Eurofighter EF-2000 Typhoon

BON PLAN

-*-
Contributor
Country flag
FA-18 and EA-18 are like chana and bhatura. They go together its not a one or other situation. 20-25% of a squadron of SuperHornets should be the EA-18 version.

As for RafaleM, it can take off from STOBAR carriers by using afterburners and its canards but the load will be compromised.
SH18 blk3 with its 150KN dry thrust and LERX will likely be able to take off from INS-Vikrant without use of afterburners. It is the best solution for INS-Vikrant.

In my view India should build another Vikrant class carrier in the next 4-5 years and buy 6 squadrons of SH18 blk3 for these two carriers right away.
I think Growler in the USN is less than 15% of the whole fleet.

I doubt SH18 can take off from a ski jump without after burner (at least with some fuel and weapon) : Empty weight of SH is nearly 13 to 14 tons. 15 tons dry power is not enough.

Super Flanker

Aviation and Defence Enthusiast
Country flag
I think Growler in the USN is less than 15% of the whole fleet.

I doubt SH18 can take off from a ski jump without after burner (at least with some fuel and weapon) : Empty weight of SH is nearly 13 to 14 tons. 15 tons dry power is not enough.
Yes

Concard

Country flag
Apart from air intakes our TEDBF will look similar to this. And also ORCA if at all we develop after the success of TEDBF.

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
EFT is a beautiful aircraft; sleek, modern for its time, and has exceptional flight characteristics and ease of use. But somehow, the venture at a project level feels poorly planned and full of confusion. There is not future in this consortium product at all.

Adding CFTs with some minor modifications is not going to justify the jump in costs. While fancy oil kingdoms of the Middle East like Saudi, Qatar, Kuwait & Oman buy it since they seldom use it for anything other than aerobatics (Saudi being the exception that used the jet against Houthis in Yemen), it would be a tough sell to organic countries, with transparent budgets.

From what I remember, Austria was not pleased with the contractual deviations some 3-4 years ago. Apart from its partner market & the Middle East, Typhoon has not done well in Asia Pacific. Singapore, South Korea, India, etc. have all dropped the jet from any competition, choosing either American or French jets. Switzerland, Finland and Denmark have chosen F-35s, though I wonder what need do the Swiss have for something as advanced as that, since they are not a part of NATO.

A jet without future evolution of upgrades is pointless as most countries cannot just afford to junk their fleets at the drop of a hat.

BON PLAN

-*-
Contributor
Country flag
EFT is a beautiful aircraft; sleek, modern for its time, and has exceptional flight characteristics and ease of use. But somehow, the venture at a project level feels poorly planned and full of confusion. There is not future in this consortium product at all.

Adding CFTs with some minor modifications is not going to justify the jump in costs. While fancy oil kingdoms of the Middle East like Saudi, Qatar, Kuwait & Oman buy it since they seldom use it for anything other than aerobatics (Saudi being the exception that used the jet against Houthis in Yemen), it would be a tough sell to organic countries, with transparent budgets.

From what I remember, Austria was not pleased with the contractual deviations some 3-4 years ago. Apart from its partner market & the Middle East, Typhoon has not done well in Asia Pacific. Singapore, South Korea, India, etc. have all dropped the jet from any competition, choosing either American or French jets. Switzerland, Finland and Denmark have chosen F-35s, though I wonder what need do the Swiss have for something as advanced as that, since they are not a part of NATO.

A jet without future evolution of upgrades is pointless as most countries cannot just afford to junk their fleets at the drop of a hat.
Its sole problem is that it was studied to be only potent in air to air role. For all the other missions it is badly shaped (main issue is range).
It has now quite no more future in export market, despite AESA etc....

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
Its sole problem is that it was studied to be only potent in air to air role. For all the other missions it is badly shaped (main issue is range).
It has now quite no more future in export market, despite AESA etc....
The consortium has broken down, isn't it? I mean they will continue supporting the products for spares since it is just existing companies that formed the partnership for a common purpose, but the Eurofighter Consortium will cease officially. Any ideas?

EU is going with a Franco-German-Spanish 6th gen jet and UK is going at it with Sweden & Spain.

BON PLAN

-*-
Contributor
Country flag
A news from Turkey : Turkey may purchase up to 80 EF2000 !

It's nearly the sole solution now : F35 is a now way because of the S400 purchase. USA didn't accept to sell 40 more F16 and 80 upgrade kits. Sama answer in case of F15 or SH18 I think. Seeing the relation beween France and Tuurkey, no sell of Rafale. With the ukrainian war, the russian door is now closed.

Remain EF2000. (Or Chinese jet, but CAATSA...)

It's far from beeing a inked deal ! just see the Turkey economy. And what about the Meteor : France may stop a deal because security issues in oriental mediterranee.

Super Flanker

Aviation and Defence Enthusiast
Country flag
A news from Turkey : Turkey may purchase up to 80 EF2000 !

It's nearly the sole solution now : F35 is a now way because of the S400 purchase. USA didn't accept to sell 40 more F16 and 80 upgrade kits. Sama answer in case of F15 or SH18 I think. Seeing the relation beween France and Tuurkey, no sell of Rafale. With the ukrainian war, the russian door is now closed.

Remain EF2000. (Or Chinese jet, but CAATSA...)

It's far from beeing a inked deal ! just see the Turkey economy. And what about the Meteor : France may stop a deal because security issues in oriental mediterranee.

Eurofighter Typhoon has a lot of UK(BAE systems) input in it and it is a Major Partner for the Eurofighter typhoon. Also US pretty much Controls UK's foreign policy as far as I am concerned and may block this deal from Happening as well though.

Flying Dagger

Country flag
Eurofighter Typhoon has a lot of UK(BAE systems) input in it and it is a Major Partner for the Eurofighter typhoon. Also US pretty much Controls UK's foreign policy as far as I am concerned and may block this deal from Happening as well though.
Depends how turkey behave onwards.

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
Eurofighter Typhoon has a lot of UK(BAE systems) input in it and it is a Major Partner for the Eurofighter Typhoon. Also the US pretty much Controls UK's foreign policy as far as I am concerned and may block this deal from Happening as well though.
Not now: Americans are in a tight spot and are getting hammered by the non-vassal world.
  1. Saudi Arabia & UAE are ignoring Biden, refusing to increase oil production quotas
  2. We abstained in 3 consecutive UN sessions, as we have our strategic interests
  3. Expecting cooperation from China is LOL
  4. African countries are concerned with bringing their students back home, 100s are still in Ukraine;
  5. Iran and Venezuela refused to accept the US deal to remove sanctions in exchange for increasing oil quotas
  6. France is a wary ally & wants to break the EU countries free from American political stranglehold
Turkey is quite literally the ONLY country that is within NATO but independent enough. If anything, they will let the British sell them the EFT-2000 and control the Turks later.

It will depend on Hürjet's progress as well as the finalization of a strategic partner for TF-X. Technically speaking, Turkey is going to have a field day leveraging their current position.

Spitfire9

Country flag
Not now: Americans are in a tight spot and are getting hammered by the non-vassal world.
  1. Saudi Arabia & UAE are ignoring Biden, refusing to increase oil production quotas
  2. We abstained in 3 consecutive UN sessions, as we have our strategic interests
  3. Expecting cooperation from China is LOL
  4. African countries are concerned with bringing their students back home, 100s are still in Ukraine;
  5. Iran and Venezuela refused to accept the US deal to remove sanctions in exchange for increasing oil quotas
  6. France is a wary ally & wants to break the EU countries free from American political stranglehold
Turkey is quite literally the ONLY country that is within NATO but independent enough. If anything, they will let the British sell them the EFT-2000 and control the Turks later.

It will depend on Hürjet's progress as well as the finalization of a strategic partner for TF-X. Technically speaking, Turkey is going to have a field day leveraging their current position.
I think that Turkey needs something non-American to replace F-4. Something Russian gives problems with US and CAATSA. Something Chinese - no idea but there is a vague risk of CAATSA, I guess. If it is something European, the Eurofighter seems appealing - AESA is finally arriving (with 1400 send and receive modules IIRC, could be very good).

Global Defence

Articles