Finland wants to join Russia

Akim

Professional
Country flag
http://www.defensenews.com/story/de...land-tactical-response-units-russia/30197931/

Finland To Deploy Quick Response Units Along Russian Border
By Gerard O'Dwyer11:37 a.m. EDT July 18, 2015
714TWEET 76LINKEDINCOMMENTEMAILMORE
HELSINKI — Finland's Armed Forces Command has added a quick response dynamic with plans to locate rapid reaction units (RRUs) to military districts that fall under the command of the country's four military provinces.

Defense Minister Jussi Niinistö described the initiative as necessary to strengthen operational readiness and bolster Finland's overall defense and deterrence capabilities against rising regional tensions over Russia's military intervention in Ukraine.

The focus of deployment for the RRUs, which constitute a new feature within Finland's territorial-based, infantry-centered defense strategy, will be military districts close to Finland's 833-mile border with Russia.

Finnish territorial defense doctrine traditionally has been to use mobile field Army units backed by mainly local reserve forces to counter, delay, repel and inflict heavy losses on aggressors attacking across Finland's heavily forested, lake-rich frontier and inland terrains.

The RRUs will add a front-line rapid deployment combat force to the military's arsenal. The modular-type structure will enable RRUs to be used in defensive and offensive forward roles.

The RRUs are intended to comprise a mix of career officers and soldiers, as well as troops drawn from special forces units, retrained reservists and conscripts.

"The deployment of troops is our touchstone. Both the Air Force and Navy have a rapid-response capability, and this is the challenge that the Army now has," Niinistö said.

The Ministry of Defense is considering proposals to increase the Finnish Armed Force's recruitment and training budget to broaden the scope for reservist-dedicated service contracts and refresher courses.

Legislative hurdles will need to be cleared before the RRUs can take reservists in large numbers, said Ilkka Kanerva, chairman of the Finland's Parliamentary Defense Committee.

"New legislation is needed to enable the armed forces to recruit reservists in a transparent and efficient way. Under the present system, reservist contracts do not stipulate exact service times or how quickly reservists can be mobilized and armed," Kanerva said.

The transformed security situation in the Nordic and Baltic regions has forced the government and the military to accelerate the process of establishing, training and deploying RRUs, said Kanerva.

"Finland must reform its preparedness so that our defense organization and structures are at an appropriate level. It is legislation that is lagging behind right now," Kanerva said.

The Finnish armed forces has a standing strength of 12,000 troops. The conscript-centered armed forces, based on current reservist numbers, can mobilize up to 230,000 combat troops and service personnel within one to four weeks. About 21,600 conscripts are expected to complete their call-up training in 2015.

The decision to establish and deploy RRUs in a largely offensive role comes as the Finnish government reaches a provisional agreement with opposition parties to increase the defense budget in 2016-2020.

The growing all-party support for a much larger defense budget is being driven by unprecedented public support for a stronger military organization, a greater deterrence capability and a closer relationship with NATO.

The broad political backing for higher spending levels comes after successive years of cuts to the armed forces' core budget. The slide continued in 2015 when spending as a ratio of GDP dropped to 1.28 percent, down from 1.34 percent in 2014. The core defense budget in 2015 is set at $2.9 billion.

The Finnish government's unease over Ukraine is also reflected in several initiatives taken since April. These included a communication sent by the government to private companies, including in the strategic defense and security sectors, to inform them of upcoming changes to Finnish defense strategy.

The companies contacted form the basis of the so-called state-industrial-service wartime partnership that underscores Finland's Total Defense strategy. The communiqué stated that companies would receive further information in coming months regarding enhanced military and national defense preparedness programs.

In May, reservists received letters from the Armed Forces Command notifying them of their assigned combat and service roles in a wartime situation. The communication also informed reservists of structural changes to the national defense organization, which has been undergoing modernization since 2008.

The RRUs, which are expected to be organized in a similar manner to that of the armed forces' international-mission oriented Rapid Deployment Force (RDF), are the latest part of the Army's modernization drive.

