F-18 for India ?

Snowcat

Country flag
India may have to focus massively on its Army. I think very large very expensive fighter purchases may not happen as desired by many enthusiasts. Ultimately Army will be critical in large scale war; far more than Air Force.

Shortcuts are necessary. India is negotiating for 21 Mig-29 with Russia. IAF should look for other deals where price is within budget.

Sometimes second hand equipment is good too. And weapons matter as much as the firing platform as proved on Feb 27. My feeling is that even an old F-15 is better than Su-30 despite its large RCS; due to better offensive capability.
Army can't do much without air superiority. IAF at present is fine to deal with pakis but not so much with China.
Su 30 MKI might have been a good aircraft for the past , but not so much in the present. Outdated radar , massive radar cross section , lack of countermeasures. India needs the super sukhoi upgrade at all costs, and believe me Russia is gonna make India bleed money for it.

Kay

Country flag
Army can't do much without air superiority. IAF at present is fine to deal with pakis but not so much with China.
Su 30 MKI might have been a good aircraft for the past , but not so much in the present. Outdated radar , massive radar cross section , lack of countermeasures. India needs the super sukhoi upgrade at all costs, and believe me Russia is gonna make India bleed money for it.
Sukhois are our mainstay - so have to upgrade them no matter what.
Radars and avionics can be procured from Israel. Engines will be Russian AL41. Asraam will be mated to the platform soon, as well as Astra missiles, and hopefully SFDR as well.

wairoa

Country flag
No users of the F-18 have to operate in anywhere like the Himalayas. India has an incredible diversity in operating areas. The F-18 is a fine plane, but if it has difficulty operating in cold weather in the Himalyas it is not what India needs.

Indrajit

Country flag
No users of the F-18 have to operate in anywhere like the Himalayas. India has an incredible diversity in operating areas. The F-18 is a fine plane, but if it has difficulty operating in cold weather in the Himalyas it is not what India needs.
Why do you assume it has difficulty? Is it because of the reported sub par performance during the trials? Boeing offered to use an upgraded engiine but was told that wasnt allowed. I doubt it will be an issue now.

Also it cant be the cold weather, parts of the US have similar weather. It was the altitude which was an issue.

wairoa

Country flag
Why do you assume it has difficulty? Is it because of the reported sub par performance during the trials? Boeing offered to use an upgraded engiine but was told that wasnt allowed. I doubt it will be an issue now.

Also it cant be the cold weather, parts of the US have similar weather. It was the altitude which was an issue.
I am speaking hypothetically. It was primarily the altitude I was thinking of. I don't of any nation that uses the hornet that is forced to operate at that altitude. I admit my knowledge of the Himalayas is weak.

Has the Hornet with the upgraded engine undergone testing again in India?

Indrajit

Country flag
I am speaking hypothetically. It was primarily the altitude I was thinking of. I don't of any nation that uses the hornet that is forced to operate at that altitude. I admit my knowledge of the Himalayas is weak.

Has the Hornet with the upgraded engine undergone testing again in India?
Not tested again but the upgraded engine should have the issue sorted. I’m sure they will get that opportunity to test soon.

BON PLAN

-*-
Contributor
Country flag
A very recent leak about the latest swiss eval between Gripen, EF, Rafale, F35 and SH18 :

The Super Hornet SH18 was found by the evaluators as less agile and more anemic than the legacy F18...

The problem is that Swiss Air Force expressively need a more dynamic plane than the F18 currently in the force. The main goal of the futur swiss fighter is the air to air missions, with an emphasis on fast interception.

Add to that the break down of one SH18 during the 2 weeks trial.... I'm afraid the game is over for SH18 in Switzerland.

Bhurki

A very recent leak about the latest swiss eval between Gripen, EF, Rafale, F35 and SH18 :

The Super Hornet SH18 was found by the evaluators as less agile and more anemic than the legacy F18...

The problem is that Swiss Air Force expressively need a more dynamic plane than the F18 currently in the force. The main goal of the futur swiss fighter is the air to air missions, with an emphasis on fast interception.

Add to that the break down of one SH18 during the 2 weeks trial.... I'm afraid the game is over for SH18 in Switzerland.
Are they against the f35 bandwagon?
Sure, its a bit slower than required for direct interception but considering switzerland's geography, a LO platform with bvr amraam should suffice.

BON PLAN

-*-
Contributor
Country flag
Are they against the f35 bandwagon?
Sure, its a bit slower than required for direct interception but considering switzerland's geography, a LO platform with bvr amraam should suffice.
The sole feed back about F35 in switzerland was that the swiss evaluators were surprised to see 4 planes coming when all the others came by 2.
No other leak for the moment.

BON PLAN

-*-
Contributor
Country flag
What does that mean?..
I didnt understand that...
It means LM came this 4 fighters when the others supplier need only two.
Why? Maybe the high risk of break down. Or a so slow moving plane that they need 2 jets to did the job of one SH18 or Gripen or Rafale or EF2000.
I don't know.
But it left a bad impress on Swiss evaluators.

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
Chutiyas are trying to sell us legacy fighters just as they stop production for themselves.
Bye-Bye to Super Hornet: US Navy Cuts F/A-18E/F Production to Develop its Sixth Generation Combat Aircraft
Dario LeoneFeb 11, 20200

Previously known as F/A-XX, the Next Generation Air Dominance (NGAD) is aimed to replace the payload capacity of the F/A-18E/F Super Hornets on carrier decks.

The US Navy revealed in its Fiscal Year 2021 budget request that wants to cut production of the F/A-18E/F Super Hornet to boost the development of its long-gestating next-generation carrier-based fighter program.

According to USNI News, next year’s order of two dozen F/A-18E/F Super Hornet strike fighters would be the last on the books for the service under this plan. In 2019, Boeing won a $4-billion multi-year contract to buy 78 Super Hornets through FY 2021.

According to the justification in the documents, the money the Navy for planned a subsequent multiyear buy of 36 Super Hornets from FY 2022 to 2024 would be rerouted to “accelerated development of Next Generation Air Dominance (NGAD) and other key aviation wholeness investments.”

The cut of the F/A-18E/Fs past FY 2021 is estimated to route $4.5 billion over the five-year horizon of the Future Years Defense Plan (FYDP) to the new aviation effort.

“The decision to cease F/A-18 procurement after FY 2021 ensures the Carrier Air Wing will maintain capable strike fighter capacity to pace the most stressing threats through the 2030s,” read the Navy documents.

Previously known as F/A-XX, the NGAD is aimed to replace the payload capacity of the F/A-18E/F Super Hornets on carrier decks as the incoming F-35C Lighting II Joint Strike Fighter brings a stealthy fighter to the air wing. The program has had fits and starts over the last decade as the service has grappled with shaping the future of the air wing.

Chief of Naval Operations Admiral Mike Gilday said on Dec. 5, 2019 that the US Navy is still working on the question of what the next combat aircraft after the F-35C will be, or even if it will be launched from an aircraft carrier.

This print is available in multiple sizes from AircraftProfilePrints.com – CLICK HERE TO GET YOURS. F-35C Lightning II VFA-125 Rough Raiders, NJ406, 169160 / 2018
“I do think we need an aviation combatant, but what the aviation combatant of the future looks like? I don’t know yet. I think there’s going to be a requirement to continue to deliver a seaborne launched vehicle through the air that’ll deliver an effect downrange,” Gilday said at US Naval Institute’s Defense Forum Washington conference. “I do think that that will likely be a mix of manned and unmanned. The platform which they launch from? I’m not sure what that’s going to look like.”

Noteworthy after years of churn, the US Navy is in the midst of a broad evaluation of its fleet design and its future capabilities which will shape the service’s force structure.

The service in fact has been questioned for not developing a longer-range air wing to keep up with the increased range of Chinese anti-ship ballistic missiles that put the multi-billion capital ships at risk.

In 2019, a report from the Center for Strategic and Budgetary Assessments said, in order for a future carrier air wing to be effective in a major conflict with China, it would need to field a combatant that could fly sustained combat air patrols up to 1,000 nautical miles from the carrier. That’s 400 nautical miles beyond the effective combat radius of the F-35C and 500 nautical miles more than a current F/A-18E/F Super Hornet.

It’s unclear if NGAD will be manned, unmanned or some combination of both. While former Navy Secretary Ray Mabus said in 2015 that the F-35C would be the last manned fighter the service would buy, the service has been lukewarm in introducing unmanned carrier aircraft into the air wing.

Last year in fact Navy leaders said they weren’t working on development of a new unmanned carrier aircraft a claim confirmed by the fact that the service abandoned a planned unmanned, low-observable strike aircraft program in favor of the simpler MQ-25A Stingray unarmed tanker.

IndianHawk

Country flag
In 2019, a report from the Center for Strategic and Budgetary Assessments said, in order for a future carrier air wing to be effective in a major conflict with China, it would need to field a combatant that could fly sustained combat air patrols up to 1,000 nautical miles from the carrier. That’s 400 nautical miles beyond the effective combat radius of the F-35C and 500 nautical miles more than a current F/A-18E/F Super Hornet.

Here it is in words of American themselves. And yet some American fanboys were debating me how their carrier will be able to strike India with impunity. Lol lol.

Unless American can develop 1000miles range fighter in time (before hypersonic missile cross that range) their carriers are useless against major missile powers. Still good for Iran / Iraq though.
Lol.

Foxbat

Country flag
For people pushing for the F/A-18 for the Indian Air Force or any other US fighters:

Malaysian Prime Minister Mahathir Claims American Fighters Are Only Useful for Airshows - Why F-18s Can’t Fight Without Washington’s Permission

"Mahathir noted regarding the terms imposed by the U.S. on clients for its fighter aircraft that the source codes for the jets were not provided, meaning: “we cannot program the plane for any attacks against other countries without getting the programming done by Americans. So although the planes are very good, in terms of performance very powerful engines, but we cannot program the plane by ourselves. You have to refer to the United States for putting the program for any raid on foreign countries for example. So our planes were costly. We have them. We can fly them at airshows. But we cannot use them to fight any other country because we don’t get the source code.”

No wonder Pakistanis always have to deny their F-16s were used or shot down !

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles