F-35 Joint Strike Fighter

BON PLAN

-*-
Contributor
Country flag
Point taken on most things you said but what i meant with the Exocet missile is that, the PNS Agosta subs are armed with SM39
Indeed. Are these missiles operationnal again??? Even if yes, they are 20 years old at a minimum... the seeker is no more uo to date.
The Indian SM39 are the latest of all !

BON PLAN

-*-
Contributor
Country flag
Point taken on most things you said but what i meant with the Exocet missile is that, the PNS Agosta subs are armed with SM39
Indeed. Are these missiles operationnal again??? Even if yes, they are 20 years old at a minimum... the seeker is no more uo to date.
The Indian SM39 are the latest of all !

IndianHawk

Country flag
It can, for the airframe you can have the IR coating reduce the emissivity by 80-90% or simply shift the IR radiation into wavelength that can be absorbed more by the atmosphere

For the exhaust, serrated nozzle can reduce the exhaust signature
I was specifically talking about afterburner IR signature which is important for f35 as it can't supercruise in case of Arial engagement.

Why so much insistence on supercruise in stealth planes that everyone is developing a new engine to enable supercruise if IR signature can be suppressed so easily in practical real situations?
Again a critical question?

IndianHawk

Country flag
Plasma stealth won't come back, it wasn't even all that effective in the first place.
One common myth that often get repeated when people talk about plasma stealth is the idea that the plasma sheath will absorb all radar frequency, but that can't be any further from the truth. Plasma cloud always have a frequency that depends on temperature, you can estimate the plasma frequency with this table
I'm not saying it will absorb all radar frequency either . What I'm saying is that hypersonic missile will generate plasma shield when they move at higher Mach velocities . How effective will it be who knows? Can it be done away with? I'm not sure. Plasma will be there stealthy or not.

BON PLAN

-*-
Contributor
Country flag
Why so much insistence on supercruise in stealth planes that everyone is developing a new engine to enable supercruise if IR signature can be suppressed so easily in practical real situations?
Because the fuel consumption in AB is so huge !

IndianHawk

Country flag
Because the fuel consumption in AB is so huge !
That's one reason. F22 and su57 are very large birds with huge internal fuel quantity. Yet both developed new engines to enable supercruise. Because they both know that a fighter going on after burner is no longer stealth .

StealthFlanker

Country flag
I'm not saying it will absorb all radar frequency either . What I'm saying is that hypersonic missile will generate plasma shield when they move at higher Mach velocities . How effective will it be who knows? Can it be done away with? I'm not sure. Plasma will be there stealthy or not.
And all I am saying is that plasma sheath isn't a good way to make your missile or aircraft stealthy, there are several studies about plasma effect on the re entry vehicle you can look at.
I was specifically talking about afterburner IR signature which is important for f35 as it can't supercruise in case of Arial engagement.

If the aircraft is in low AB stage the exhaust plumes can be hide by the airframe from some directions.

Supercruise were designed because fuel consumption in AB, even low AB is very high. Even large bird like F-22 and Su-57 can't sustain high AB for significant amount of time.

BON PLAN

-*-
Contributor
Country flag
Just to remember : http://www.defense-aerospace.com/ar.../usaf’s-gen-hostage-speaks-again-on-f_35.html

Gen. Hostage, head of the US Air Force’s Air Combat Command, gained some fame earlier this year when he said that “If I do not keep that F-22 fleet viable, the F-35 fleet frankly will be irrelevant [as] the F-35 is not built as an air superiority platform. It needs the F-22.”

Hostage says that it takes eight F-35s to do what two F-22s can handle.

I’m going to have some F-35s doing air superiority, some doing those early phases of persistent attack, opening the holes, and again, the F-35 is not compelling unless it’s there in numbers,the general says.

BON PLAN

-*-
Contributor
Country flag
That's pretty damning for countries who only have f35 and no f22!!
Indeed. It will be in the near future the case of Netherlands, Belgium, Denmark, with no F22 or real air superiority fighter, and vey few F35.

USAF itself has few F22, more numerous but old F15, so in case of a hard conflict I don't see uncle Sam sending some of its so few and precious F22 outside the US country....

IndianHawk

Country flag
Indeed. It will be in the near future the case of Netherlands, Belgium, Denmark, with no F22 or real air superiority fighter, and vey few F35.

USAF itself has few F22, more numerous but old F15, so in case of a hard conflict I don't see uncle Sam sending some of its so few and precious F22 outside the US country....
Good thing for them is that Russia has no money or reason to attack Europe and china has no reach.

But it's much more concerning for Japan. Which is perhaps it wanted f22 so bad .

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
No AD system can stand against the combination of F-35 and -

AARGM-ER

JASSM-ER

Both of which can be carried internally in the F-35.

BON PLAN

-*-
Contributor
Country flag
No AD system can stand against the combination of F-35 and -

AARGM-ER

JASSM-ER

Both of which can be carried internally in the F-35.
Multistatic radars? in this case once a subsonic low agility missile is detected, it is easily destroyed.

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Multistatic radars? in this case once a subsonic low agility missile is detected, it is easily destroyed.
1. AARGM-ER's final dash speed is Mach 4, that's not subsonic;
2. JASSM-ER is an all-aspect stealth plus is too small as compared to F-35 or F-22, so goodluck trying to detect much more lock on it it; and,
3. Multistatic radars are surveillance radars. They are not fire-control radars. Thus while given some luck they can pick-out a very small stealthy subsonic cruise missile (very unlikely since JASSM-ER will hug the terrain) it needs to pass on the data to a monostatic fire-control radar which does not have the same coverage as the multistatic radar.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

Articles