Established in 1996, the battalion-level RDF is trained to participate at "short notice" in multinational peacekeeping and "crisis management" operations. The RDF's core structure comprises a mechanized Jaeger-standard specialized forces battalion, a combat engineer battalion, a brigade-level command-and-communications system and a civil-military cooperation company.

If the new RRUs are structured in the style of the RDF, they will have a modular organization capable of operating alongside, or as part of, a larger integrated force, in coordinated missions with both naval warships and Air Force fighter support units.

The military's modernization program has reinforced shortfalls in the Navy's and Army's operating capabilities. The Navy took delivery of its first Jehu-class fast landing boats in June, filling a void in its littoral fleet for a multipurpose craft that can be used for troop transports, sea surveillance, battle and battle support missions.

The Navy's Squadron 2020 project has underlined the need for a new multipurpose warship to replace its existing fleet of Hämeenmaa and Rauma class ships. Emphasis is being placed on acquiring a ship type with advanced submarine hunting capabilities.

The Army's purchase of 20 NH90 helicopters has improved its tactical and transport capability. The final NH90 aircraft, assembled by Patria in Finland, was delivered in June.
Russia now behaves much crazier than it did the USSR. Putin has no mechanism of containment and control. Previously, it was the Politburo.
Finns do not be afraid of Putin.

jouni

Russia now behaves much crazier than it did the USSR. Putin has no mechanism of containment and control. Previously, it was the Politburo.
Finns do not be afraid of Putin.
We are not afraid. It is quite funny actually, when Russian politics say that preparing against Russia is like preparing against Marsians. Or when Russian military calms down worried Russian citizens by saying that Finns do not have enough troops in the border to attack Russia.... What a crazy country ;) LOL....

Akim

Professional
Country flag
We are not afraid. It is quite funny actually, when Russian politics say that preparing against Russia is like preparing against Marsians. Or when Russian military calms down worried Russian citizens by saying that Finns do not have enough troops in the border to attack Russia.... What a crazy country ;) LOL....

Today I listened to Zhirinovsky, who said that ISIS is an American project to destroy Russia and Europe.:daru:

pmaitra

Ie Zhirinovsky rational person?:crazy:
This is not about Zhirinovsky. It is about what he said. I believe that ISIS came into existence as a consequence of the US and the west arming and funding anti-Assad Sunni fundamentalists.

I will believe it when Zhirinovsky says it. I will believe it if my neighbour's pet dog says it.

Akim

Professional
Country flag
This is not about Zhirinovsky. It is about what he said. I believe that ISIS came into existence as a consequence of the US and the west arming and funding anti-Assad Sunni fundamentalists.
In this I agree with you. However, why this has not happened in Indochina? Here in Africa a similar situation.

pmaitra

In this I agree with you. However, why this has not happened in Indochina? Here in Africa a similar situation.
Spasiba Bolshoi.

"Here in Africa?" You live in Africa? :shock:

Well, if you look at Boko Haram, or North and South Sudan, or Kenya, or even Egypt (technically, it is in Africa), you will there is a rise of Islamist Fundamentalism happening in Africa.

Edited to add: Indo-China is largely Buddhist. However, there is Islamist Fundamentalism in Indonesia, Thailand, and Myanmar.

The US is probably not involved, but a dear friend of US, Saudi Arabia, is totally committed to the spread of Sunni Fundamentalist Wahhabi ideology.

Last edited:

Akim

Professional
Country flag
Spasiba Bolshoi.

"Here in Africa?" You live in Africa? :shock:

Well, if you look at Boko Haram, or North and South Sudan, or Kenya, or even Egypt (technically, it is in Africa), you will there is a rise of Islamist Fundamentalism happening in Africa.

Edited to add: Indo-China is largely Buddhist. However, there is Islamist Fundamentalism in Indonesia, Thailand, and Myanmar.

The US is probably not involved, but a dear friend of US, Saudi Arabia, is totally committed to the spread of Sunni Fundamentalist Wahhabi ideology.

This redistribution of resources. Africa and the middle East is rich in these resources .(oil, natural gas, gold, diamonds, bauxite). Where Central authority is weak, then other forces trying to keep hold of that pie. Islamism is not to blame.

pmaitra

This redistribution of resources. Africa and the middle East is rich in these resources .(oil, natural gas, gold, diamonds, bauxite). Where Central authority is weak, then other forces trying to keep hold of that pie. Islamism is not to blame.
Where central authority is weak, other forces try to get hold of the pie. True.

Also, where central authority is strong, like Saudi Arabia. In Saudi Arabia, other forces try to get hold of the pie. Their theocratic dictatorship is supported by the US, and the US has a hold on Saudi oil. It was the same case in Iraq, till Saddam decided to switch to Euro.

Islamists are one of the stakeholders in Africa. They are not the only stakeholders. There are others too. I don't agree with your last sentence.

Finally, watch the movie "Blood Diamond."

marrakesh

Rebublic of carelia is an Russian federation oblast. (Region). Part of that oblast belonged to Finland berofe WWII, in the peace treaty that part was annexed by Russia. All the finns moved away to homeland. Russians got an empty land with nobody left. Stalin brought new inhabitants from southern Russia. Karelian Oblast is a poor neglected oblast, Finland supports it a lot through EU cross border programs. Very beautiful land, I would imagine like Kashmir to you. Very few want it back in Finland. It now reminds everybody what is the difference between Russia and Finland. It is like going back in time 70 years to a god forsaken land..
You're lying shamelessly.

jouni

You're lying shamelessly.
What exactly am I lying? It is poor land and Finland has poured millions of Euros there in aid. Did you know that Piter water cleaning plant is largely paid by EU and Finnish money. I admit that Karelia is getting little better these last years with new roads etc. You said once that you were ex military? Do you have passport? Have you been in Finland, then you can compare Vyborg region to Lappeenranta region with your own eyes.

marrakesh

What exactly am I lying? It is poor land and Finland has poured millions of Euros there in aid.
You're lying that "All the finns moved away to homeland"
You're lying that "Russians got an empty land with nobody left"
You're lying that "Stalin brought new inhabitants from southern Russia"
You're lying that "Karelian Oblast is a poor neglected oblast".
Did you know that Piter water cleaning plant is largely paid by EU and Finnish money.
Yes, I know, about 30 000 000 euro.
Did you know that Russia invest NPP construction in Finland, and send 1 000 000 000 euro first transh?
I admit that Karelia is getting little better these last years with new roads etc. You said once that you were ex military? Do you have passport? Have you been in Finland, then you can compare Vyborg region to Lappeenranta region with your own eyes.
Budget expenditures of Karelia in 2014 was near 500 000 000 euro. How much money is your aid?
I often go to Finland, for the rest and shopping. And I often go to Karelia, for the rest and work. Yes, I can compare both. And I agree, that Finland lives better for the present. But we'll catch up, do not doubt.

jouni

You're lying that "All the finns moved away to homeland"
You're lying that "Russians got an empty land with nobody left"
You're lying that "Stalin brought new inhabitants from southern Russia"
You're lying that "Karelian Oblast is a poor neglected oblast".

Yes, I know, about 30 000 000 euro.
Did you know that Russia invest NPP construction in Finland, and send 1 000 000 000 euro first transh?

Budget expenditures of Karelia in 2014 was near 500 000 000 euro. How much money is your aid?
I often go to Finland, for the rest and shopping. And I often go to Karelia, for the rest and work. Yes, I can compare both. And I agree, that Finland lives better for the present. But we'll catch up, do not doubt.
As sizable numbers of civilians who had been relocated into Finland from Karelia in 1939-40 had moved back into Karelia during the war, they had to be evacuated again; of the 260,000 civilians who had moved back into the Karelia, only 19 chose to remain and become Soviet citizens.[

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continuation_War#Armistice_and_aftermath

Ok, not ALL Finns left for the homeland, 19 stayed.

http://www.karjalanapu.org

Here is one of the many organisations who arrange help to Karelia. Is it good that you have started to invest in Karelia. 70 years of downfall is surely enough for that beautiful region. If things continue peacefully Helsinki- Piter region could be one of the most dynamic economic regions in Europe with 10 million people...

jouni

Exporting humanitarian aid to Russia has decreased dramatically in recent years. On the other hand, Estonia has become an important aid in. EU country it is easily achievable to Russia, and especially in the north-east Estonia suffers from unemployment and poverty.Soviet Union collapsed, Finland's neighboring areas at Russian Karelia was seen even hunger. Countless different organizations took him to Russia of goods and food aid in the 1990s and even the 2000s the beginning, but the situation has changed."We have not had large-scale humanitarian operation in years. Departments are still a small export goods passing people involved mainly in the Karelian children's homes," says Secretary General of Finland-Russia Society Merja Hannus.Conditions in Russia have improved, and also the country's own non-governmental organizations are doing a greater proportion of social and health assistance work.Taking the assistance to Russia restrains the bureaucracy as large tranche need to obtain an export permit from Moscow.Joensuu-based nonpartisan assistance of Karelia association has found that obtaining export permits Moscow to take longer than usual."There is a small cubs of the Cold War," describes Managing Director Veijo Saarelainen.

http://www.hs.fi/kotimaa/a1431492605951

jouni

@marrakesh, is this the real reason for your sudden interest in Karelia?

Karelia is the last of the Russian opposition mayor - now Putin's supporters are trying to smoke him out

Opposition noisy street demonstrations, open to the media war and businessmen from the opposition ranks. Russian Karelia, seething in a way that has been exceptional in Russia after the Crimean conquest.

The mayor Galina Širšina, 36, sits in his office in Petrozavodsk run-down city hall and smiles as if he would not be at the center of a political storm. Russia's last opposition mayor of the window overlooking the windy Lake Onega.

"I do not count the days. However, town councilors have already openly talking about the premature resignation."

"I'm not afraid. As long as I am given time, as long as I work for the benefit of our city."

SERGEI GRATŠOV
The opposition party Yabloko activist Gadirov Gadir shared the Director of the Republic of Karelia Alexander Hudilaisen difference demanding slips of paper in June in Petrozavodsk. The police came to the scene to oust him.
The opposition party Yabloko activist Gadirov Gadir shared the Director of the Republic of Karelia Alexander Hudilaisen difference demanding slips of paper in June in Petrozavodsk. The police came to the scene to oust him.
Pressures around Širšinan are constantly increasing. His supporters sitting in pre-trial detention and under house arrest on charges of economic crimes. Opposition says suspicions are political.

Some of the accused or their representatives who agree to speak only nimettä, others have been intimidated to silence entirely.

The mayor's main sponsor and the opposition party Yabloko local leader Vasily Popov was forced to flee to Finland

SERGEI GRATŠOV

http://www.hs.fi/ulkomaat/a1435979253631?ref=hs-top4-4

marrakesh

As sizable numbers of civilians who had been relocated into Finland from Karelia in 1939-40 had moved back into Karelia during the war, they had to be evacuated again; of the 260,000 civilians who had moved back into the Karelia, only 19 chose to remain and become Soviet citizens.[

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continuation_War#Armistice_and_aftermath

Ok, not ALL Finns left for the homeland, 19 stayed.
19 Finns you say?
Official population census in Karelia:
1939 - 8322 Finns
1959 - 27829 Finns
http://www.karjalanapu.org
Here is one of the many organisations who arrange help to Karelia. Is it good that you have started to invest in Karelia. 70 years of downfall is surely enough for that beautiful region. If things continue peacefully Helsinki- Piter region could be one of the most dynamic economic regions in Europe with 10 million people...

Global Defence

New threads

Articles