Fire crews contain blaze on nuclear submarine in northern Russia

pmaitra

This submarine was being repaired and the wooden scaffolding caught fire when some
electrical work was going on

Now this is just sheer negligence

Too much of vodka hangovers and all safety measures are thrown in the sea
No, it wasn't the scaffolding. The fire was coming out of the hole they cut out in the hull at the torpedo compartment. Most of the flames were coming out from within the torpedo compartment. Check the pictures in post #16.

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
This submarine was being repaired and the wooden scaffolding caught fire when some
electrical work was going on

Now this is just sheer negligence

Too much of vodka hangovers and all safety measures are thrown in the sea

The article said the fire originated from the torpedo room not from the scaffolding.

pmaitra

It is common sense. Getting a wooden scaffolding to catch fire in the winter of Northern Russia's Murmansk next to the Barents Sea will take a lot more than a burning cigarette butt carelessly thrown away!

pankaj nema

Country flag
There are different versions about the place of origin but the wooden scaffolding did catch fire

The wooden scaffolding was not painted with fire resistant materials

Russian media is calling this mistake as a bid to save some money

pmaitra

There are different versions about the place of origin but the wooden scaffolding did catch fire

The wooden scaffolding was not painted with fire resistant materials
Yes, but not what you stated that there was some electrical work going on and the wooden scaffolding caught fire. The fire started inside the torpedo compartment and the flames came out and then the scaffolding and some rubber tiles caught fire.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
It is common sense. Getting a wooden scaffolding to catch fire in the winter of Northern Russia's Murmansk next to the Barents Sea will take a lot more than a burning cigarette butt carelessly thrown away!
What would be the effect if the wooden scaffolding was made of fresh pinewood?

I am asking this since we have had cases of bunkers catching fire having roofing with fresh pine logs!

Of course, given the fact that the weather is cold and most possibly wet, a burning cigarette butt may not cause such a huge fire!

pmaitra

What would be the effect if the wooden scaffolding was made of fresh pinewood?

I am asking this since we have had cases of bunkers catching fire having roofing with fresh pine logs!
With a burning cigarette butt? I doubt it. Don't have much experience with igniting pine-wood, but pine-needles can definitely catch fire.

pmaitra

Of course, given the fact that the weather is cold and most possibly wet, a burning cigarette butt may not cause such a huge fire!
That is why I speculated Hydrogen-Peroxide.

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Do you think this will/should have an impact on the induction of INS Chakra into IN's fleet?

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
That is why I speculated Hydrogen-Peroxide.

You're postulating that one of the torpedoes leaked hydrogen peroxide?

I think Western navies no longer use Hydrogen Peroxide on torpedoes after that British Sub incident.

pmaitra

Do you think this will/should have an impact on the induction of INS Chakra into IN's fleet?
I don't think so. I think that India must have checked the submarine well at the time of delivery, especially after a similar fire and the Kursk tragedy.

I think Western navies no longer use Hydrogen Peroxide on torpedoes after that British Sub incident.
You're right. AFAIK, H2O2 is discontinued in Western Torpedo systems.

Last edited:

pmaitra

You're postulating that one of the torpedoes leaked hydrogen peroxide?
No, I am not postulating, I am speculating.

Kursk had a Hydrogen-Peroxide leak from a torpedo which is believed to have come in contact with rust and caused a fire and explosion that sank it. In this case, the fire started in the torpedo compartment.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Freshly cut pine oozes sap that is inflammable.

Unless cured, the sap oozes for a long time.

One of our Sikh officer was using such a bunker for a day and when he came out, it appeared as if he had freshly fixoed his beard and forgotten to put it in place.

Luckily Sikhs don't smoke! :)

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
I don't think so. I think that India must have checked the submarine well at the time of delivery, especially after a similar fire and the Kursk tragedy.
One can only wish that the quality inspection was the most meticulous ever done. Russian wares seem to be prone to fatal defects these days...

pmaitra

One of our Sikh officer was using such a bunker for a day and when he came out, it appeared as if he had freshly fixoed his beard and forgotten to put it in place.

Yes, pine oil is inflammable. I think it is same with eucalyptus. Not exactly freshly cut, because that will never catch fire because of the moisture. I think that bunker you are talking about had a heating system, burning coal to keep the soldiers warm or some kind of stove burning inside that must have dried the pine logs of all the moisture thus making it easy for the remaining oil and wood to catch fire. It is really hard to set freshly cut wood on fire.

Last edited:

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag

If it is inflammable it doesn't matter if he smokes or not. Flammable would be a problem.

spikey360

Crusader
Country flag
India better be wary of its leased Russian nuclear sub... The Kursk sunk because of torpedoes? Russian tech is imploding: rockets malfunctioning, subs exploding on their own...:scared2:

A dose of hard reality for megalomaniacal Putin. Russia is not the USSR! :laugh:
US boot-licker, one day will come when you will be under our feet, The Indians, The Russians, The Chinese and the The Brazilians.

pmaitra

The Kursk sunk because of torpedoes?
Yes.

No offense, but this is the reason why I got the impression that you are clueless.

You are a senior member and the Kursk sank a long time back. I thought you would have known that by now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Srg-Jza1J-M
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvKuBWTswn4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_PlxkD8fwY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=560zBdCfZCU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzRmGKwWxAg

US boot-licker, one day will come when you will be under our feet, The Indians, The Russians, The Chinese and the The Brazilians.
Dude relax. Why are you going ballistic?

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles