"F-22 raptor " to India ?

manutdfan

There are fire and forget missiles. These missiles have on-board seekers (IRST) which home in on targets. US's much acclaimed anti-ship Harpoon is one such. Back home we have Nag anti-tank missile with own guidance. Pilot intervention of fire-&-forget missile is possible upto some distance ( See 'Know your Rafale' thread, May 22,my discussion with @Zebra) which is called re-targetting.
hey i originally posted something else in reply which i felt was insulting and demeaning. so i took it down.

i just want to say that you're mixing up 2 different concepts-
Infrared homing guidance system Vs Infra-red search and track (IRST)
read up about them on wikipedia and clear up your basic concepts.

hint: IRST are pods mounted on aircrafts just above the nose radome. they cannot be mounted on missiles. they are passive sensors not guidance systems.

Last edited:

sasum

Atheist but not Communists.
hint: IRST are pods mounted on aircrafts just above the nose radome. they cannot be mounted on missiles. they are passive sensors not guidance systems.
Both IRST and IR homing are same. Both track the target from its heat signature. Both are passive sensors meaning they do not emit any signal unlike AESA radars or DIRCM.
IR sensor on missile is mounted on nose, (see the image of Nag) or they can be gimbal mounted to look sideways..these kind called FLIR (Forward looking IR). What you are referring to as 'just above nose radome' is actually FLIR on an aircraft. Aircraft IRST has other IR sensors planted around the fuselage. See image below. All the data aquired are analysed in a central computer as 'situational awareness' package and form part of EWS.
depicting-f-35-eodas.jpg

800px-Nag_missile_closeup.JPG

Last edited:

manutdfan

Both IRST and IR homing are same. Both track the target from its heat signature. Both are passive sensors meaning they do not emit any signal unlike AESA radars or DIRCM.
IR sensor on missile is mounted on nose, (see the image of Nag) or they can be gimbal mounted to look sideways..these kind called FLIR (Forward looking IR). What you are referring to as 'just above nose radome' is actually FLIR on an aircraft. Aircraft IRST has other IR sensors planted around the fuselage. See image below. All the data aquired are analysed in a central computer as 'situational awareness' package and form part of EWS.
View attachment 8809
View attachment 8810
yeah good luck with that! looks like you've made up your mind already.

sasum

yeah good luck with that! looks like you've made up your mind already.
If you have any reservation, you can debate and counter me. I never make any post to win an argument nor DFI gives any prize to the winner. :)

manutdfan

If you have any reservation, you can debate and counter me. I never make any post to win an argument nor DFI gives any prize to the winner. :)
no dude thanks but i shall pass your kind offer. i still suggest in good faith to retrospect and rationalize stuff before further elaborating technical stuff. no one's an expert here else he/she would not be here in the first place.

blue marlin

"Muilenburg also flagged the F-22 Raptor, a fifth-generation fighter jointly developed with Lockheed Martin Corp, as a future sales prospect for India, calling it "an area of future investment for which we are interested".

http://www.reuters.com/article/india-boeing-superhornet-idUSKCN0VC0IB

^will they sell their top secret plane to India ?? USA has been reluctant to provide the F-22 even to allies like Japan , Israel & Britain .

what is the meaning of "Idea of future investment " ? possibility of make in India ??

and we need this plane or Pak-fa is sufficient for us ?

is it just an American strategy to sell F-18 ??
f22's to india? no chance not even israel managed to get the f22

Bornubus

Chodi Bhakt & BJPig Hunter
Only 10 will tilt the balance of Power in Asia.

Fuck F 22, even Blackjacks and T 22 are enough for Paki's and Chinese.

sasum

rationalize stuff before further elaborating technical stuff.
Please go ahead and make a clean breast of yourself. No philosophy here. This is a bulletin board; not only members but 100s of guests also read various posts. Somebody or other surely will engage with me if they disagree.
As for being an expert, I am not propounding any new theory. All these are in public domain. Like in a class of students, each one posses the same study matetial; some care to study, others don't. Same thing happening here.

manutdfan

Please go ahead and make a clean breast of yourself. No philosophy here. This is a bulletin board; not only members but 100s of guests also read various posts. Somebody or other surely will engage with me if they disagree.
As for being an expert, I am not propounding any new theory. All these are in public domain. Like in a class of students, each one posses the same study matetial; some care to study, others don't. Same thing happening here.
oh! you're being very kind. i don't think i've got anything to prove and neither is it worth the time. good luck with you analysis though :yo:

curryman

f22's to india? no chance not even israel managed to get the f22
Considering that the F-22 production line has closed, not even the USAF wants any more of the aircraft. Yes, Congress is making noises about re-opening the production line, but US military is keen on F-35, at the moment.

And what about India's investing in Russia's PAK-FA program? Is still on the cards? If so, why even look at the F-22?

Global Defence

New threads

Articles