Exclusive: Made in India rifles to replace INSAS

Blackwater

yeah Allah Hindustand ko kufuro se bacha.

will that made in india rifle will met same fate as LCA,ARJUN,AKASH and SITARA??:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

jouni

My two cents. The fit an finish of the INSAS 1B1 is just about the same as the fit and finish of the Finnish copy of the AKM, or the L-85.

Suggestions for improvement are welcome, but from those who are actually capable of doing things better than us. ;)
Well...Israeli made Galil assault rifles were made on machinery and by documentation bought from Valmet. I have actually spent a year with then 20 years old RK which is now over forty years old and I bet still feels like new and as accurate. The same rifle will serve 80 years, maybe plastic parts replaced.

Last edited:

pmaitra

Well...Israeli made Galil assault rifles were made on machinery and by documentation bought from Valmet. I have actually spent a year with then 20 years old RK which is now over forty years old and I bet still feels like new and as accurate. The same rifle will serve 80 years, maybe plastic parts replaced.
There are quite a few things you are talking about:
  • Fit and Finish
  • Bad Metalwork
  • Accuracy

Fit and Finish of INSAS has improved over the years. I have compared the pictures of INSAS 1B1 and that of the Finnish Kalashnikov copy. Both are equally well finished. Proof is here. If you call this a "mess," then your Finnish made rifles are a bigger mess, because, I can see a lot of imperfections in that as well. The older Excalibur was far from perfect, and once it goes into production, its fit and finish will be as good as the INSAS 1B1. Even the INSAS has improved in quality over the years.

Bad Metalwork is highlighted only if the finish is using black glossy paint. If we paint that Finnish AKM clone in black glossy paint, even that would look like a poorly constructed contraption. Even the British L-85 looks shoddy. Moreover, if you want a rifle with excellent finish, then you have to go for cast metal alloy and then have them machined, like Bushmaster or Colt does. Even we have the capability to produce excellent quality weapons that are cast and machined. Proof is provided below. Stamped metal will never be able to match the quality of machined cast metal, and machined cast metal will never be able to be as economical as stamped metal.

Accuracy is one area where there are few rifles in the world that can match the INSAS. Galil, maybe, but certainly not RPK. What exactly is RK?

MCIWS and Colt M-16 are both excellent quality, when it comes to fit and finish. I understand there are few who form their opinion based on whether it is imported or made in India, but I actually compare the products to judge them. Is there any Finnish made rifle that can match the quality of MCIWS?

MCIWS

Colt M-16

Last edited:

jouni

• Fit and Finish
  • Bad Metalwork
  • Accuracy

Fit and Finish of INSAS has improved over the years. I have compared the pictures of INSAS 1B1 and that of the Finnish Kalashnikov copy. Both are equally well finished. Proof is here. If you call this a "mess," then your Finnish made rifles are a bigger mess, because, I can see a lot of imperfections in that as well. The older Excalibur was far from perfect, and once it goes into production, its fit and finish will be as good as the INSAS 1B1. Even the INSAS has improved in quality over the years.

Bad Metalwork is highlighted only if the finish is using black glossy paint. If we paint that Finnish AKM clone in black glossy paint, even that would look like a poorly constructed contraption. Even the British L-85 looks shoddy. Moreover, if you want a rifle with excellent finish, then you have to go for cast metal alloy and then have them machined, like Bushmaster or Colt does. Even we have the capability to produce excellent quality weapons that are cast and machined. Proof is provided below. Stamped metal will never be able to match the quality of machined cast metal, and machined cast metal will never be able to be as economical as stamped metal.

Accuracy is one area where there are few rifles in the world that can match the INSAS. Galil, maybe, but certainly not RPK. What exactly is RK?

MCIWS and Colt M-16 are both excellent quality, when it comes to fit and finish. I understand there are few who form their opinion based on whether it is imported or made in India, but I actually compare the products to judge them. Is there any Finnish made rifle that can match the quality of MCIWS?

MCIWS

Colt M-16
I am sure your INSAS is not as bad as we think, but I just wonder why you are replacing something taken to service only 20 years ago? Short lifespan...

Blackwater

I am sure your INSAS is not as bad as we think, but I just wonder why you are replacing something taken to service only 20 years ago? Short lifespan...

Insas was failed in kargil. Confirmed . Still took 15 yrs to replace it. Sorry still not replaced after 15 yrs lolllllll

pmaitra

It is called continuous improvement.

OFB and DRDO works closely with the Army and other forces under the Home Ministry. They continuously take feedback and improve upon the product. The Excalibur is not something new. Its prototype has been around for years. The pictures I had posted are from 2011.

The Excalibur prototype lacks refinement. Even the early INSAS suffered from refinement, but today, the INSAS is significantly improved, as it evident from the pictures. Once Excalibur goes into production, it will be much more refined, if INSAS is an example to go by. So much for looks.

Coming to accuracy and reliability, please understand that the Indian Army emphasizes on marksmanship, unlike the Soviet Army that focuses on using high volume of not-so-accurate fire to pin the enemy down while artillery/mortar pummels them. The INSAS is very accurate, but requires higher maintenance compared to the Kalashnikov family.

Blood+

Country flag
Insas was failed in kargil. Confirmed . Still took 15 yrs to replace it. Sorry still not replaced after 15 yrs lolllllll
Another lie!!True,there had been some reliability issues (like magazines developed cracks in them etc) in the freezing cold at such heights,but other than that,it was a big hit.

Blackwater

Another lie!!True,there had been some reliability issues (like magazines developed cracks in them etc) in the freezing cold at such heights,but other than that,it was a big hit.
its same to say daal me namak jayada tha,2 ,4 kankar the, daal kachi thi but baki daal theek thi:laugh::laugh::laugh:

ALBY

Section Moderator
Mod
Country flag
They singing peans now !! :pound:

It implies 5.56 X 45 will remain the caliber of LMG or Indian army will continue to use 7.62 X 51..

LMG and Carbines still remain to be cracked... what caliber will it be..:crazy:

One of the basic idea to adopt 5.56 was to make it common for all varieties of Small Arms.:doh:

Logistics will become nightmare with three different calibers.:lawl:
Comparing spending 2+ lakh rupees on a single rifle and consdering having an AK and excaliber ,the second one is always better.Coz the price never justifies.Also consdering the nightmare of logistics,AKs are used mainly in kashmr valley and 5.56 are used in peace areas and plains were regular infantry are stationed.So the nightmare thing is over hyped.And buying mult cal rfles meant buyiing two barells ,which was not clearly easing out the problem fully.unless the new weapon had new round incorporating the plus points of both M43 and 5.56.
Any way this is a good step considering the modernisaton of our weapon industry.
PS:Russia too had the same situation they never went for a multical,instead used AK74 and is going to induct AK103-2 as secondary rifle to fill the roles where only an AKM could be fit.

ALBY

Section Moderator
Mod
Country flag
  • Fit and Finish
  • Bad Metalwork
  • Accuracy

MCIWS

Colt M-16
With all due respect people like you who had experience with fire arms shouldn't post such things like asking about the quality of a finnish rifle.They are the best kalashnikov based weapons available on the whole planetbeaiing even the original russians,but was never famous thanks to the finnish policy of never exportiing RK-62s and also the high price because of the high quality.If you have any doubt just check about valmets in any US based AR-15/Kalashnikov forum.Only civilian variants were exported thats why they were never famous also after SAKO was bought buy beretta RK-95s were never produced as it was not of NATO chamber.

Blood+

Country flag
its same to say daal me namak jayada tha,2 ,4 kankar the, daal kachi thi but baki daal theek thi:laugh::laugh::laugh:
No,it's not at all like that. INSAS was a new system at that time and as a result,inadvertently there were some teething problems,as would have been the case with any other system!!And by the way,lets just say INSAS is crap,then how come those ultra modern, super advanced, light-years ahead and out of this world phoren multi cals failed in that same theater very recently,despite of being at least 6 times costlier than the 'crap' INSAS??!!so what do we make of them then??

Seriously man,garbage like you shouldn't be provided with the privileges of posting in a website like DFI.

Blood+

Country flag
With all due respect people like you who had experience with fire arms shouldn't post such things like asking about the quality of a finnish rifle.They are the best kalashnikov based weapons available on the whole planetbeaiing even the original russians,but was never famous thanks to the finnish policy of never exportiing RK-62s and also the high price because of the high quality.If you have any doubt just check about valmets in any US based AR-15/Kalashnikov forum.Only civilian variants were exported thats why they were never famous also after SAKO was bought buy beretta RK-95s were never produced as it was not of NATO chamber.
True that,but despite of their superior quality,the RK 62's accuracy and long distance performance will definitely be much poorer compared to INSAS due to the use of M43 rounds in the former.This round has a trajectory more comparable to a mortar shell than a rifle bullet,the bullets are too slow with so poor ballistic coefficient that they just drop too much even before passing 200 yards,which makes it totally unsuitable for conventional warfare................at least for an army whose training method is predominantly marksmanship oriented,with soldiers being trained to take well aimed shots in semi auto mode.

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
Being a soldier. I always wrote what I felt, as honest feedback or my personal expression ... However I was soon to know that it was an anathema for this forum...
@Kunal Viswas and @pmaitra (probably one from OFB and the other from DGQA or both form OFB) combined banned me for at least ten times.. tortured and troubled me in the forum.. so I got determined like I was thought in the Army ... work through jamming... resolutely work through opposition.. and every time I came back ..

I always felt a loner in this forum. but having read many last posts I feel I am not..

I only hope the present COAS, being a simpleton, is not going to get into trouble by accepting Excalibur... For a Chief, the sentiments and experience and feed back for soldiers on the ground is of supreme importance.. it can make or mar the history of a COAS... his image is important for the 14 million soldiers..

@pmaitra ... just do not quietly delete this post ...

pmaitra

I have never had the opportunity to use RK-62, so you might as well be right that it is the best Kalashnikov clone out there. I just don't know.

My comment was in the same spirit as that by @jouni. He talked about bad workmanship without ever having used the INSAS, so I responded in kind, without ever having used the RK-62. And it is my opinion, when it comes to fit and finish, from the pictures, the Finnish rifle is no better than the INSAS. You don't have to agree with me.
Being a soldier. I always wrote what I felt, as honest feedback or my personal expression ... However I was soon to know that it was an anathema for this forum...
@Kunal Viswas and @pmaitra (probably one from OFB and the other from DGQA or both form OFB) combined banned me for at least ten times.. tortured and troubled me in the forum.. so I got determined like I was thought in the Army ... work through jamming... resolutely work through opposition.. and every time I came back ..

I always felt a loner in this forum. but having read many last posts I feel I am not..

I only hope the present COAS, being a simpleton, is not going to get into trouble by accepting Excalibur... For a Chief, the sentiments and experience and feed back for soldiers on the ground is of supreme importance.. it can make or mar the history of a COAS... his image is important for the 14 million soldiers..

@pmaitra ... just do not quietly delete this post ...
@Bhadra,

Looking at the way you have been debating, it looks like you have no argument to offer, so you have to get personal. So, you say you are a soldier. How exactly did you fight wars? Did you sit in the trench and yell at the enemy "you DODOs?" Or did you call them "Rudali Brigade," and won your battles? Many people in this forum are engineers, and are working in positions of responsibility. They are getting requirements, and delivering the goods. They understand a smidgen of what a requirement is supposed to look like. Can you please explain to me why they have to repeatedly suffer your invectives? Has nobody ever taught you to treat others the way you want to be treated?

I don't know you, and you don't know me. I don't know what you are and what you have done. Frankly, I don't care. The only reason I care to counter you is because I want to let the neutral readers know the counter-points, and things that I consider dishonest fabrications from you. This is the reason why I said people hired in the military must be properly vetted as to their loyalty to the nation. The Indian military is a volunteer force. Had it been a conscripted force, a soldier would have had some reason to complain. For a volunteer force, there is no excuse to prefer imported weapons, and emphatically not if indigenous weapons are proven to be better than imported competitors. If I need to seek advice from someone who has served, I know who to talk to, and you are not that person.

All I know is that you have been indulging in personal attacks for the past several weeks. You have been calling others names, such as "Rudali Brigade," and using pejoratives "you DODOs." I can assure you, every member in this forum is as much a Dodo (an extinct bird), as you are a Longisquama (an extinct reptile).

Scores of your posts deserve to be deleted, but you have been given a soft line, just like many others have been given.

I am neither from the OFB, nor from DGQA. I just want to see India independent of foreign weapons imports. Yes, I am biased in that way. My bias is not motivated by kickbacks. Every member of the Homo sapiens species is biased - Machine Learning 101. It is true that I do have some information about OFB, but that is because RFI is very close to my home and I know people who work there, and what kind of instruments are used there. So, when I hear nonsense, like black furniture caused the INSAS to jam, I call it out, and will call it out, even if it comes from the Prime Minister. I have my own opinion about you, but I don't want to accuse you of anything. All I can say is that DRDO and OFB, for all their flaws, will not give bribes, and that is my firm belief.

Last edited:

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
I have never had the opportunity to use RK-62, so you might as well be right that it is the best Kalashnikov clone out there. I just don't know.

My comment was in the same spirit as that by @jouni. He talked about bad workmanship without ever having used the INSAS, so I responded in kind, without ever having used the RK-62. And it is my opinion, when it comes to fit and finish, from the pictures, the Finnish rifle is no better than the INSAS. You don't have to agree with me.

@Bhadra,

Looking at the way you have been debating, it looks like you have no argument to offer, so you have to get personal. So, you say you are a soldier. How exactly did you fight wars? Did you sit in the trench and yell at the enemy "you DODOs?" Or did you call them "Rudali Brigade," and won your battles? Many people in this forum are engineers, and are working in positions of responsibility. They are getting requirements, and delivering the goods. They understand a smidgen of what a requirement is supposed to look like. Can you please explain to me why they have to repeatedly suffer your invectives? Has nobody ever taught you to treat others the way you want to be treated?

I don't know you, and you don't know me. I don't know what you are and what you have done. Frankly, I don't care. The only reason I care to counter you is because I want to let the neutral readers know the counter-points, and things that I consider dishonest fabrications from you. This is the reason why I said people hired in the military must be properly vetted as to their loyalty to the nation. The Indian military is a volunteer force. Had it been a conscripted force, a soldier would have had some reason to complain. For a volunteer force, there is no excuse to prefer imported weapons, and emphatically not if indigenous weapons are proven to be better than imported competitors. If I need to seek advice from someone who has served, I know who to talk to, and you are not that person.

All I know is that you have been indulging in personal attacks for the past several weeks. You have been calling others names, such as "Rudali Brigade," and using pejoratives "you DODOs." I can assure you, every member in this forum is as much a Dodo (an extinct bird), as you are a Longisquama (an extinct reptile).

Scores of your posts deserve to be deleted, but you have been given a soft line, just like many others have been given.

I am neither from the OFB, nor from DGQA. I just want to see India independent of foreign weapons imports. Yes, I am biased in that way. My bias is not motivated by kickbacks. Every member of the Homo sapiens species is biased - Machine Learning 101. It is true that I do have some information about OFB, but that is because RFI is very close to my home and I know people who work there, and what kind of instruments are used there. So, when I hear nonsense, like black furniture caused the INSAS to jam, I call it out, and will call it out, even if it comes from the Prime Minister. I have my own opinion about you, but I don't want to accuse you of anything. All I can say is that DRDO and OFB, for all their flaws, will not give bribes, and that is my firm belief.

A typical holier than though snobbish approach, very typical of a stereotype which I would not name....

I am OK , you are not OK... leading to lack of tolerance of others views .. give infraction for quoting CAG report ,, delete posts in answer .... write nasty things in the night to spoil ones morning ... delete post ig date refrence is 2012 and it does not happen to 2015 ... and then gang up... mount disinformation and defame ...

On top of that justify it...

So if one does not win an argument call him disloyal, unpatriotic and even a Pakistani ... Ha Ha Ha

pmaitra

A typical holier than though snobbish approach, very typical of a stereotype which I would not name....

I am OK , you are not OK... leading to lack of tolerance of others views .. give infraction for quoting CAG report ,, delete posts in answer .... write nasty things in the night to spoil ones morning ... delete post ig date refrence is 2012 and it does not happen to 2015 ... and then gang up... mount disinformation and defame ...

On top of that justify it...

So if one does not win an argument call him disloyal, unpatriotic and even a Pakistani ... Ha Ha Ha
@Bhadra,

Who gave you an infraction for quoting CAG report? Or did you post the CAG report and in the same post abuse someone? Can you point out that post? Knowing your compulsive habit of making dishonest claims, this does not surprise me.

Posts deleted? Yes. Any post with "Rudali Brigade" or "Dodo" are liable to be deleted. If you don't want posts to be deleted, then keep the nastiness out. Not everyone might have the taste of stooping low, so it is better to delete filth for the sake of the health of the thread.

Deleting posting date reference? What does that even mean?

Ganging up? You mean flocking up? I was under the impression anyone who does not agree with you is a bird.

Defame? I don't need to do that. You have accomplished that yourself already.

Last edited:

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
@Bhadra,

Who gave you an infraction for quoting CAG report? Or did you post the CAG report and in the same post abuse someone? Can you point out that post? Knowing your compulsive habit of making dishonest claims, this does not surprise me.

Posts deleted? Yes. Any post with "Rudali Brigade" or "Dodo" are liable to be deleted. If you don't want posts to be deleted, then keep the nastiness out.

Deleting posting date reference? What does that even mean?

Ganging up? You mean flocking up? I was under the impression anyone who does not agree with you is a bird.

Defame? I don't need to do that. You have accomplished that yourself already.
Oh , it means I have arrived on DFI .... that is good

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles