Farmer splurges Rs 17 lakh on car registration number

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
What economic slowdown? A farmer doing this!!

CHANDIGARH: He has fetish for number 1 - that's the only digit in his ancestral house and farm house address and his mobile numbers too end with it. Mohali-based businessman-cum-agriculturist Jagjit Singh Chahal, 40, also has a fleet of eight cars, all having the coveted 0001 registration number.

On Friday, he didn't mind shelling out Rs 17 lakh for his latest buy, a Rs 98-lakh SUV, Land Cruiser, at the auction for CH01AN by Registration and Licensing Authority (RLA), Chandigarh against the reserve price of Rs 25,000.

It all started in 1992 when he was just 20. At that time registration numbers were not auctioned and he took PB10K0001 for his Maruti 800 from Ludhiana. Since then, auctions or not, he always got the number 1.

"I wanted to purchase 0001 of the new series and I was willing to pay up to Rs 20 lakh. It's not just mine, even my family too loves number 1 and all our cellphone numbers also end with our favourite number," said a beaming Chahal.

"I participated in the first auction of the state in Ludhiana in 2006," Chahal said after affixing the new numberplate on his black Land Cruiser.

Now, he has over half a dozen luxury vehicles --- all 0001. Many of his employees too have 0001, even on their two-wheelers.

Chahal, who runs a tyre business in Chandigarh, has a pharmaceutical factory in Baddi and is an agriculturist, studied at Ludhiana, where his father was serving as a doctor.

http://m.timesofindia.com/PDATOI/articleshow/14163020.cms

pmaitra

I have one more suggestion:

Jagjit Singh Chahal should change his name to one of the following so that his name number also becomes 1. Right now, it is 9.
  • Jagjit Singha Chahal
  • Jagjiit Singh Chahal
  • Jagjit Singh Chahaal
  • Jagjit Sing Chahal

pmaitra

^^

Isn't agriculture a state subject? (Correct me if I am wrong)

If it is a state subject, then laws vary form state to state.

warriorextreme

Country flag
^^

Isn't agriculture a state subject? (Correct me if I am wrong)

If it is a state subject, then laws vary form state to state.
Agricultural Income « Indian Tax Guide

Agriculture income is exempt under the Indian Income Tax Act. This means that income earned from agricultural operations is not taxed. The reason for exemption of agriculture income from Central Taxation is that the Constitution gives exclusive power to make laws with respect to taxes on agricultural income to the State Legislature. However while computing tax on non-agricultural income agricultural income is also taken into consideration.

pmaitra

^^

Thank you. That was a very informative post.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
It is such fun to be a farmer.

No Income Tax and all the subsidies in the world!

Blackwater

What economic slowdown? A farmer doing this!!

CHANDIGARH: He has fetish for number 1 - that's the only digit in his ancestral house and farm house address and his mobile numbers too end with it. Mohali-based businessman-cum-agriculturist Jagjit Singh Chahal, 40, also has a fleet of eight cars, all having the coveted 0001 registration number.

On Friday, he didn't mind shelling out Rs 17 lakh for his latest buy, a Rs 98-lakh SUV, Land Cruiser, at the auction for CH01AN by Registration and Licensing Authority (RLA), Chandigarh against the reserve price of Rs 25,000.

It all started in 1992 when he was just 20. At that time registration numbers were not auctioned and he took PB10K0001 for his Maruti 800 from Ludhiana. Since then, auctions or not, he always got the number 1.

"I wanted to purchase 0001 of the new series and I was willing to pay up to Rs 20 lakh. It's not just mine, even my family too loves number 1 and all our cellphone numbers also end with our favourite number," said a beaming Chahal.

"I participated in the first auction of the state in Ludhiana in 2006," Chahal said after affixing the new numberplate on his black Land Cruiser.

Now, he has over half a dozen luxury vehicles --- all 0001. Many of his employees too have 0001, even on their two-wheelers.

Chahal, who runs a tyre business in Chandigarh, has a pharmaceutical factory in Baddi and is an agriculturist, studied at Ludhiana, where his father was serving as a doctor.

The Times of India on Mobile
1stly) he is not only agriculturist but also business man:p:p

2ndly) punjabis are known for their phokra panti:wave::wave:

3rdly) it is his money, he spend on number plate or on mujra, why should we concerned ..:mad::mad:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles