Fine Up to ₹ 100 Crores, jail likely for wrong map for India's borders

adrenalin

Tihar Jail
Banned
:doh:
Gadhe ki dum, go and Kashmir. My hometown us from Baramulla for your information. Nationalists are in Kashmir as well. New generation doesn't hate India.
i don't trust you. something wrong what you say. why den is stone throwing by people if new gen don't hate india. where u live now?

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
i don't trust you. something wrong what you say. why den is stone throwing by people if new gen don't hate india.
There are always two faces of a coin.
Both separatists and anti Nationals live in Kashmir as well as PoK. Don't use same spects for all.
where u live now?
Granpa moved to Himachal, from there dad moved to Haryana. Now, a days in Ambala and Faridabad(tours between districts as per need). :p

Navnit Kundu

Pika Hu Akbarrr!!
Yep, government is idiot and you're a braincell person
Could you even do what government did?
For Article 370's disposal, BJP needs around 365 supporters but Congis will never support over it.
They not only maintained this article for 7 decades, they are not even going to support it's fortification now.
Blunderbuss party.
Subhramanian swamy has presented a different arithmetic. He claims that the 370 autonomy clause was a derivative of British law which allowed princely states in British India to accede to the government, without the consent of their subjects. He claims that 370 has similar clauses and the government can simply pass a cabinet resolution, get the president to sign it and 370 will be gone, no need to even consult Kashmir, he says. The only reason it hasn't been done is to keep the Kashmiris under the impression that they are in control of their laws. If it is removed abruptly, then vested interests will use it to start a rebellion and insurgency will be started again. So we are keeping it. That was the gist of Swamy. I'm no legal expert but removing 370 now is not the magic wand that people make it out to be. Not that it shouldn't be done, but it shouldn't be the only thing that is done. The solution is demographic change, with or without 370. 370 is a symbolic thing. We need to change the demography first.

pmaitra

We had a rule in DFI to make it mandatory for members to add a disclaimer whenever posting the Indian map, indicating that the external borders are neither correct, nor authentic. This was in line with the Customs Stamp usually placed on foreign published books being imported into India. We have not been enforcing this rule, due to lack of time or attention. It might be a good idea to resurrect this practice in DFI.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
We had a rule in DFI to make it mandatory for members to add a disclaimer whenever posting the Indian map, indicating that the external borders are neither correct, nor authentic. This was in line with the Customs Stamp usually placed on foreign published books being imported into India. We have no been enforcing this rule, due to lack of time or attention. It might be a good idea to resurrect this practice in DFI.
Thanks for bringing this up PM, was thinking about it myself. Members have to be careful about maps being posted on DFI. Edit to show proper maps if maps that are to be posted are incorrect. We should have been doing this from day one but now let's make it a practice

Kshatriya87

Country flag
Pakistan expresses 'serious concern' over India's Geospatial bill

NEW DELHI|BENGALURU: Pakistan has expressed "serious concern" over India's controversial draft Geospatial Information Regulation Bill, based on United Nations Security Council (UNSC) resolutions, but experts say there is no merit in the claim.

As per an official release, Pakistan's foreign affairs ministry said they have sent letters to the United Nations Secretary General and the President of the UN Security Council expressing "serious concerns" over Indian government's efforts to introduce the Geospatial bill in the Indian parliament.

"In violation of UNSC resolutions, the official map of India has been depicting the disputed territory of Jammu and Kashmir as part of India which is factually incorrect and legally untenable. Through the passage of this Bill, the Indian government would penalize the individuals and organizations who depict Jammu and Kashmir as a disputed territory as per the United Nations Security Council (UNSC) resolutions." it said.

"While there are million different reasons why this regulation is something that will harm innovation is not in India's best interests, international law is not one of them," said Pranesh Prakash, policy director at Centre of Internet and Society.

"There is no violation of law that happens either through India depicting through official government sources a particular map, or by India telling others to depict such maps within India," he added.

The Pakistani ministry has asked the United Nations to "uphold the UNSC resolutions and urge India to stop such acts which are in violation of international law."

"We have urged the international community and the United Nations to fulfill their commitment with the people of Jammu and Kashmir by holding an independent and impartial plebiscite under UN auspices." it added.

However, in 2010, Jammu and Kashmir was removed from the UNSC list of unresolved disputes under the observation of the Council.

"Those resolutions don't say anything about maps either. There is no requirement in international law that certain kinds of maps or boundaries be depicted anywhere and the Pakistani claim is utterly without basis," said Prakash.

Earlier this month, Indian government had released a draft Geospatial Information Regulation Bill that said anyone mapping India by a satellite or aerial platform will need a licence from a government "security vetting authority".

Non-compliance with these guidelines could land you in jail for seven years along with a a fine of up to Rs 100 crore. The bill is currently seeking public comments until June 4.

Last week, a volunteer-led initiative called SaveTheMap, had also drafted a template response users can send to the Ministry.

The response provides a list of the things that people will not be able to do if the Bill is passed, including being unable to geotag photos, social media posts, record my daily running, cycling, walking or driving activity with smartphone apps, share location with friends and others via smartphone apps like WhatsApp, food delivery apps, transport apps etc.

"This current draft will dissuade a strong ecosystem of innovation. Please reconsider this current draft in favour of a regulation policy that will encourage all Indians who need and use geospatial data in everyday lives and who work every day to create businesses that serve India," the response adds.

Read more at:
http://economictimes.indiatimes.com...ofinterest&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=cppst

Kshatriya87

Country flag
None Of Pak's Business If We Want New Law For Incorrect Maps, Says India

http://www.ndtv.com/india-news/none...new-law-for-incorrect-maps-says-india-1407174

NEW DELHI: With India considering a proposal that would punish publishers or creators of maps that distort Kashmir with a stiff fine and time in prison, Pakistan has complained to the United Nations -triggering a brusque response from Delhi.

"Pakistan or any other party has no locus standi in our internal legislative matter," said a statement from the Foreign Ministry.

Earlier, Nafees Zakaria, a spokesperson for Pakistan's Foreign Office said India was trying to propagate an "incorrect and legally untenable" map, in violation of UN Security Council resolutions.

A letter sent to the UN by Pakistan urged India "to stop acts that are in violation of international law".

As reported first by NDTV a few weeks ago, the Home Ministry has sought feedback on a plan that makes it essential for anyone offering maps online to get a license from the government. Services like Google Maps gather information from satellites and crowd-sourced data. These could become illegal without sanction.

The proposal also offers a prison term of up to seven years and a fine of Rs. 100 crore for anyone who publishes an incorrect map of India's borders, including in Kashmir. India has in the past acted against media companies who showed inaccurate maps, but if it becomes law, the bill would impose specific penalties for the first time.

Last year, the government took the Al Jazeera news channel off air for nearly a week, saying it had repeatedly shown incorrect maps of Kashmir.

In 2011, The Economist placed white stickers over a diagram of borders in 28,000 copies on sale in India.

The government's new proposal could be submitted for review to parliament when it meets next in July.

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
He is entitled to his view and his 2 seconds of fame.
I didn't mean that.
I remember, during JNU row, he was defending their favour. Well, I well let it go on, his sensitive comments on sensitive issues gonna create much problems for him and his responders.
May not turn in a meteor on himself.
Well, I will report over a really sensitive issue, let it go on now.

Kshatriya87

Country flag
I didn't mean that.
I remember, during JNU row, he was defending their favour. Well, I well let it go on, his sensitive comments on sensitive issues gonna create much problems for him and his responders.
May not turn in a meteor on himself.
Well, I will report over a really sensitive issue, let it go on now.
He is just here to incite hatred. Just wants a retaliatory reaction from us. Remember - "Trolls die if you don't feed them"

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles