Finland - Society and Economy

jouni

It is comfortable to know that in this year of conflict and suffering of 2014, that there is still one country in the world where it is possible to live life like it was meant to be. There is still one country that can work as a mediator in all the conflicts in the world also in 2015. Conflict of Ukraine is closest in our heart and we believe that we can give to both Russia and Ukraine a model in which to follow.
The Fund for Peace

Finland was part of Russian empire hundred years ago, so nothing is impossible also for Russia. It just needs change of policy and strong will and the crisis can be overcome.

Redhawk

Can we get a bigger version of this map, jouni, or maybe a link to a larger version? This is too small to be read.

tarunraju

Sanathan Pepe
Mod
Country flag
Yeah because everyone has marksman training and can climb up trees.

Any reason why Hainan is less stable than the rest of China?

Last edited:

pmaitra

Finland is neck deep in debt. It produces about two thirds of its external debt annually. At the same time, it is the most sustainable? Sure, as long as the flow of borrowed money continues.

Who comes up with these ridiculous rakings?

jouni

Finland is neck deep in debt. It produces about two thirds of its external debt annually. At the same time, it is the most sustainable? Sure, as long as the flow of borrowed money continues.

You were so happy that Russia had no gov debt, Russian state companies has 600 Bn $. Who is gonna bail them out when western sources are closed. Russia is going down to junk bond rating. Finland has AA+ rating.

pmaitra

You were so happy that Russia had no gov debt, Russian state companies has 600 Bn $. Who is gonna bail them out when western sources are closed. Russia is going down to junk bond rating. Finland has AA+ rating.
Why would anyone need to bail out a net creditor nation? Yes, AA+ rating helps Finland, because, it is thriving on borrowed money. So, thank you for making my point without realizing it.

Redhawk

Why would anyone need to bail out a net creditor nation? Yes, AA+ rating helps Finland, because, it is thriving on borrowed money. So, thank you for making my point without realizing it.
The whole Western world, to a greater or lesser degree, is surviving or thriving on borrowed money.

Gone are the days when Western countries lived within their means and prosperity was based on what they produced and sold and they were consistently in the black. Indeed, when Western countries were creditors not debtors.

Otm Shank2

What would the effect on Finland and its economy be if the Russian economy tanked jouni?

jouni

What would the effect on Finland and its economy be if the Russian economy tanked jouni?
It would hurt. A lot of trade, investment and tourism. Still everybody is pro sanctions in the government. It is clear that Russia has to be stopped.Of course cheap oil and weak ruble also benefits a lot of Finns.

Luckily we are not so dependable on Russia as we were in Soviet times with bilateral trade.

Redhawk

Good question. And the answer is no, except that this is a silly, nonsensical map.

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag

Probably because the author is not smart enough to distinguish Hainan and HK.
Note that Nepal also has two colors. The sherpa regions along the Sino-Nepal border is darker. Poor MS Paint skills ? :lol:

Overall shows low quality content as usual by OP. :thumb:

Good question. And the answer is no, except that this is a silly, nonsensical map.
Agreed the usual feel-good articles (and maps to go with them) that are so popular in Western media.

Last edited:

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag

Not to mention rape. While Western media loves to focus on rape in India (India has some of the lowest rape rates in the world) and that Delhi-bus rape case, what they are deliberately avoiding is the rape epidemic in countries like Sweden (which are only slightly better than sub-Sahara).

http://defenceforumindia.com/forum/politics-society/65948-rape-rhetoric-reality.html#post985813

Also note that Sweden is about 25% immigrant or immigrant descendant (mostly from other EU countries). Some fireworks possible in future.

As usual just another feel-good article with lots of words and maps but very less facts.

Last edited:

jouni

Not to mention rape. While Western media loves to focus on rape in India (India has some of the lowest rape rates in the world) and that Delhi-bus rape case, what they are deliberately avoiding is the rape epidemic in countries like Sweden (which are only slightly better than sub-Sahara).

http://defenceforumindia.com/forum/politics-society/65948-rape-rhetoric-reality.html#post985813

Also note that Sweden is about 25% immigrant or immigrant descendant (mostly from other EU countries). Some fireworks possible in future.

As usual just another feel-good article with lots of words and maps but very less facts.
Am I sensing sour grapes here? India with all her thousands years civilization cannot even dream of ever having the standard of living of Finland. We know it, so even with down economy we are not cutting aid to India, or co-op projects.

Of course some in Finland are protesting giving aid to 1500$ GDP country who spends billions in military programs.

Last edited:

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
Am I sensing sour grapes here?
:rofl: :rofl:

No. Don't delude yourself.

--------------

Agreed. Right now, India is not in great position economy-wise.
But give it some time, potential is immense.
Even now Nordic countries (Scandinavia and Finland) are relatively irrelevant pawns that have to rely on immigration just to maintain their population.

Understand that there are only 4 great powers on the planet.
Russia, China, India and the state controlling the North American continent.
Don't let temporal abnormalities fool you.

PS: I saw that you edited your original comment and added some stuff.
With ref to aid.
First off there is no such thing as free stuff. Maybe it is difficult for you to understand living in a Finland.
Aid usually comes with strings attached and benefits the donors greatly.
Next, paraphrasing ex-FM of India "We don't need the peanuts you offer as aid."

Last edited:

jouni

I wonder how many centuries it takes to see India's potential fulfilled. Hopefully China can help to pull you along to prosperity train.

Well on a positive note, you have tripled your GDP per capita in the last fifteen years. In 2000 it was 500$, five hundred, huh...

Last edited:

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
I wonder how many centuries it takes to see India's potential fulfilled. Hopefully China can help to pull you along to prosperity train.

Well on a positive note, you have tripled your GDP per capita in the last fifteen years. In 2000 it was 500$, five hundred, huh...
At least tag me, it is cumbersome to keep track otherwise.

As expected from you, you have immediately deflected towards India, without addressing any points about Finland and Scandinavia (the topic of the thread) that I raised in my previous posts.

GDP is a mere number.
Triple, quadrupled doesn't really matter. These are numbers and just one of the factors in determining the future of nations.
And also you need to start using GDP PPP (India is 3 rd largest by PPP)
Why ?
Imagine you make an apple and I make an apple.
Your apple may cost $ 1.00, while mine may cost $ 0.10. And so you will add $ 1.00 to your GDP but I will add $ 0.10, but the product we produced is the same.

jouni

:rofl: :rofl:

No. Don't delude yourself.

--------------

Agreed. Right now, India is not in great position economy-wise.
But give it some time, potential is immense.
Even now Nordic countries (Scandinavia and Finland) are relatively irrelevant pawns that have to rely on immigration just to maintain their population.

Understand that there are only 4 great powers on the planet.
Russia, China, India and the state controlling the North American continent.
Don't let temporal abnormalities fool you.

PS: I saw that you edited your original comment and added some stuff.
With ref to aid.
First off there is no such thing as free stuff. Maybe it is difficult for you to understand living in a Finland.
Aid usually comes with strings attached and benefits the donors greatly.
Next, paraphrasing ex-FM of India "We don't need the peanuts you offer as aid."
At least tag me, it is cumbersome to keep track otherwise.

As expected from you, you have immediately deflected towards India, without addressing any points about Finland and Scandinavia (the topic of the thread) that I raised in my previous posts.

GDP is a mere number.
Triple, quadrupled doesn't really matter. These are numbers and just one of the factors in determining the future of nations.
And also you need to start using GDP PPP (India is 3 rd largest by PPP)
Why ?
Imagine you make an apple and I make an apple.
Your apple may cost $ 1.00, while mine may cost $ 0.10. And so you will add $ 1.00 to your GDP but I will add $ 0.10, but the product we produced is the same.
What do you wanna know? About rape, I have not heard that it is a problem here. Of course with our new tougher law it is very easy to get charges.
Finland to toughen rape legislation | Yle Uutiset | yle.fi

In Finland, 34% of the rape of offenders are foreigners. Finland 4% of the population is foreign-born. Finland 3% of the population are foreign nationals. Finnish prisons, 15% of prison inmates are foreigners. A small group of 3-4% of the population makes more than a third of all rapes and almost one-fifth of all crimes.

About "great powers", I cannot think anything that those great powers have that I need to be happy. Whether big or small countrys first priority is to provide for all its citizens. There nobody can beat scandinavians.

You are saying that Russia is one of top four powers, that is interesting view indeed.

Last edited:

pmaitra

Am I sensing sour grapes here?
Seeing that all your diverse threads gravitate towards tossing muck at Russia, and, seeing that Finland fails miserably with Russia in almost all angles, comparing it with Germany instead, and the west in general, I think you have a littoral state syndrome, or alternatively, tiny salamander syndrome.

We are used to it. Our neighbour, Pakistan, has nothing to boast about itself, so they always compare India with PRC, to bring India down.

Sorry, didn't mean to offend you.

Smart words, innit? First offend, and then say sorry. I learnt this from you. :lol:

jouni

Seeing that all your diverse threads gravitate towards tossing muck at Russia, and, seeing that Finland fails miserably with Russia in almost all angles, comparing it with Germany instead, and the west in general, I think you have a littoral state syndrome, or alternatively, tiny salamander syndrome.

We are used to it. Our neighbour, Pakistan, has nothing to boast about itself, so they always compare India with PRC, to bring India down.

Sorry, didn't mean to offend you.

Smart words, innit? First offend, and then say sorry. I learnt this from you. :lol:
It would be interesting to know how many of you Russia fan boys have actually spent time in Russia to get to know it. Yes I will mock Russia as long as their politics remain as they are. If you want to insult me, try to Find Finland vs Sweden rivalry, that works, not Russia -angle. I have to google those syndromes to find out what they mean.

I have no hidden agenda. I wish India and Russia would prosper. I lived five years in Baltics and saw how those countries were rebuilt with EU help. It pisses me off to see that Russia once again missed the opportunity and is heading back to stagnation and rise of inequity.

Last edited:

Global Defence

New threads

Articles