Exclusive: Tata to unveil India's first indigenous 155 mm howitzer

bhramos

Country flag

The Tata Group's strategic electronics division (Tata Power SED) revealed today its truck-mounted 155mm howitzer gun, a weapon system that will bid for an Indian Army requirement for 814 mounted gun systems. These photo, the first of the new gun, are courtesy my network colleague Sandeep Unnithan, senior editor at INDIA TODAY magazine.

Livefist: Tata Reveals 155mm Howitzer Gun

Agantrope

Let me fill ya in DENEL got banned because of irregularities in the Anti-Material Rifle deal which was to be an outright purchase of the NTW-20 to be followed by licensed production of the same gun with the OFB, NOT because of any irregularities with howitzers. however given the myopic nature of our esteemed decision makers we ended up banning any PSU or other government owned entity from having any collaboration with any of DENEL's arms. This ban Thankfully did not extend to the Private sector provided that the Indian Partner was not found guilty of any wrongdoing and was the majority owber in a JV. this was the loophole explioted by TATA for the Howitzer development.
And also the Ashok Leyland -Rheinmetall partnership. Rheinmetall is banned by the GOI, same clauses as above.
In India it is very difficult to mess with business families like Tatas, Ambanis, Mahindras...

It is good start, but we are not sure whether this piece will get or not, if this gets in, then there are more on the way and i am sure PSU will block these things with last soul :D

JBH22

The Tata Group's strategic electronics division (Tata Power SED) revealed today its truck-mounted 155mm howitzer gun, a weapon system that will bid for an Indian Army requirement for 814 mounted gun systems. These photo, the first of the new gun, are courtesy my network colleague Sandeep Unnithan, senior editor at INDIA TODAY magazine.

Livefist: Tata Reveals 155mm Howitzer Gun
What's the story behind these stand its a bit awkward compared to usual vertical one I usually see.

Any Idea how it looks when folded?

sathya

Country flag
why there is a person sitting behind the gun ?

do we have shoot or load from there ?

i thought it ll be automatic .. fired from inside cabin.

looks like it will take time to prep for firing..

p2prada

I think India should look East and towards Singapore.

Singapore is critical to India because of the Straits of Malacca.

If we dither, then we will lose Singapore like we are losing Sri Lanka and Maldives!
Singapore is firmly within the American sphere of influence. They won't sway towards China, regardless of Chinese ambitions. As long as American interests coincide with ours, we will have no issues with Singapore.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
What's the story behind these stand its a bit awkward compared to usual vertical one I usually see.

Any Idea how it looks when folded?
If you are meaning those heavy weights that look like legs. they are the ones which are clamped to the ground so that the gun does not jump because of the recoil.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Singapore is firmly within the American sphere of influence. They won't sway towards China, regardless of Chinese ambitions. As long as American interests coincide with ours, we will have no issues with Singapore.
The Singapore constitution is heavily weighed towards the Chinese.

When I was in Singapore, the local Chinese were very favourable to China and its rise.

Hence, my conern.

I have also studied the Han arrogance of being somewhat of a 'superior' race and they are very clannish!

The mixed breed amongst the Chinese are better people for a mixed equation.

The Anglo Chinese are good people was my experience, more broadminded than the Han.

What I found most astonishing is that the Han Chinese even if millionaires are bloody stingy and miserly. They will have a fleet of Mercedez, BMWs etc in front of their mansions but inside their palatial homes, it is bare!

More of outward show and flaunting wealth for others to see,but frugal within!

That is the mindset you see out here where the Chinese posters flaunt 'wonders' and riches and the same rich still wear pants for children where they can defecate in public without a quirk on their conscience!

Last edited:

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador

Its a manual system but with a crane just like bofors FH-77..

Last edited by a moderator:

JBH22

If you are meaning those heavy weights that look like legs. they are the ones which are clamped to the ground so that the gun does not jump because of the recoil.
That i know but my question was more like how they arrived at this shaped usually its more like poles.

sathya

Country flag
it will allow crew to easily climb and operate ..

btw range is good 40- 60kms approx , rounds also like 27, for denel t5 52.

uss

Once L&T , Kalyani Group & Mahindra come up with their guns, IA & MoD must give them a fair chance. if we can wait for PSUs who are not able deliver anything even after investing public money where as these pvt. sector who are able to field their own solution based on their own money. it would not be fair at all towards their effort. Let the OFB to contest with them & only the best should be awarded.

This will definitely give confidence to DRDO to look beyond the PSUs. Competition will definitely bring the best out of them.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles