First visit to India

Ash

Country flag
I am visiting India for a week at the end of next week. It is my visit to India and am visiting Jaipur only . I have always wondered how visiting the land of my forebearers would feel. I wonder if being there would fill me with a feeling of belonging ot evoke some other feelings in me. I guess I will have to wait and see.

I wonder if any memebers can suggest any intereting places in Jaipur that is off the tourist beaten tract that I should see or visit, historical or religious.

Regards

Ash

Srinivas_K

Country flag
I am visiting India for a week at the end of next week. It is my visit to India and am visiting Jaipur only . I have always wondered how visiting the land of my forebearers would feel. I wonder if being there would fill me with a feeling of belonging ot evoke some other feelings in me. I guess I will have to wait and see.

I wonder if any memebers can suggest any intereting places in Jaipur that is off the tourist beaten tract that I should see or visit, historical or religious.

Regards

Ash
welcome to India !

Ash

Country flag
Thanks man. My visit is well overdue

shankyz

Country flag
Visit Bapu Bazaar , it's 1-2 km from City Palace / Hawa Mahal. Good for shopping local stuff at cheap (non-exorbitant) rates.

Visit GT ( Gaurav Tower ) - popular hangout spot for youngsters in the evening.

Visit Chowki Dhani.

Sent from Moto G using Tapatalk

VaghaDeva

sum gai

Regards

Ash

Ahhhhhhh.......But was the food good? It was to my understanding that Rajasthan has very nice meat dishes.

sasum

Atheist but not Communists.
Ahhhhhhh.......But was the food good? It was to my understanding that Rajasthan has very nice meat dishes.
Nothing can beat Hyderabadi biryani though.
How about camel meat of Jaisalmer?

Sakal Gharelu Ustad

Detests Jholawalas
Ambassador
Visit the different forts in the city. Amer is the famous one. Check out Jaigarh if you like old weapons. Also Nahargarh for taking look at the city.

You can also visit temples. Also the old shops in the old city centre are well known for food. You can try those.

Screambowl

Ghanta Senior Member?
Country flag
before coming, take some homeopathy medicine like carbo veg, otherwise lose motions will spoil your visit.

SADAKHUSH

Country flag
before coming, take some homeopathy medicine like carbo veg, otherwise lose motions will spoil your visit.
I think one should stay way from tap and bottled water and drink boiled water only. This is how I deal with the stomach issues. Soft drinks and bottled juices are other options. lot depends on how strong is the body immune defenses.

Your suggestion for Carbo veg is also the option to prevent the stomach issues.

Enjoy your stay and give us the feedback and post pictures if you can.

Ash

Country flag
Thanks for all the travel tips guys, I will post some pics when i get back. I have been warned about drinking water from the taps and ice cubes as well, however is it also advisable to stay away from all bottled water or is it some brands that may be a problem?

Nuvneet Kundu

Thanks for all the travel tips guys, I will post some pics when i get back. I have been warned about drinking water from the taps and ice cubes as well, however is it also advisable to stay away from all bottled water or is it some brands that may be a problem?
This is a relative thing. There are people who live there who have developed immunity to the impurities and microbes in the water, they don't fall sick when they drink tap water. There are frequent travelers who drink from taps, bottles, or other sources and develop immunity to it. So the answer to which brand of water is safe is relative. A frequent traveler friend of mind told me that the first thing he does whenever he lands at a new place is to drink a small cup of local tap water before doing anything else. It helps your body acclimatize to the bacteria there.

All branded water bottles are generally safe, there are even government sponsored water distribution programs which are safe too. You have to but a water ATM card at a nominal price and you can draw water from these water ATMs. You get 20 liters water for 10 cents. This water is purified by reverse osmosis for drinking purposes.

Carry Imodium (dysentery), paracetamol (joint ache, fever), and potassium permanganate or handwash. Follow basic hygiene. Dirty water is not as big a deal as people make out to be. It depends on what kind of water you drink back home. If you are used to double boiling your water, then putting it through an RO water purifier in your home, then all other types of water will lead to upset stomach because your body has lost the ability to tolerate even a little impurity. If you are used to drinking tap water in your own home, then Indian municipality tap water will suit you just fine. It's the street food and/or dirty hands that causes the stomach problems, but the water gets the blame.

Last edited:

sasum

Avoid all popular brands of bottled water at tourist spots, Railways and budget hotels. They sell fake stuff. Keep chlorine tablets handy if boiling water is not feasible all the time. The trick lies in under-eating...this will keep belly-bugs in check.
Happy travelling :biggrin2:

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
AFAIK bottled branded water is safe, but some people may be selling fake/imitations. So watch out where you buy your water from.

Also you can check out following if you haven't already.

http://wikitravel.org/en/Jaipur

There are many dedicated travel forums around which will be more informative than a defence forum.
EG: http://www.indiamike.com/india/jaipur-f62/jaipur-in-2days-t205022/
http://www.travellerspoint.com/guide/Jaipur/

Note: Can not vouch for accuracy of data in any of the links above.

Last edited:

Ash

Country flag
thanks guys. Regarding water in South africa, I live in Johannesburg so the tap water is fine to drink, although we still use filters on our taps to filter the water further before drinking.

sasum

thanks guys. Regarding water in South africa, I live in Johannesburg so the tap water is fine to drink, although we still use filters on our taps to filter the water further before drinking.
Tap water supplied any where in India except Gangtok (Sikkim) is unsafe to drink.
There is a saying in New Delhi, that unorganized water-filter marketers' umbrella body sends monthly "tax" to municipal corporations officers to supply microbe filled water.

Last edited:

amoy

I saw some travellers (not to India though) bring water boilers along as not every hotel provides that or hot drink water. Also diarrhea medicine is better ready just in case...

More and more travelling to India after eVisa is available. Lots of firsthand info online.

~~Still waters run deep. ~~from my MiPad using tapatalk

Ash

Country flag
I saw some travellers (not to India though) bring water boilers along as not every hotel provides that or hot drink water. Also diarrhea medicine is better ready just in case...

More and more travelling to India after eVisa is available. Lots of firsthand info online.

~~Still waters run deep. ~~from my MiPad using tapatalk
I used the E-visa method inorder to get the visa. What a pleasure and a painless process. Filled in the online form and submitted the passport pic and the visa was granted the next day and at absolutely no cost.

HariPrasad-1

Country flag

Regards

Ash
You are well come. Jaipur is a very beautiful city. Do not forget to see palaces and extraordinary hotels there in Jaipur.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles