Ferguson on Fire Again

jouni

@jouni How much is the aid given to India by Finland?
I am not sure India and Nepal are the biggest aid receivers in India. To Nepal it is 25 Million yearly, I guess it is about the same for India.

Last edited by a moderator:

pmaitra

Ministry for Foreign Affairs of Finland: Development policy: Countries

Finland gives development aid yearly about 1.1 Billion Euros.
@Ray, @pmaitra
I like that Meteorological Department part.

On the other hand, I am concerned that part of the aid budget is targeted at the minorities, such as, Adivasis, Tamangs, Dalits. I hope GoI is keeping a close watch on what exactly is being done.

We have had plenty of foreign funded organizations, who started off with poverty alleviation, then moved over into proselytism, and then to separatism and terrorism in the North East.

jouni

I like that Meteorological Department part.

On the other hand, I am concerned that part of the aid budget is targeted at the minorities, such as, Adivasis, Tamangs, Dalits. I hope GoI is keeping a close watch on what exactly is being done.

We have had plenty of foreign funded organizations, who started off with poverty alleviation, then moved over into proselytism, and then to separatism and terrorism in the North East.
You better check those aid containers RK 95's and Patria Amos's.

DingDong

Country flag
You better check those aid containers RK 95's and Patria Amos's.

We won't be surprised at all if we find some.

India arrests crew of US ship on weapons charges

Police in a southern Indian port city arrested the crew of a U.S.-owned ship Friday for entering Indian waters illegally with a large cache of weapons and ammunition on board.

The MV Seaman Guard Ohio was detained Oct. 12 by the Indian Coast Guard and is currently anchored at a port in southern Tamil Nadu state. Eight crew members and 25 security guards were arrested after they failed to produce documents allowing them to carry the weapons, Foreign Secretary Sujata Singh told reporters Friday.

pmaitra

Many people are losing faith in the system and many believe they can never get justice. Sometimes I feel, as a foreigner, I have more rights than the locals. The cops know who pay more taxes, and whom to be lenient with. If you don't pay taxes, you are treated as an unwanted.

Also, the homeless are feeling the heat in Florida. The homeless are driven out of the cities, because, homeless people are not allowed in the cities (some cities). Now, if these people pitch a tent in the forest, again, they will be hounded by the cops, because pitching a tent in the forest is also not allowed.

I will tell you, in India, we are greeted with the not-so-pleasant sight of homeless people sleeping under trees, but I am glad they are not hounded out, and again hounded out.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Obama quietly reverses Hillary's 'get Modi' policy
"Hillary Clinton likes to operate through NGOs, which are given funding through indirect channels, and which target individuals and countries seen as less than respectful to her views on foreign and domestic policy in the target countries," a retired US official now based in Atlanta said. He claimed that "rather than US NGOs, (the former) Secretary of State Clinton favoured operating through organisations based in the Netherlands, Denmark and the Scandinavian countries, especially Norway" as these were outside the radar of big power politics. These NGOs were active in the agitation against the Russian nuclear power plant at Kudankulam in Tamil Nadu, with "funding coming mainly from a religious organisation based in Europe that has close links with France".
Obama quietly reverses Hillary's 'get Modi' policy
So that is how funds from Scandinavian countries and aid comes!

arpakola

us prison .. he finaly died...!!

Energon

DFI stars
Ambassador
Country flag

us prison .. he finaly died...!!
I'm not sure how this relates to the topic at hand. America's problem with incarceration isn't directly related to the Ferguson case.

Energon

DFI stars
Ambassador
Country flag
Many people are losing faith in the system and many believe they can never get justice. Sometimes I feel, as a foreigner, I have more rights than the locals. The cops know who pay more taxes, and whom to be lenient with. If you don't pay taxes, you are treated as an unwanted.
As far as the Black community in the United States is concerned, they've never really had much faith in the legal system to begin with; so there isn't any loss in faith per se. The only difference is that social media has made it significantly easier to convey the sense of disappointment and dissatisfaction to other members of the society who are otherwise removed from such injustices.
This problem has nothing to do with paying taxes. Blacks in the United States faced brutality and injustices at the hands of the police even when they were helping found the country with back breaking free labor (talk about 100% taxation). The root of the problem is the inherent hostility toward black people that is built into "the system" even when entitlement programs were put into place.

Also, the homeless are feeling the heat in Florida. The homeless are driven out of the cities, because, homeless people are not allowed in the cities (some cities). Now, if these people pitch a tent in the forest, again, they will be hounded by the cops, because pitching a tent in the forest is also not allowed.

I will tell you, in India, we are greeted with the not-so-pleasant sight of homeless people sleeping under trees, but I am glad they are not hounded out, and again hounded out.
As a healthcare professional I have to say that the impoverished populations in the United States are still significally better off than their unfortunate counterparts in the developing world, especially India.

PredictablyMalicious

Punjabi
Banned
Europe has also minorities, but no police shooting. This is the dark, dark side of America. No need to try to whitewash it.
I agree. In the US there is a vicious circle of police brutality and impunity. In Southern states, this is mixed in with prevalent racism in institutions and this combination lead to Ferguson. I think the true scale of this problem is not appreciated by most people. It's an epidemic at this point. I've read about so many incidents where the police was clearly in the wrong, and used excessive/lethal force but the cops walked scot free. In vast majority of the cases, the victims are minorities, mainly blacks and hispanics. American police needs major reforms and so does the justice system. If a cop can shoot an unarmed person in the face and get away with it, there is something gravely wrong with the justice system. I'm amazed that so many Americans don't really give a damn about the issue, and/or don't see a pattern of criminal wrongdoing by the police across the country. This is a problem that exists throughout the developed world but again the sheer scale of it in US distinguishes it from the rest of the pack.

Last edited:

MANT!

Should one wish to read the Federal government's take on this, the following link provides the entire Department of Justice Report

Document: Justice reports finds systematic discrimination by police in Ferguson - CNN.com

it appears it wasn't just about race..it was about revenue, fattening up the cities coffers on the backs of it's poorest citizens
excerpts from the report are included below..

Unlawful arrest has long-term consequences

Summer of 2012. A 32-year-old African-American was cooling off in his car after a basketball game in a public park.

What comes next is a series of civil rights violations described in the Justice Department report that resulted in the man losing his job as a federal contractor.

A Ferguson police officer demands the man's Social Security number and identification before accusing him of being a pedophile and ordering the man out of his car.

When the officer asked to search the man's car, the 32-year-old refused, invoking his constitutional right.

The response? The officer arrested the man at gunpoint, slapped him with eight charges, including for not wearing a seat belt, despite the fact that he was sitting in a parked car. The officer also cited him for "making a false declaration" because he gave his name as 'Mike' instead of 'Michael.'

"The man told us that, because of these charges, he lost his job as a contractor with the federal government that he had held for years," the report says.

2. People? More like, "sources of revenue"

The Justice Department also revealed that driving the uneven hand of the law in Ferguson was "the city's emphasis on revenue generation."

City officials repeatedly pushed the Ferguson police department to increase city revenue through ticketing, resulting in disproportionate targeting of African-Americans.

"Many officers appear to see some residents, especially those who live in Ferguson's predominantly African-American neighborhoods, less as constituents to be protected than as potential offenders and sources of revenue," the probe concluded.

African-Americans were disproportionately targeted by those practices, ticketed and cited for minor violations at a higher rate than white residents.

And African-Americans were almost exclusively on the receiving end of some violations: They accounted for 95% of "manner of walking in roadway" charges and 94% of "failure to comply" charges, for example.

READ: Justice report finds systematic discrimination against African-Americans in Ferguson

3. Racist emails

Ferguson's police officers and city court officials' practices didn't just happen to disproportionately target African-Americans.

"Rather, our investigation has revealed that these disparities occur, at least in part, because of unlawful bias against and stereotypes about African-Americans," the investigators concluded.

Part of that bias came across in emails shared around by police and court officials:

A November 2008 email read in part that President Barack Obama wouldn't likely be president for long because "what black man holds a steady job for four years." And then in April 2011, another email depicted Obama as a chimpanzee.
Another email joked that African-American women should use abortion to control crime.
May 2011 email: "An African-American woman in New Orleans was admitted into the hospital for a pregnancy termination. Two weeks later she received a check for $3,000. She phoned the hospital to ask who it was from. The hospital said: 'Crimestoppers.'"
A March 2010 email mockingly read: "I be so glad that dis be my last child support payment!" Month after month, year after year, all dose payments!"
October 2011: An email included a photo of a group of topless, dancing black women, seemingly in Africa, with the caption: "Michelle Obama's High School Reunion."
A December 2011 email included jokes playing on offensive Muslim stereotypes

"Our investigation has not revealed any indication that any officer or court clerk engaged in these communications was ever disciplined," the report reads.

All those who sent the emails are current Ferguson city officials.

READ: Justice Department announces Darren Wilson will not be charged

4. Didn't pay that parking ticket? Here's your arrest warrant

The Justice Department probe revealed racial discrimination by the police department, but also by the municipal court.

The city court issued more than 9,000 arrest warrants stemming from minor violations like parking and traffic tickets.

The city wasn't just focused on revenue through tickets, but the fines associated with late payment of fines and additional arrest fees, according to the report.

The investigators spoke with one woman who is still dealing with the repercussions of a 2007 parking violation.

More than seven years later, she's now been arrested twice because of the parking violation and has already paid $550 in fees stemming from the parking violation.

She still owes $541 ... on a ticket that originally amounted to a $151 fine.

"The woman, who experienced financial difficulties and periods of homelessness over several years, was charged with seven Failure to Appear offenses for missing court dates or fine payments on her parking tickets between 2007 and 2010," the report says.

5. Use of force

The Ferguson Police Department recorded 151 instances in which officers used force, documents that provide a litany of evidence of excessive use of force.

"Our finding that FPD force is routinely unreasonable and sometimes clearly punitive is drawn largely from FPD's documentation; that is, from officers' own words," the Justice Department explained.

The federal investigation based on those reports revealed that officers are "quick to escalate encounters with subjects they perceive to be disobeying their orders or arrest."

"They have come to rely on ECWs, specifically Tasers, where less force -- or not force at all -- would do," the report explains.

The officers' use of force in some cases had "no basis in law" while others were simply "punitive and retaliatory."

"In addition, FPD records suggest a tendency to use unnecessary force against vulnerable groups such as people with mental health conditions or cognitive disabilities, and juvenile students," the investigators found.

Tasers, or "ECWs--an electroshock weapon that disrupts a person's muscle control"

"FPD officers seem to regard ECWs as an all-purpose tool bearing no risk." - DOJ report

The Justice Department described officers' use of ECWs as "swift, at times automatic" and shows several examples, such as:

A Ferguson correctional officer fired an ECW at an African-American woman because she yelled an insult at the officer and wouldn't go to her cell. She had been arrested for driving while intoxicated. The officer said he used the Taser because she was "not doing as she was told."
And in September 2012, an officer stunned a handcuffed woman in the back of his squad car because she was using her legs to block him from closing the door.

Dogs

"Canine officers use dogs out of proportion to the threat posed by the people they encounter, leaving serious puncture wounds to nonviolent offenders, some of them children." - DOJ report

Every single time Ferguson police officers released a dog to bite an individual involved an African-American, according to the department's records.

In one incident, a police officer released a dog on a 14-year-old African-American boy who was found hiding in the closet of an abandoned house, "curled up in a ball," according to the police report. After the boy wouldn't show his hands and after being warned, the police officer released the dog, which bit the boy's arm. The boy told federal investigators he never hid in a closet, was never warned the dog would be released and was just waiting for his friends at the house. He said he was bitten in the ankle, thigh and arm.
In other incidents, the officers failed to warn suspects that they would release a dog.
In another instance, an officer deployed a dog on a fleeing suspect even though he had just patted down the suspect and knew he was not armed. Officers are only supposed to release a canine officer if they fear for their life or believe the suspect may be armed.

6. Shocking stats

- Less than 8% of Ferguson police officers are African-American.

- African-Americans accounted for 90% of officers' use of force.

- African-Americans weren't just more likely to be stopped, but more likely to be cited and arrested regardless of the reason for the stop. And they were more likely to receive multiple citations during a single incident.

- African-American drivers were twice as likely as white drivers to be searched during traffic stops, but 26% less likely to be found in possession of contraband.
I read the entire report and I'm actually shocked at the extent of the systemic problems, yet I'm not surprised.

I was detained by the Odessa Texas Police Department in early 2006..held outside a patrol car for 40 minutes in 6 degree Celsius weather, I was not allowed to wear my jacket, while the officer called for back-up, ran my driver's license on his computer, searched my car without asking my permission all because I was parked in a visitors parking slot at city hall at 5PM with out of state plates, I was never provided with a reason for the detention and when I complained to the ODPD office, I was simply told "Well get a lawyer and sue us". As I was leaving the state that week, I decided not to pursue the issue (I didn't want the hassle) I wish now I had.

BTW I'm a native born US citizen of Northern European decent. I was in my mid-40s and weighed about 150 lbs..(68 Kilos)

Stupid bunker mentality of certain American police departments creates this "You Will Comply" attitude instead of "Protect and Serve" and the US needs to gets this excised from it's police forces.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles