Engage Narendra Modi but be on guard: Former Pakistani diplomat

AVERAGE INDIAN

EXORCIST
Country flag
Islamabad: It is good to engage a Narendra Modi-led India but Islamabad must remain on guard vis-a-vis New Delhi, a former Pakistani ambassador to the UN said in remarks published Sunday.

"While embracing Modi's engagement, Pakistan must keep up its guard and retain the capacity for credible deterrence against India," Munir Akram said in an opinion piece in Dawn.

Akram said the invitation to Pakistan Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif and other Saarc leaders from Prime Minister-elect Modi to attend his swearing in Monday "was more surprising than his landslide electoral victory".

"Modi's invitation is an astute diplomatic move and a mixed blessing for the Pakistan prime minister," Akram said.

"Its rejection could have been construed as an unfriendly gesture and justification for future Indian belligerence.

"However, its acceptance, despite past and recent insults hurled at Pakistan, could cast this country in the role of an Indian satrap, more so if other South Asian leaders attend.

"The occasion could be utilized by Modi to set the bilateral and regional agenda. In any case, peace is not about to break out between Pakistan and India," he said.

Whatever Modi's reasons for inviting Sharif and other Saarc leaders, Akram said Islamabad must not needlessly confront New Delhi.

"It is in Pakistan's strategic interest to avoid a confrontation with India so that it can focus on promoting economic development, putting down the (Taliban) and dealing with the transition in Afghanistan," he said.

But in New Delhi, Sharif "will need to ensure India's respect for Pakistan's sovereignty and its national interests," Akram said.

"Pursuing economic cooperation and trade wherever this is beneficial for Pakistan is a legitimate aim. But this will not in itself assure peace and stability.

"Kashmir remains a time bomb in Pakistan-India relations and requires an equitable solution."

Engage Narendra Modi but be on guard: Former Pakistani diplomat - The Economic Times

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
Akram said the invitation to Pakistan Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif and other Saarc leaders from Prime Minister-elect Modi to attend his swearing in Monday "was more surprising than his landslide electoral victory".

"However, its acceptance, despite past and recent insults hurled at Pakistan, could cast this country in the role of an Indian satrap, more so if other South Asian leaders attend.

"It is in Pakistan's strategic interest to avoid a confrontation with India so that it can focus on promoting economic development, putting down the (Taliban) and dealing with the transition in Afghanistan," he said.

Pakistan becoming a regional satrap of India is the main worry of Pakistanies !! They are different - is the foundation of their national identify ??

Maya Mili Na Raam - so say Indians.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
They should be on gaurd.

Modi does not carry any baggage of sentimentality towards the land of Pakistan.

JBH22

They should be on gaurd.

Modi does not carry any baggage of sentimentality towards the land of Pakistan.
Care to elaborate about it.

These people should differentiate between Modi candidate and Modi PM, despite all the rhetoric it is known the nuclear factor will calm down all hot heads.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Care to elaborate about it.

These people should differentiate between Modi candidate and Modi PM, despite all the rhetoric it is known the nuclear factor will calm down all hot heads.
Sure.

One correction in my earlier post.

For 'gaurd' read ''guard".

That said sure I will elaborate on 'sentimentality'.

Those who were born in either West Pakistan or Bangladesh, get starry eyed, moist eyed and nostalgic about the 'good old days' there. I have seen it amongst some of my elderly relatives.

When they are in office of, say the PM, like it or not, emotions also influences their decisions on Pakistan.

MMS was wanted better relations so that the borders became 'invisible' fences. That is why he was not so het up about the ignominy being heaped on India by Pakistan.

JBH22

Sure.

One correction in my earlier post.

For 'gaurd' read ''guard".

That said sure I will elaborate on 'sentimentality'.

Those who were born in either West Pakistan or Bangladesh, get starry eyed, moist eyed and nostalgic about the 'good old days' there. I have seen it amongst some of my elderly relatives.

When they are in office of, say the PM, like it or not, emotions also influences their decisions on Pakistan.

MMS was wanted better relations so that the borders became 'invisible' fences. That is why he was not so het up about the ignominy being heaped on India by Pakistan.
So essentially the post partition generation will most likely go hard on Pakistan as for them it is an alien country :)

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles