Exclusive: Tata to unveil India's first indigenous 155 mm howitzer

Blackwater

BTW i know its just a TATA logo,who is behind it????:shocked::shocked:

Is this the best way to present banned defence companies product in India.:sad::sad::wave::wave:

sesha_maruthi27

Country flag
The howitzer is awesome, but will the MoD purchase it and will the DRDO agree..........

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Sir,

FDI, it can 't be.

Here is what must be happening. TATA has got access to technology here, the company giving access to the technology would have already walked away with handsome money in exchange of the tech. Further, each piece of this howitzer sold to the IA, the co. transferring tech would have a cut and quite possible for now the deal would have pretty much benefited the company which is providing the tech.

For TATA, they now have access to the tech which they can call their own, they can further develop the tech over a period of time, rights to sell this product under their brand name in the Indian market, and quite possible some sort of a back door nod from the MoD that they might get "x" number of order, else it looks at little pointless as to why would someone risk so much investment.

TATAs should stand to benefit if they get "x" number of order, a break-even should definitely happen and I am not expecting the prices to drop significantly, at least for the initial orders, and since they would have sneaked in into the IA market, they would definitely stand to gain more such orders in the long run. For India and the IA, the supplier changes, from foreign shores, it moves to a supplier within India, a more reliable option at the time of war, I would imagine.
I was just ribbing about it being FDI.

Actually, if the DRDO and the OFB cannot produce an artillery piece, I find no reason why we should keep the Army denuded of such weapon systems when the neighbourhood is volatile and unpredictable.

I also fail to understand why the Defence Ministry continue to keep companies which has supplied us proven weapon systems blacklisted in perpetuity, even when the Company changes ownership, and in the bargain still keeps the Army denuded of the weapon system to the detriment of the defence preparedness.

This attitude is more surprising when compared with the case where the GOI not only has allowed the successor company to Union Carbide, which killed lakhs of Indians and have court cases, to trade in India and sell GM seeds, which have proven to be dud, but also the Govt also actively promotes such a company!

If TATA is filling in, then at least the Indian Army will be operationally ready to a greater degree than previously when the GOI was moribund and crippled.

Last edited:

AshutoshNSingh

Exclusive: Tata to unveil India's first indigenous 155 mm Bofors-type howitzer

The Tata group is to unveil India's first indigenously developed 155 mm howitzer in New Delhi on Monday.

The 155/52 mm howitzer is mounted on an eight-wheeled Tata truck for enhanced mobility. The gun was developed by its defence subsidiary Tata Power Strategic Electronics Division (SED) this year. The 'mounted gun system' can fire a six-round salvo on a target 40 km away in less than three minutes.
The truck-mounted howitzer will be displayed at an army seminar at the Maneckshaw centre tomorrow. The rollout comes even as the Indian Army and the Ministry of Defence have struggled to import howitzers over the past 25 years.

The Army acquired its last howitzers over 25 years ago, 410 FH-77B howitzers from AB Bofors of Sweden in 1987. Since then, the army's howitzer arsenal has been critically depleted.

Tata Power SED, the defence arm of the $ 100 billion Tata group, began work on its 'Mounted Gun Project' over two years ago. The prototype gun was rolled out of the Tata Power SED facility in Bangalore's electronic city this October. It will spearhead the group's bid for the Army's requirement for 814 mounted gun systems for Rs.8500 crore.

The Tata gun is India's first new howitzer since its purchase of Bofors guns. The subsequent bribery scandal torpedoed the acquisition of additional howitzers from Sweden.

The Bofors howitzers performed spectacularly in the Kargil conflict of 1999. The Indian Army wants to buy over 2200 such howitzers in five different categories but has been unable to do so because of other bribery scandals involving firms like Rheinmetall, Singapore Technologies Kinetics, Soltam and Denel.

Read more at: Exclusive: Tata to unveil India's first indigenous 155 mm Bofors-type howitzer : North, News - India Today
Indigenously assembled but foreign manufactured.
So blacklisted Denel plans to sell its gun technology to our army through Tata. Great!

Rage

DFI TEAM
L&T are cooking something similar with French..
I've heard the same thing too. Any idea who the French guys are?

They already have a joint venture with EADS's Cassidian for defence electronics.

bengalraider

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
Okie guys did some asking around and it seems like this gun was made in India( yes you read that right) the molds and other forging equipment was brought over from SA and was forged here at home under the guidance of DENEL engineers as well as the local SDRE TATA team. the barrel and much of the other metal bits can be made in bulk here now, what is still being imported is the fire control mechanism . though much of that has already been indigenised by TATA SED.
more as and when i can ferret stuff out.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Okie guys did some asking around and it seems like this gun was made in India( yes you read that right) the molds and other forging equipment was brought over from SA and was forged here at home under the guidance of DENEL engineers as well as the local SDRE TATA team. the barrel and much of the other metal bits can be made in bulk here now, what is still being imported is the fire control mechanism . though much of that has already been indigenised by TATA SED.
Fantastic!
TATA SED does a great job with making launchers etc. I am sure they will indigenize pretty rapidly and give the Indian Armed forces a good and a much needed gun.

pankaj nema

Country flag
So that means when DENEL was BANNED
it was actually a FAKE news

And behind the scenes this Collabration and cooperation was going on with MOD 's blessings :thumb:

Payeng

Daku Mongol Singh
It is good progress for India inc, specially TATA but TATA being a Automotive Premiere Co. I expect them to bring home key technologies related to Automotive sector like centrally tyre pressure control system and independent all wheel drive system, that would make be more happier.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles