Fate of Shakil Afridi , who helped US Forces hunt Osama

thethinker

Country flag
US can secretly infiltrate and kill Osama - a powerful terrorist figure protected by Pak army but can't exfiltrate this guy - a harmless doctor out of Pakistan?

In all probability, CIA or any other covert agency would have assured him a safe passage from Pakistan during turning and using him as an "asset" but once his role was over, dumped him just like they do all the time.

cobra commando

Tharki regiment
Country flag
Lawyer for Pakistan doctor jailed over bin Laden hunt quits amid threats

ISLAMABAD: The lawyer defending a Pakistani doctor jailed after helping the CIA find Osama bin Laden is quitting the case because of death threats and alleged US interference in the trial, the lawyer said Saturday. "I am getting threats on a regular basis. Not only is my life in danger, my family is also in danger. I have therefore decided to quit," lawyer Samiullah Afridi said. Afridi is representing Dr Shakil Afridi, who was jailed for 33 years after helping the CIA find the al- Qaida chief. Bin Laden was hiding in Pakistan until US Navy Seals killed him in a 2011 raid. The raid - and Dr Afridi's jail sentence - severely strained relations between the United States and Pakistan, its nominal ally. Afridi's sentence was later overturned. He is still in jail and undergoing a retrial, but his lawyer said the US government was unduly interfering. "The government of America is putting a lot of pressure on the Pakistani government for the release of Dr. Shakil Afridi," he said. "Our mission and our wish also was to get him released, but our courts are free and they have to work according to a set procedure. I therefore did not like America's unjustified pressure." A US embassy spokeswoman was not immediately able to comment on the allegations. Relations between two allies were icy after the bin Laden raid. Pakistan's powerful army was furious that the United States had mounted a military operation on its soil without advance warning. In turn, some US leaders were suspicious that Pakistani security forces may have helped shield bin Laden.

Read more here:
Lawyer for Pakistan doctor jailed over bin Laden hunt quits amid threats - The Times of India

Global Defence

New threads

Articles