Finland wants to join Russia

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Regarding Russians in Finland, big issue is the language barrier, Estonians got an edge in the labour market because their language in close to Finland. Russian minority will not cause any problem in Finland, the idea is very far fetched, sorry. Regarding "buffer zones" Germany needed buffer zones around her 70 years ago, not anymore. in that sense Russia is lagging 50 years behind in strategic thinking. The discussion in Finland has lately turned European, we see us as a part of EU more than ever before, European identity is getting stronger, maybe some day we will have United States of Europe.
That is hogwash if you don't mind.

Racial hatred towards the Russian origin people in Finland has been acknowledged by the ECRI.

And do not forget that the educational level of Russian immigrants in Finland is fairly high.

It is rather odd that you bring in German necessity of buffer zones. Have I mentioned it?

And why should German want a buffer zone now?

They have all the NATO surrogates to the East giving them a HUGE buffer zone as it is.

United States of Europe?

Dreaming?

Check the squabbles in the EU.

And what does the Britons feel about the EU?

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
The readers' editor on"¦ the�pro-Russia trolls below the line on Ukraine stories | Chris Elliott | Comment is free | The Guardian

Russian minority in Finland is 1.5% of population. Putin need to invest A LOT to make them cause trouble.
In Sweden 5% of the total population are Muslims.

And yet Sweden finds

Swedish police: Muslim terrorists "a huge threat
https://www.google.co.in/webhp?sour...mic+terrorism+in+sweden+and+muslim+population

The capability to cause chaos and mayhem is more important than the numbers.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Why would Russians want to cause mayhem? They like to live peacefully in a clean and stable place.... talking of course about ordinary Russians, current Government policy is another matter.

Friendly Russian invasion in Finland - thisisFINLAND
I would not know.

it is you who suggested that the Finns have woken up to the reality and are veering towards US of Europe because of Russian actions.

As far as I am concerned, Finland and Russia are too far from us to worry about as to what they do.

jouni

I would not know.

it is you who suggested that the Finns have woken up to the reality and are veering towards US of Europe because of Russian actions.

As far as I am concerned, Finland and Russia are too far from us to worry about as to what they do.
So, your memory is three posts long...

apple

There are about 30,000 people have citizenship of the Russian Federation, and Russian is the mother language of about 70,000 people in Finland. The ECRI recommended that action be taken to combat negative societal attitudes and manifestations of intolerance towards the members of Russian-speaking communities.

When considering the integration of Russian immigrants to Finland from the viewpoint of employment, it can be noticed that the Russian immigrants have not been very successful in finding their place in the job market. The educational level of Russian immigrants in Finland is fairly high: almost 40% of them have graduated from the university or polytechnic, whereas the corresponding number of the whole Finnish population is 30%. Despite this fact unemployment among people with Russian backgrounds is notably higher than that of Finnish citizens. The Russians and Estonians have been more successful than refugees in finding employment in Finland, but the unemployment rate of Russian citizens is twice that of Estonians.
That's some good knowledge you've picked up there Ray. However, numbers don't tell the whole story.

Many Russian citizens in Finland are ethnically Finnish and while their "mother tongue" may be Russian, Finnish could be their "second" mother tongue, or they could at least be very, very proficient with Finnish.

Also, Russian go to "university" after they've finished what would be high school in Finland, while Finns would do senior high/ 6 form college or Polytechnic before going to University. Ignoring the difference in standards between; Russian high school and university and Finnish high school and senior high, a Russian "university degree" is just not as relevant to the Finnish workplace as a Finnish Senior High/ Polytechnic certificate.

A further complication is that Bachelor Degree's aren't fully recognised in Finland. It's only been quite recently Finnish universities have allowed their students to graduate before completing their Master's degree.

Also not mentioned in your figures is that many Estonians in Finland are ethnically Russian and aren't necessarily that good at Finnish.

So, your memory is three posts long...
No, his memory doesn't even run to one post.

And before you ( not prohumanity ) start replying with "Kosovo", "Junta", "coop", "Nuland",

Heard of Kosovo?

To be fair, the West, NATO and Russia have much to do with Ukraine.

The only thing worse than being blind is having sight but no vision.
Your moral equivalency really annoys me...

Regarding Russians in Finland, big issue is the language barrier, Estonians got an edge in the labour market because their language in close to Finland. Russian minority will not cause any problem in Finland, the idea is very far fetched, sorry. Regarding "buffer zones" Germany needed buffer zones around her 70 years ago, not anymore. in that sense Russia is lagging 50 years behind in strategic thinking. The discussion in Finland has lately turned European, we see us as a part of EU more than ever before, European identity is getting stronger, maybe some day we will have United States of Europe.

It is rather odd that you bring in German necessity of buffer zones. Have I mentioned it?

And why should German want a buffer zone now?

They have all the NATO surrogates to the East giving them a HUGE buffer zone as it is.

United States of Europe?
It was you, Ray, that brought up strategic depth. Buffer zones, strategic depth, etc. is really old-school, debatedly no longer relevant, politics.

Personally, I don't see the Russian government's military intervention in the Ukraine as being about strategic depth. But yes, can't see Russia invading Finland any time soon

jouni

@apple, Thanks for sharp notions. I think we have to give some slack, we don´t want our Indian friends feel that they are sandwiched between Finland and Australia...

Last edited by a moderator:

apple

@apple, Thanks for sharp notions. I think we have to give some slack, we don´t want our Indian friends feel that they are sandwiched between Finland and Australia...
:) That would be a mighty big sandwich

Last edited by a moderator:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
That's some good knowledge you've picked up there Ray. However, numbers don't tell the whole story.

Many Russian citizens in Finland are ethnically Finnish and while their "mother tongue" may be Russian, Finnish could be their "second" mother tongue, or they could at least be very, very proficient with Finnish.

Also, Russian go to "university" after they've finished what would be high school in Finland, while Finns would do senior high/ 6 form college or Polytechnic before going to University. Ignoring the difference in standards between; Russian high school and university and Finnish high school and senior high, a Russian "university degree" is just not as relevant to the Finnish workplace as a Finnish Senior High/ Polytechnic certificate.

A further complication is that Bachelor Degree's aren't fully recognised in Finland. It's only been quite recently Finnish universities have allowed their students to graduate before completing their Master's degree.

Also not mentioned in your figures is that many Estonians in Finland are ethnically Russian and aren't necessarily that good at Finnish.
Have to check that out.

Your moral equivalency really annoys me...
Likewise, your blind illfounded partisanship.

It was you, Ray, that brought up strategic depth. Buffer zones, strategic depth, etc. is really old-school, debatedly no longer relevant, politics.
The day all that is 'old school', then strategic thinking would fly out of the window!

Personally, I don't see the Russian government's military intervention in the Ukraine as being about strategic depth. But yes, can't see Russia invading Finland any time soon
Being blind maybe a handicap, but having sight and no vision is pathetically unfortunate.

apple

The day all that is 'old school', then strategic thinking would fly out of the window!

Being blind maybe a handicap, but having sight and no vision is pathetically unfortunate.
So you have visions of Russian invading Finland then, or are talking about the Ukraine? To me, the most likely resolution of the situation is the Ukraine/ Russian border will move a bit to the west. Russia is operating over it's own border into a neighbouring country it plans to annex, how is that providing strategic depth?

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
Your friends doing medicine in Russia told you this ? Or were your friends in the majority ? :)
Dude? WTH??

This is a nonsensical reasoning. by the same logic, Britain is not the colonial abuser it once was during the British Raj days and the Indians are living way better in UK than in India and hence Indians should consider joining back the British empire:rolleyes:

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
No choice for Baltic states and Finland other than join NATO. And be a part of NATO, join cold war-2 or ww3.

Few NATO members do have their JVs in defence sector with Russia.

No one cried for sovereignty and NATO membership there.
I would rather, India lose its foreign policy sovereignty to US than to live under Chinese rule. I think the same applies to almost every country in the world. Territorial sovereignty vs foreign policy sovereignty- territorial sovereignty trumps the latter hands down!

Zebra

Country flag
I would rather, India lose its foreign policy sovereignty to US than to live under Chinese rule. I think the same applies to almost every country in the world. Territorial sovereignty vs foreign policy sovereignty- territorial sovereignty trumps the latter hands down!
Choice is yours.

BTW, if India prefer to join US side, then how it will effect Indian interests?

I don't care about the US, but I am more concern about Indian interests, only and only.

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
Choice is yours.

BTW, if India prefer to join US side, then how it will effect Indian interests?
If India is an ally of US the way Japan is of US, then we would not have to worry too much about the Chinese aggression.

Zebra

Country flag
If India is an ally of US the way Japan is of US, then we would not have to worry too much about the Chinese aggression.
No sanctions against India in future, easy access to stuff which are not available at present, Geo-strategic interests gets protected.

What say!

Zebra

Country flag
I am not talking to become an ally, who has US base in their countries.

But still stay soft towards US in defence business, specially for really huge deals. It will make things easy.

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
No sanctions against India in future, easy access to stuff which are not available at present, Geo-strategic interests gets protected.

What say!
All the goodies for a small price of being their lapdog! Also, US is not a trustworthy friend. Tomorrow, if India grows strong enough to stand on its own, it will treat India the same way it is treating China now! China was their ally in the as recently as the 90s when USSR existed

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles