Fareed Zakaria suspended for plagiarism by Time, CNN

Cliff@sea

C'est la vie
Country flag
Fareed Zakaria suspended for plagiarism by Time, CNN

By Paul Farhi,

Time magazine and CNN suspended columnist and TV host Fareed Zakaria on Friday after he acknowledged that he plagiarized sections of another writer's article about gun control.

The Washington Post, which publishes a separate column by Zakaria on its op-ed page, said it was reviewing Zakaria's work for the newspaper.

Columnist and TV host Fareed Zakaria has apologized to Time and CNN for lifting sections of another writer's article on gun control.
Zakaria has apologized to CNN and Time over the column, which was published in Time's Aug. 20 issue. A shorter blog post that included some of the plagiarized material appeared on CNN.com. The column in question has not appeared in The Post.

Zakaria lifted several passages from an article by historian Jill Lepore that was published by the New Yorker magazine in April. In her article, Lepore wrote: "Laws banning the carrying of concealed weapons were passed in Kentucky and Louisiana in 1813, and other states soon followed. ."‰."‰. Similar laws were passed in Texas, Florida, and Oklahoma. As the governor of Texas explained in 1893, the 'mission of the concealed deadly weapon is murder.'"‰"

In his Time column, headlined "The Case for Gun Control," Zakaria uses this wording:

"Laws that banned the carrying of concealed weapons were passed in Kentucky and Louisiana in 1813. Other states soon followed. ."‰."‰. Similar laws were passed in Texas, Florida, and Oklahoma. As the governor of Texas (Texas!) explained in 1893, the 'mission of the concealed deadly weapon is murder.'"‰"

The all-but-identical language was first spotted by Cam Edwards, host of the NRA News radio program, and first published by NewsBusters.org.

In a brief interview Friday with The Post, Zakaria said he has apologized to Lepore. He had no further comment. Zakaria said in a statement earlier Friday that he made "a terrible mistake. ."‰."‰. It is a serious lapse and one that is entirely my fault."

Zakaria is a multimedia star. In addition to his Sunday-morning program on CNN, "Fareed Zakaria GPS," he writes regular columns for Time and The Post, as well as books about world affairs. CNN said that it won't air Zakaria's program Sunday and that it is reviewing his work. Time and CNN are owned by Time Warner.

Zakaria's next column for The Post is scheduled to appear Wednesday.

"Fareed Zakaria is a valued contributor," said The Post's editorial page editor, Fred Hiatt. "We've never had any reason to doubt the integrity of his work for us. Given his acknowledgment today, we intend to review his work with him."

In 2009, Zakaria was accused of using, without credit, material published by Atlantic magazine columnist Jeffrey Goldberg.

Fareed Zakaria suspended by CNN, Time for plagiarism - The Washington Post

Fareed Zakaria pays the price for plagiarising - NY Daily News

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
He should have kept his domain to South Asia. It is all he really knows. When you write about things you have little knowledge, you are going to mess up. I hope he can stay as a correspondent for Asia, but political and domestic views should be scrapped from his portfolio. We will see how forgiving the media is to plagiarism.

pmaitra

His articles and comments have always been like mincing the words. I always felt he was trying hard not to upset the US government, and he always takes the government line. Jon Stewart and Rachel Maddow are far more genuine.

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
His articles and comments have always been like mincing the words. I always felt he was trying hard not to upset the US government, and he always taken the government line. Jon Stewart and Rachel Maddow are far more genuine.
This.

You could see he knew the US line wasn't right always but still went along with it.

Known_Unknown

Devil's Advocate
His articles and comments have always been like mincing the words. I always felt he was trying hard not to upset the US government, and he always takes the government line. Jon Stewart and Rachel Maddow are far more genuine.
They can afford to be more "genuine" because they are white. If you're non-white, and a Muslim to boot, you cannot be too anti-establishment or you'll be written off as a Islamist sympathizer even if you're not one.

Cliff@sea

C'est la vie
Country flag
They can afford to be more "genuine" because they are white. If you're non-white, and a Muslim to boot, you cannot be too anti-establishment or you'll be written off as a Islamist sympathizer even if you're not one.
Point to be Noted .

pmaitra

True.

Jon Stewart is Jewish BTW, so I guess he can get by with a lot of things that Zakaria cannot.

pmaitra

aerokan

Country flag
I watch Jon Stewart and Colbert both daily. Though i like them, i wouldn't say they are genuine to be any fair than fox news guys. They do make fun of Obama in such a way that by the end of the program, one will end up thinking that all the issues are causing by Obama's opponents. Owning one's mistakes is sign of the leaders. Too bad Obama has to lean on the these people to get his govt moving.

Watching Rachel 'madcow' for just 5 minutes make my head hurt real bad. All these comedians follow the same selective satirical processes. Some more subtle than other. That's all there is to it.

As far as Fareed goes, he don't have much of an option other than to tread the govt line. I wish this stupid concept of plagiarism vanishes from this world. It came to a point that if u don't talk half an hour giving credit to the person from where one gets half a sentence they wish to reciprocate, it becomes a major crime.There is no better way to stop the spread of knowledge and information more subtly than 'plagiarism'

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
I liked Zakaria's articles and his show on CNN.

Why did he do this?

He did not have to do it because he is such a intelligent person.

So sad!

natarajan

Come to india ,we will have red carpet welcome and you will be one of our chief guest and also mingle with people like sagarika ghose ,burkha dutt

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
I liked Zakaria's articles and his show on CNN.

Why did he do this?

He did not have to do it because he is such a intelligent person.

So sad!
He might end up on CNN-IBN. :shocked:

Predator

rule number 1 : never write articles proposing gun bans. some gun lover after reading such articles will be so pissed at you that he will digitally hunt you down

Global Defence

New threads

Articles