally," he says. "This includes landing gears, internal seating, flaps and other components."
Soon, as part of the deletion programme – which means slowly developing the capability to manufacture more parts locally – Asif intends to make the entire aircraft frame in Pakistan.
However, he cautions against anticipating miracles.

"To expect that we will start making engines here is out of the question. A thing as complicated as an aircraft engine needs 30 to 40 associated industries and years and years of work. We don't even have a metallurgical base for that at the moment," he remarks.

Asif also elaborates upon the difficulties associated with setting up a business in Pakistan and basing designing in house.
"Even for the designing phase, you need an investment of Rs22 million. This is just for setting up a design organisation," he says. "[Then], if a wing weighs 50kgs, I have to get 150kgs of paperwork done to design it here."

Scaled Aviation manufactures and markets the aircraft under licence with Kolb, which has been acquired by ATR Aircraft.
"Under the agreement with Kolb we have access to every kind of data on design, engineering and tests. We have all the information on the aircraft," Asif explains.
In total, he estimates, designing and then testing an airframe costs around $8.5 million. "I didn't have that kind of resources so I opted for this joint venture," he says.
Making of the man

Asif has not fallen into this career – it's no fluke, but a passion he has carefully nurtured over the years. His journey began from Quetta, where he spent most of his life. "As a kid, I was part of a flying school," he says. "From there on, the love for planes remained with me."
Armed with a PhD in engineering, Asif worked with defence industry for 11 years before venturing into the business of making aircraft. "Over the years, I had developed expertise in the field," he explains. "It was natural for me to do this."
Published in The Express Tribune, July 18th, 2013.

Fly away: Producing planes in Pakistan – The Express Tribune

farhan_9909

Tihar Jail
Banned
Right now they manufacture upto 23% of airframe at the factory

while target is to manufacture 100% of the airframe one day

thats the spirit

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
Armed with a PhD in engineering, Asif worked with defence industry for 11 years before venturing into the business of making aircraft. "Over the years, I had developed expertise in the field," he explains. "It was natural for me to do this."
And this is his work, or just a graphic for the article:

farhan_9909

Tihar Jail
Banned
And this is his work, or just a graphic for the article:

graphic content for the article

he probably work for the scaled aviation industry which has a license production of a trainer aircraft from a russian company

they make 23% of the airframe at home and the rest of the aircraft is imported in kits to be assembled.
later the aircraft is sold within pakistan by them

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag
@W.G.Ewald

Isn't this the same plane which had another thread and got moved to the "Paki lies and denial thread"?

Last edited by a moderator:

W.G.Ewald

Professional
@W.G.Ewald

Isn't this the same plane which had another thread and got moved to the "Paki lies and denial thread"?
I don't know. But an aircraft of that size and price could be marketed in North America, I believe.

Last edited by a moderator:

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag

W.G.Ewald

Professional
Check the pictures on the FB page of this company...

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.425402744144460.100869.268503016501101&type=1

And compare it to these...

http://defenceforumindia.com/forum/pakistan/48130-pakistani-lies-denial-thread-4.html#post752279

Its the same company.

@Mods... please move this thread to the Paki lies and Denials thread.
The Storm Rally is sold as a kit and perhaps Scaled Aviation Industries intends to buy the kits, assemble and sell them. Or it has a license to build them in Pakistan. In any case the article and claims by Scaled Aviation Industries are deceptive, I agree.

There is this:

Scaled Aviation Industries (Private) Limited, Pakistan has initiated a joint venture with an established American company to initially start the manufacturing of Light-sport aircraft (S-LSA) in Pakistan.
facts about Scaled Aviation Industries Limited - Evi

agentperry

this plane is developed tested and primarily promoted by a russian company kolb aviation( source is the article itself). and in pakistan it is developed by the local company mentioned in the article.
the company is assembling it like the indus motor is assembling the toyotas but here the 23% airframe is local.

https://www.google.co.in/search?q=s....com%2Fshowthread.php%3Fp%3D104742794;960;574

above is the picture of the aircraft marketed by the firm.

best of luck to that firm.

it is two seater plane and indian contemporary is NAL hansa and mahindra 5 seater cnm-5

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles