Fire crews contain blaze on nuclear submarine in northern Russia

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Nerpa has already been a source of sorrow with 41 casualties.

I remember now. I must say IN people are not a superstitious bunch, maybe another left-over from the Soviet days. But by and large seamen are superstitious...

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
US boot-licker, one day will come when you will be under our feet, The Indians, The Russians, The Chinese and the The Brazilians.

Relax dude. You're sounding like an assh*le with your pointless rants.

Trust me we're not going to be under your feet. Especially not with the kind of attitude that you're exhibiting!

Last edited:

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Yes.

No offense, but this is the reason why I got the impression that you are clueless.

Pardon my French but don't be pompous. I know the cause of the Kursk explosion. It has been exhaustively discussed on many articles and on documentaries. What's surprising to me is the seemingly lack of prudence on the part of Russians despite their shameful Kursk experience, especially if they're still using High Test Peroxide in their torpedoes...

Last edited:

pmaitra

Pardon my French but don't be pompous. I know the cause of the Kursk explosion. It has been exhaustively discussed on many articles and on documentaries. What's surprising to me is the seemingly lack of prudence on the part of Russians despite their shameful Kursk experience, especially if they're still using Hydrogen Peroxide in their torpedoes...
I am not being pompous. Your post sounded like you were surprised. You say you know the cause of the Kursk explosion, yet you asked "The Kursk sunk because of torpedoes?" That is why I still think you were clueless when you asked that question. Besides that, your French is absolutely fine!

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
I am not being pompous. Your post sounded like you were surprised. You say you know the cause of the Kursk explosion, yet you asked "The Kursk sunk because of torpedoes?" That is why I still think you were clueless when you asked that question. Besides that, your French is absolutely fine!
It was supposed to be a rhetorical question, an expression of disbelief, not exactly a question.

pmaitra

Russia sunk submarine to save the World... :laugh:
Please read the article. The submarine was not sunk. Yet again, you are showing the world how clueless you are.

Russia said it had brought a blaze aboard a nuclear submarine under control on Friday by partially submerging the vessel at a naval shipyard, after hours of dousing the flames with water from helicopters and tug boats.

Source: Russia submerges nuclear submarine to douse blaze - Emirates 24/7

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Please read the article. The submarine was not sunk.
Lighten up my friend. Where's your sense of humor? :rofl:

But if you only have an open mind, submerged and sunk are synonymous. The former is a sanitised term (feel good) while the latter is the frank version (sensationalised in this case, for fun).

submergedpast participle, past tense of sub·merge (Verb)

Verb:
  1. Cause to be under water.
  2. Descend below the surface of an area of water

sunkpast participle, past tense of sink (Verb)

Verb:
  1. Go down below the surface of something, esp. of a liquid; become submerged: "the coffin sank below the waves".
  2. (of a ship) Go to the bottom of the sea or some other body of water because of damage or a collision.

In any case the decision to "submerge" or "sink" the submarine with an open hull was a desperate measure to contain the fire.

Last edited:

pmaitra

Lighten up my friend. Where's your sense of humor? :rofl:
I regret to state that, given your prejudice against Russia, and my affinity for it, I will probably not be able to appreciate your sense of humour. To my mind, that is trolling.

But if you only have an open mind, submerged and sunk are synonymous.

[Remaining non-sequiturs ignored]
You are right. 'Submerged' means 'sunk.' 'Partially submerged' does not mean 'sunk.'

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
'Partially submerged' does not mean 'sunk.'
You are hair splitting. But it was a courageous thing what the Russians did. I think they did not want Chernobyl to happen again in their soil...

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
Oh my... I think the Russian shipyards really need to start checking all classes of submarines the RN has. Because if this is the situation of their domestic fleet, they really don't need enemies. May the deceased sailors find eternal peace in hereafter and may their families be given the strength to bear their loved ones' loss.

pmaitra

Oh my... I think the Russian shipyards really need to start checking all classes of submarines the RN has. Because if this is the situation of their domestic fleet, they really don't need enemies. May the deceased sailors find eternal peace in hereafter and may their families be given the strength to bear their loved ones' loss.
There are no reports of death in this accident.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Restoration of burning submarine "Ekaterinburg" will be very difficult

Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin, yesterday held a meeting in Severomorsk on the technical condition of the missile cruiser strategic K-84 "Yekaterinburg", damaged by a fire in a floating dock 82nd Shipyard. After a personal inspection of the submarine, Mr. Rogozin said that even set up a "more optimistic than at the end of last year," and promised that the boat will be restored to the "appropriate time". However, as revealed yesterday, the damage amounted to more than 1.2 billion rubles. and the fire was put out of action sonar system. It will restore the "Sevmash" at Severodvinsk. No start date of repair, nor its duration is still unknown.

Before the meeting, Dmitry Rogozin, together with the Chief of the Navy Vladimir Vysotsky and Northern Fleet Commander Vice Admiral Vladimir Korolev being examined at the pier submarine "Ekaterinburg", which was, according to spokesman Deputy Prime Minister Lidia Mikhailova, "based on the Northern Fleet Gadzhievo ". Then Mr. Rogozin held at the headquarters of the Northern Fleet in Severomorsk meeting with the Commission and representatives of the Ministry of Defence shipbuilding industry. Interdepartmental commission investigating the causes of the accident, Mr. Rogozin presented a report on the technical condition of the submarine. Acquainted with him, the Vice Premier said that the find "solutions in which the boat will be repaired and returned to the fleet in due course", abandoning the more detailed comments. Meanwhile, as reported by news agencies, because of the fire was actually destroyed sonar system (SAC) and a special rubber coating of the outer hull boat, which makes its detection by the enemy in a submerged position.

Own sources of "b" in the shipbuilding industry confirmed the information. According to them, on a submarine sonar was installed CIM-520 "Scat-BDRM" produced by "Vodtranspribor." The complex - an extremely important piece of equipment the boat, it serves to provide navigation, target detection and tracking torpedoes underwater. "It was installed on a submarine during repairs and modernization of K-84 cruiser in 2003 - says the source" b "in the shipbuilding industry .- Get new equipment from the industry is quite real." However, he said, the installation of a new sonar can take much more time than initially promised the vice-premier Rogozin, who said December 30 last year about "a few months." "The complex is located in the first compartment and is directly under the torpedo tubes, and for his replacement will have to carry out complex work to dismantle the structures of the boat (strong and light) into its bow. And it would take a month and not even three," - concluded companion "b".

According to "Kommersant", the Interdepartmental Committee agreed that the total amount of fire damage to the cruiser was slightly more than 1.2 billion rubles. But one of the commissioners stressed that "this figure is still inconclusive - though everything possible to calculate when the submarine is on the stocks. " The Defense Ministry, USC and the "Sevmash" yesterday refused to comment.

Ъ-Газета - Гидроакустический комплекс неполноценности

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
OMG... there were nuclear missiles aboard during the fire!

When the December fire on board the nuclear submarine "Ekaterinburg" was a nuclear ammunition. This wrote on February 13, "Kommersant-Vlast."

According to journalists, the submarine docking removal of nuclear weapons on board the boat is not a prerequisite. Moreover, this process can take up to two weeks, so stay much delay at the docks, which in turn can disrupt the timetable for the withdrawal of nuclear missile on alert.

The presence of ammunition, according to journalists, "Power" indicates the fact that immediately after the fire suppression submarine "Ekaterinburg" was removed from the dock and sent first to the Bay roundabout and then into the bay Yagelnaya. Both databases are storehouses of intercontinental missiles and nuclear warheads, as well as equipment for loading and unloading. It is unlikely to severely damaged by fire the submarine had to hastily load ammunition, so it is likely they were unloaded on the contrary, the newspaper notes.

Finally, information about finding the ammunition on board the burning "Yekaterinburg" journalists "authorities" confirmed "multiple independent sources, in command of the Navy and the Northern Fleet." Thus, the publication concludes that in December 2011 in Russia could take the largest man-caused disaster since Chernobyl - if the fire got into the so-called "stable" of the boat where there were nuclear missiles, torpedoes and two nuclear reactors.

Fire on the submarine "Ekaterinburg" occurred the evening of 29 December, when the submarine was held on the scheduled repair shipyard in the Murmansk region. As a result of fire affected mostly male "easy" case - rubber coating and the sonar system of the boat. Putting out the fire took about 20 hours. Nine people were wounded. In fact fire a criminal case under article 347 of the Criminal Code (destruction or damage to military property through negligence).

Immediately after the fire authorities have stated that there is no risk of radioactive contamination, as the submarine reactor was plugged at the time of ignition, and the arms lifted. However, experts have introduced MOE increased radiation control in the Murmansk region.

Ъ-Власть - Паленая лодка

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
Interesting that Russians name a submarine for the city where Tsar Nicholas II and his family were murdered.

pmaitra

Interesting that Russians name a submarine for the city where Tsar Nicholas II and his family were murdered.

The city is named after Prussian-German Tsarina Catherine (Katharina die Große), who became Ekaterina or Yekaterina (Екатерина II Великая, Yekaterina II Velikaya) after Russification following her marriage to Tsar Peter III.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles