F-35 in EU = dud

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Dutch Lawmakers Vote To Pull Out of F-35 Tests
By JOHN REED
Published: 21 May 2010 16:34
Print Print | Print Email

The Dutch parliament voted May 20 to pull out of the F-35 Joint Strike Fighter test program and cut its purchase of its first F-35, the Netherlands' Embassy in Washington confirmed.

But the decision will be reviewed by the new government that will be voted into office following the country's June 9 elections, Embassy spokesman Floris Van Hovell said. And after that, the parliament will have final sign off on the new government's choice.

The parliamentary vote flies in the face of the Dutch Ministry of Defense's stance that participating in F-35 testing and evaluation will keep costs down for the 85 production jets it plans to buy to replace its aging F-16s, Van Hovell said.

European news reports have cited fiscal constraints as the rationale behind the parliament's decision, he Hovell said.

http://www.defensenews.com/story.php?i=4637828&c=EUR&s=AIR

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
This follows the withdrawal of Denmark, Italy has yet to sign an agreement on production and the UK's fiscal deficit sees major cuts. Doesn't look like Europe wants the F-35.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
More than not wanting it, I think its a question of not being able to afford it. Europe will start to lag behind if it doesn't continue to participate in the F-35 program. Yes there has been a huge time and cost overruns, but if europe was to start its own 5th gen fighter now, it will take even longer and maybe costlier.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
More than not wanting it, I think its a question of not being able to afford it. Europe will start to lag behind if it doesn't continue to participate in the F-35 program. Yes there has been a huge time and cost overruns, but if europe was to start its own 5th gen fighter now, it will take even longer and maybe costlier.
The question isn't can we afford it, the question is do we need it. Dassault is developing the NEURON stealth UCAV which will serve the same strike purpose as the F-35. With the Meteor, Neuron, and AESA equipped LO fighters is it really necessary? I don't think so and neither does France. An export PAK FA will not be able to hide from our radars/OFS and we will never fight the F-22. F-35 "can't turn, can't climb, and can't run."

If EADs decided to build a 5th generation fighter, it would not be as long as the Russian process. Thales already has the avionics and Rolls Royce the 5th generation engine design to supply it. The guts are already here, and stealth testing equipment already in place. All that is needed is the will and funding, but the F-35 is turning out to be a costly nightmare, exports would be the main concern and doesn't even look like the US is making much headway. Especially not with so many cancelled orders.

gogbot

Well , i always thought that everyone getting on the F-35 , was a bit short sighted

It kind of diminished the variety of 5th gen aircraft.

But as long as the big European nations still want the F-35 , there wont be de much difference in the current order of things

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Well , i always thought that everyone getting on the F-35 , was a bit short sighted

It kind of diminished the variety of 5th gen aircraft.

But as long as the big European nations still want the F-35 , there wont be de much difference in the current order of things
Just look at the cuts... Dutch order is 85 cancelled, Denmark is 48, Italy will only buy for the navy is 100, UK is slashing the order by 88. That is the loss of 321 orders 15% of the total order book. That is going to drive procurement costs. The USN is talking about scuttling their purchase, relations with Turkey are bad and Israel is ready to walk away. The flyaway price will be so high, it won't be exportable.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles