EU ratifies 48% tariff on Chinese solar

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
I think this time is different. China has been intimidating in the SCS and ECS. so pretty sure that the chinese will retaliate this time. I think its a good thing for the chinese as there is little down side for them.
You must have a few screws loose if you think China could win a trade war.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

amoy

You must have a few screws loose if you think China could win a trade war.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2
China can pick a battle ground where she has a leverage -

18.5% of EU auto export, not a small slice~!

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
China can pick a battle ground where she has a leverage -

18.5% of EU auto export, not a small slice~!
I can't wait for the day you do. It will bring manufacturing out of China since they make us build it there. :lol:

amoy

I can't wait for the day you do. It will bring manufacturing out of China since they make us build it there. :lol:
How can the manufacturing be brought BACK to Europe?

China imported 572,000 passenger cars from Europe and 10,100 commercial vehicles last year, according to consultancy LMC Automotive, though it could not provide a breakdown of models or manufacturers.

ACEA put the figure at almost half a million vehicles and said the majority would likely be impacted by any trade duty imposed by China. It did not breakdown the figures either.

While many European carmakers manufacture vehicles in China, in part to avoid existing duties, their top-end ranges are usually still built at home.
The jobs are already in Europe.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
How can the manufacturing be brought BACK to Europe?

The jobs are already in Europe.
Half a million cars is nothing. Most of that is German luxury autos which we don't care about.

amoy

EU, China settle solar-panel trade dispute - CSMonitor.com

The Europe Union and Chinese solar panel exporters said Saturday that they had reached a settlement in their long trade dispute, with the exporters agreeing to sell their products at a minimum price in the EU market.

The agreement ends one of the biggest-ever trade disputes between China and Europe — a row that threatened to escalate into a full-blown trade war involving European wines and to disrupt EU-China relations.

The settlement comes after negotiations that began in June when the EU announced that duties averaging 47 percent on Chinese-made solar panels, cells and wafers would come into effect in August. The EU said then that China was selling its products in the EU market at below-cost prices and harming the European solar panel industry.

In announcing the settlement, EU Trade Commissioner Karel De Gucht said that he was satisfied with the offer by the Chinese solar panel exporters and that the agreement would stabilize the European solar panel market.

"We have found an amicable solution that will result in a new equilibrium on the European solar panel market at a sustainable price level," he said.

amoy

Good, then China won't raise the tax for Wine from EU, i can still enjoy then with less money.
Frankly Chinese way of drinking is horrible, always "ganbei" bottom up. I wouldn't mind banning any import of alcohol. Anyway I've totally quit that.

Back to "solar panel" I think it's a bad idea for EU to set a "minimum price". So ridiculous in a "market economy", not encouraging for reduction of carbon footprints, against the backdrops of falling fossil fuel prices.

no smoking

Country flag
Frankly Chinese way of drinking is horrible, always "ganbei" bottom up. I wouldn't mind banning any import of alcohol. Anyway I've totally quit that.
I am not a person in favor of any wine, so I agree with you here.

Back to "solar panel" I think it's a bad idea for EU to set a "minimum price". So ridiculous in a "market economy", not encouraging for reduction of carbon footprints, against the backdrops of falling fossil fuel prices.
There is never such a thing "pure market economy". You have to look through EU's eyes: they need to provide certain level of protection of their industry or facing hundreds of thousands of unemployeed workers. It is good agreement for both sides: EU market is still open to Chinese goods with appropriate protection.

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag

So China wants Europe to play pure market economy while it (China) dumps its government subsidized products on the latter?

s002wjh

Country flag
So China wants Europe to play pure market economy while it (China) dumps its government subsidized products on the latter?
everyone dumps/subsidize their stuff. japan/korea did it with their electronic and more, US did it with their oil industry, and more, the list goes on and on.

no smoking

Country flag
There is no such thing of "pure market economy"!
Everyone is subsidizing their own products directly or indirectly, for example

EU subsidizes Air Bus;
US subsidizes its farmers;
India subsidizes the petrol;

t_co

Great resolution; @Armand2REP must be feeling blue :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:

bose

Country flag
Or we can whip them back and make them behave. The world is not about rules, it's about power, and learning to use one's power to increase one's power relative to others.
Typical Stupid Chinese!! still not got over the spanking from Japanese..

tarunraju

Sanathan Pepe
Mod
Country flag
Imposing tax on clean energy technologies is inhuman. Here in India, there are zero taxes for certain kinds of things, like ambulances. A PV panel should be one such item, because it's working to reduce pollution.

On the one hand, Europeans badger China and India on pollution every time there's a climate change meet, on the other, they make clean energy technologies prohibitively expensive by taxation. That tells you something.

gotowest

The only thing China could really hit us with is cancelled orders for Airbus, but then the US slapped the same tariffs so they don't have a choice. Come August, China's solar industry is dead.
Liar lies again.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Last edited by a moderator:

sob

Mod
Country flag
Imposing tax on clean energy technologies is inhuman. Here in India, there are zero taxes for certain kinds of things, like ambulances. A PV panel should be one such item, because it's working to reduce pollution.

On the one hand, Europeans badger China and India on pollution every time there's a climate change meet, on the other, they make clean energy technologies prohibitively expensive by taxation. That tells you something.
It is not as simple as that. Chinese companies have been dumping solar panels at ridiculous prices. At some point it was good that it helped the overall cost to come down but in the long run it finishes off the domestic industry. Here in India the import cost on PV Panels is Zero percent and almost 95% of the imports are from China and from personal experience I can say the quality in many cases is quite dodgy. This has had a very negative impact on the domestic industry as a few people have shut shop. We need to safeguard our industry to some extent otherwise we will be at the mercy of cheap Chinese imports.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles