Earth's magnetic field is collapsing

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
If a switch happens, we would be exposed to solar winds capable of punching holes into the ozone layer.

The impact could be devastating for mankind, knocking out power grids, radically changing Earth's climate and driving up rates of cancer.

'This is serious business', Richard Holme, Professor of Earth, Ocean and Ecological Sciences at Liverpool University told MailOnline. 'Imagine for a moment your electrical power supply was knocked out for a few months – very little works without electricity these days.'
Forget global warming, worry about the Earth's MAGNETOSPHERE | Mail Online

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
Not to sound casual, but there was a good movie named 'The Core' with similar plot...
The Core (2003) - IMDb
The Earth's core has stopped spinning. Disasters are appearing all over the world: Birds acting crazy, powerful thunderstorms, 32 people die within seconds of each other when their pacemakers quit working. Dr. Josh Keyes and his crew of five (total members: 6) go down to the center of the Earth to set off a nuclear device to make the Earth's core start spinning again or Mankind will perish.

arya

Country flag
that not going to happen now , the things will happen at lest 200-500 yr from now .

death is reality then why worrying .

angeldude13

Lestat De Lioncourt
Country flag
that not going to happen now , the things will happen at lest 200-500 yr from now .

death is reality then why worrying .
Only vessel dies and not the soul but there is a problem.
I like my current vessel as it is the most handsomest and cutest.
What if i got a fugly vessel next time??

A chauhan

"अहिंसा परमो धर्मः धर्म हिंसा तथैव च: l"
Country flag
What is the reason for that supposed collapse ? Core stoppage ? Or magnetic field shift ?

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Wont be a big issue, But would be a real serious one if at the same time there is a large solar storm ..

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
What is the reason for that supposed collapse ? Core stoppage ? Or magnetic field shift ?
Frankly, the scientist aren't entirely sure what is happening. But they suspect it is a pole shift.
Fun times ahead :yey:

A chauhan

Country flag
Frankly, the scientist aren't entirely sure what is happening. But they suspect it is a pole shift.
Fun times ahead :yey:
If it is a pole shift then how can we lose magnetic field ? shifting poles doesn't equate to losing magnetic field !? :confused: ain't solar winds concentrate on the poles in the form of aurora ?

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
If it is a pole shift then how can we lose magnetic field ? shifting poles doesn't equate to losing magnetic field !? :confused: ain't solar winds concentrate on the poles in the form of aurora ?
Well, from what I read in the article: Pole shifts occur about 4 times in a million year and the entire process (of pole shifting) takes possibly up to a thousand years. And from what I can understand a gradual weakening of the field occurs as the pole shift process begins and the field remains weakened during the entire process.
A weakened field could lead to increased cancer deaths, might affect communication satellites and power grids, and also cause problems for animals which rely on the Earth's magnetic field for various purposes (for eg: some animals use the magnetic field to get a sense of direction).

A chauhan

Country flag
Well, from what I read in the article: Pole shifts occur about 4 times in a million year and the entire process (of pole shifting) takes possibly up to a thousand years. And from what I can understand a gradual weakening of the field occurs as the pole shift process begins and the field remains weakened during the entire process.
A weakened field could lead to increased cancer deaths, might affect communication satellites and power grids, and also cause problems for animals which rely on the Earth's magnetic field for various purposes (for eg: some animals use the magnetic field to get a sense of direction).
A gradual weakening ! perhaps we will find some way to save ourselves, Thanks ! :)

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles