Range Winner: Sukhoi
Altitude Winner: Sukhoi
Rate of Climb Winner: Sukhoi
Max. Speed Winner: Sukhoi
Takeoff Field Length Winner: Boeing
Landing Field Length Winner: Sukhoi
Thrust per Engine Winner: Boeing
Payload Winner: Sukhoi

F-18 - $55 million. SU-35 $40-$60 million.

garg_bharat

Country flag
@abingdonboy, we do not know yet what Americans are offering. You need to factor in that a lot has happened in the last few months. The realities have changed.

We need to wait for a formal announcement.

Zebra

Country flag
Why not the SU-35?.....................
BCZ it comes with traditional Russian issues. Few of them as below....

* Being a Russian product it has chance of becoming of "50% wali item". One of the serious threat to India's security concern.
When ever they try to get money out of any deal, it always kept India weak.

* More Russian products in our defence, it also drag India towards leftist ideology.
No good for India , again.

* India was one of the major buyer of Russian products.
And still we end up being a buyer after many years.
Not any more this drama.

* Russian products are not cheap, as their supporters claim.

............................... I hope this will do for time being....!

charlie

Country flag
The Americans aren't offering ANY meaningful ToT/industrial benefits. The French offer is FAR more attractive and the Rafale is the better plane with long road map ahead- the F-18 is dead.
Good Luck in getting TOT from a french company, there is a chance that US companies might give TOT up to a level, but French ya right. I have seen few agreement in last few month where defence contractor keep loop holes just in case. I guess French are ahead in this game.

In a documentary I saw a Belgium guy(or some european guy) mocking the French Dassault on TOT offered if they chose Mirage.

garg_bharat

Country flag
The American deal will come with 50% real offsets, that is the fighter will have a local value addition of 50%. Bulk of it will be engine.

The Rafale deal happened in 30% offsets era. Even that was not honoured by French.

However as I said, proof of the pudding is in eating. Let them finalize the deals. We shall know in due course.

charlie

Country flag
The American deal will come with 50% real offsets, that is the fighter will have a local value addition of 50%. Bulk of it will be engine.

The Rafale deal happened in 30% offsets era. Even that was not honoured by French.

However as I said, proof of the pudding is in eating. Let them finalize the deals. We shall know in due course.
Read the mmrca rfp, it clearly mention 50% offset no matter who is the winner. Though the norm was 30% at that time.

BON PLAN

-*-
Contributor
Country flag
Good Luck in getting TOT from a french company, there is a chance that US companies might give TOT up to a level, but French ya right. I have seen few agreement in last few month where defence contractor keep loop holes just in case. I guess French are ahead in this game.

In a documentary I saw a Belgium guy(or some european guy) mocking the French Dassault on TOT offered if they chose Mirage.
Dassault owned a subsidiary in Belgium, and they produced parts of Mirage in it !
US only gave crumb as ToT. style "produced this left landing gear door" or "that right leading edge"....

BON PLAN

-*-
Contributor
Country flag

You are totally wrong. Dassault agree for 50% offset.
Stop reading tabloid Bro.

BON PLAN

-*-
Contributor
Country flag
I still feel f18 hornet advance can fill the gap of mmrca in record time and tech in better price
it's an anemic fighter. A king of super Tornado, with BVR capacity.
Just see its dry weight and load capacity vs Rafale one.... you'll see the difference between a normal fighter and a top class one.

Zebra

Country flag

The biggest benefit is strategic, when you go with US.

Zebra

Country flag
The biggest threat is to loose independance.

UAE can't use freely its F16'60.... as Uncle SAM has the keys in his pocket (a war not agreed by US ? => no more support. It's as simple as that).
Sir, does French lost their independence........?

They also use C-130.

Well, its a US product anyway.

And getting from France has its own issues.

Remember Falkland war.........!

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

Articles