Dubai hands over gem heist suspects to India

Discussion in 'Foreign Relations' started by ejazr, Aug 27, 2010.

  1. ejazr

    ejazr Stars and Ambassadors Stars and Ambassadors

    Oct 8, 2009
    Likes Received:
    Hyderabad and Sydney
    gulfnews : Dubai hands over gem heist suspects to India

    Dubai: Dubai Police have handed over four suspects wanted by Mumbai Police for stealing diamonds worth more than Dh5.2 million at a jewellery show in India.

    Dubai Police acted upon an Interpol arrest warrant and in cooperation with Mumbai Police authorities.

    A delegation from Mumbai Police was received at Dubai International Airport by senior Dubai Police officials to hand over the suspects and the stolen items, said Brigadier Khalil Ebrahim Al Mansouri, Director-General of the Criminal Investigations Department of Dubai Police.

    Following the theft which took place at a diamond show in Goregaon, Mumbai, the four suspects fled the country intending to head to Germany while transiting via Dubai International Airport.

    Media reports stated that the gang thought it best to strike on the last day of the exhibition when participants would be busy wrapping up.

    The accused allegedly slipped away with a box containing 300 pieces of diamonds, weighing 889 carats — 245 pieces of diamond, which were all located in two of the suspects' handbags, said Brig Al Mansouri.


    Following thorough investigations Dubai Police were able to identify the four suspects as they were operating with a little information they received from the Interpol request.

    The four — three Mexicans and a Venezuelan — accused are Guerrero Lugo Elivia Grissel (24), a woman, Campos Molan Elias (39), Gonzalez Maldonado Mauricio (24) and Gutierez Orlando (30). The first three are Mexicans while the fourth accused comes from Venezuela. The three Mexicans stayed in the West End hotel at Marine Drive in Mumbai.

    The four then took a cab and went to the JW Marriott hotel at Juhu where they shared the diamonds among themselves.

    By the time, the police learnt of the theft at 10pm, the four had left on a flight to Germany via Dubai from the international airport.

    Major General Khamis Mattar Al Mazeina, Acting Chief of Dubai Police, said, "Dubai Police will not heistate to assist any country in fighting crimes."

    Remand application

    Four foreign nationals arrested at the Dubai airport in connection with the theft of diamonds worth Rs66 million (Dh5.2 million) from a jewellery exhibition in Mumbai on Monday were brought back by the city police this morning. Three Crime Branch officers had left for the UAE Wednesday evening.

    The four suspects were produced before a local court this afternoon and have been remanded to police custody until September 4. In a remand application before Additional Chief Metropolitan Magistrate B S Bhambade, Mumbai Police sought their custody to get to the bottom of the conspiracy.

    The four were held at Dubai airport following a request from India. When police realised they could be nabbed in Dubai, the Extradition Treaty Cell of the police to nail foreign nationals got cracking and had them detained.

    The accused were identified by scanning through CCTV footages put up at the International Jewellery Show held at suburban Goregaon from where they allegedly stole about 300 pieces of diamonds weighing 889 carats from a stall belonging to Dalumi Group.

    The four had visited the show posing as members of the gem and jewellery industry. Whilst two of them distracted the company representative, the third sneaked into the store room and made away with a box containing the diamonds. The theft came to be known only two hours later and by then the accused had gone to the airport on a flight to Hamburg via Dubai.

    They were not caught in the city airport since the four had swallowed the diamonds to avoid detection but police swung into action after a complaint was lodged and issued look-out notices. The Dubai police made them purge out the valuables after taking them into custody.

    The accused had arrived in India on August 18, three of them staying in a hotel in south Mumbai whilst the Venezuelan national was put up at a suburban hotel in Juhu.

Share This Page