February trial for naval air defence missile

sathya

Country flag
India will conduct trials before February next year of a 70-km long-range surface-to-air missile or LR-SAM for the Indian Navy.

The missile will have the capability to intercept incoming enemy cruise missiles and combat jets targeting its warships at sea. India has a joint venture for this missile with Israel.

"This missile will be test-fired in January or February next year in Israel," senior officials of the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) told reporters here.

The missile will be ready for induction into the navy soon after the next series of tests.

After the first series of tests in Israel, the missile trials will also be held in India.

The Indian Army too is looking at a variant of this missile to meet its requirement for a medium-range surface-to-air air defence missile with a 70-km range.

Defcon 1

Country flag
wats the name of this missile??? never heard of it before...

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
This is Barak II.

Last test was conducted in May 2010. This test will judge its possible deployment on ADS-1. Icing of the cake would be C3I supplement.

SPIEZ

Country flag
wats the name of this missile??? never heard of it before...
BARAK II, BARAK 8, MR-SAM, it goes by many names. Also it will later be integrated to a land based defense missile system.

SHASH2K2

NRJ please elaborate ADS1 and C3I supplement. Looks like I am not in best of my mental states and unable to realize what they are . :(

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
DRDO tried to intercept cruise missile with Trishul missile, it failed and later on project was cancelled, IN then procured Barak Missile in emergency from Israel.

since IN wanted larger range Barak missile therefore we went for JV for Barak II.

Last edited by a moderator:

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
NRJ please elaborate ADS1 and C3I supplement. Looks like I am not in best of my mental states and unable to realize what they are . :(
ADS = Air Defense Ship = Indigenous Aircraft Carrier

C3I = Command, Control, Communications & Intelligence system = Computers connected over WAN with intelligent decision making softwares allowing accurate fire. Also consists of multi-sensor fusion software with far better data management & radar controls.

Defcon 1

Country flag
DRDO tried to intercept cruise missile with Trishul missile, it failed and later on project was cancelled, IN then procured Barak Missile in emergency from Israel.

since IN wanted larger range Barak missile therefore we went for JV for Barak II.
by JV do u mean like brahmos?????

because we did not form any JV company with Israel, not that I heard of......it looks more of a technology transfer to me...

Last edited by a moderator:
Country flag

because we did not form any JV company with Israel, not that I heard of......it looks more of a technology transfer to me...

India and Israel have had an agreement for Barak for years, the development of this missile has been going on for more than 2 years.

Defcon 1

Country flag
India and Israel have had an agreement for Barak for years, the development of this missile has been going on for more than 2 years.
thats means we won't have to pay any royalty fees for it....and we can export the missile too.....good news....

SHASH2K2

ADS = Air Defense Ship = Indigenous Aircraft Carrier

C3I = Command, Control, Communications & Intelligence system = Computers connected over WAN with intelligent decision making softwares allowing accurate fire. Also consists of multi-sensor fusion software with far better data management & radar controls.
C3i is very much needed for proper utilization of our defence systems . ANy Idea if its only for navy or for Armed forces and IAF as well ?

nitesh

Mob Control Manager

The pulse motor for this missile is built in India, the seeker tech is from Israel

utubekhiladi

The Preacher
Country flag
can somebody please provide technical details of this missile?

Defcon 1

Country flag
i have another question, the range of the missile is about 70 km, many air to surface missiles have higher range than that....then what will be the real application of this missile???? as an interceptor missile????

SHASH2K2

i have another question, the range of the missile is about 70 km, many air to surface missiles have higher range than that....then what will be the real application of this missile???? as an interceptor missile????
Its an air defence missile so its obvious it will be used to intercept incoming missilees or planes.

Defcon 1

Country flag
Its an air defence missile so its obvious it will be used to intercept incoming missilees or planes.
u didn't get my point, if the incoming plane has a missile which has a range higher than 70 km, the plane can fire it with coming into the range of the ship...hence, our missile will be of no use.....

SPIEZ

Country flag
Western missiles alone have higher range. Apart from the Standard Missile series though others have not been very successful. The track record of SM missiles, other than SM 3 has also been not up to the mark.

The Russians use lower range missiles however and they have their reputation.

IMO the 70 km is a long range. Only AAD has a similar range, and AAD was developed to intercept Ballistic Missiles.

Country flag
u didn't get my point, if the incoming plane has a missile which has a range higher than 70 km, the plane can fire it with coming into the range of the ship...hence, our missile will be of no use.....
This missile is a defensive missile you are trying to view it in an offensive role.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles