DRDO unveils LACSMI to boost Navy firepower

Kshatriya87

Country flag
http://www.defencenews.in/article/DRDO-unveils-LACSMI-to-boost-Navy-firepower-2735

It's named LACSMI, pronounced Laxmi — the Goddess of prosperity and wellbeing - and not without reason. It holds the potential to ensure that warships, tanks and other weapons platforms manufactured in the country can have exactly the right stealth capabilities to evade laser and infrared guided bombs and missiles.

The Laser Cross Section Measurement & Imaging System (LACSMI), developed by Laser Science and Technology Centre (LASTEC) of the Defence Research and Development Organisation was unveiled at the maritime exhibition at Visakhapatnam held as part of the International Fleet Review 2016.

Most of the Indian Navy's latest warships possess stealth capabilities but till now there was no way of measuring exactly how much is good enough to fool the laser seekers. It will be LACSMI's job to carry out imaging of ships as well as tanks and other military vehicles to find the 'hotspots' that give away their location to the enemy.

"This technology is in a nascent stage worldwide and no such system is reported in open literature or available inventory of any developed nation's armed forces. This was developed indigenously and is an excellent example of 'Make in India' efforts. Electro-optically guided precision strike munitions, commonly known as laser guided and infrared guided munitions have proved how lethal they are in recent conflicts around the globe. In laser-guided munitions, the target is illuminated by a laser designator and laser seeker head installed within the bomb or missile. They make use of laser-scattered radiation from the targets to command the weapon to strike with remarkable precision. Such weapons are widely used nowadays and pose an increasingly serious threat to strategic targets. In order to modify existing platforms to make them stealthier or design new generation stealth platforms, a system which can measure and record laser signature was required;" says Dr Ravindra Singh, project director at LASTEC.

Singh added: "It can provide online and offline laser signature measurement, generate laser 3D images, identify hotspots and automatically video track sea and airborne targets. It also has the capability to give motion compensated laser signature and 3D images, which is contemporary technology developed for the first time ever."

Madhuri Yadav, who has been working closely with Singh, says that the system was developed in 2014 but took a while to test and adjust. Now, it will be set-up on Dolphin Hill at the naval dockyard in Visakhapatnam.

It will constantly be sending out a radar beam to a distance of up to five km to pick up targets. The laser is totally eye safe.

HariPrasad-1

Country flag
This is excellent. Some time ago, Similar facility was commissioned for the measurement of Plane RCS. This shall help us to make our ships more stealthier. This is a greta development. I remember one indian air force pilot saying that he could not detect one of our our stealth ship from plane which was less than 100 KM away.

Kshatriya87

Country flag
This is excellent. Some time ago, Similar facility was commissioned for the measurement of Plane RCS. This shall help us to make our ships more stealthier. This is a greta development. I remember one indian air force pilot saying that he could not detect one of our our stealth ship from plane which was less than 100 KM away.
I wonder if this technology can be used for land bases as well. If they can modify it accordingly, it can give us a brilliant advantage against incoming missiles or aircrafts looking to blow up our bases.

HariPrasad-1

Country flag
I wonder if this technology can be used for land bases as well. If they can modify it accordingly, it can give us a brilliant advantage against incoming missiles or aircrafts looking to blow up our bases.
Look at the first paragraph. This technology is not for naval vessels but tanks as well.

Kshatriya87

Country flag
Look at the first paragraph. This technology is not for naval vessels but tanks as well.
Yes, tanks are fine for defence during offensive moves. I'm talking about entire bases e.g. air bases, missile launch stations, nuclear power plants etc.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

HariPrasad-1

Country flag
Yes, tanks are fine for defence during offensive moves. I'm talking about entire bases e.g. air bases, missile launch stations, nuclear power plants etc.

No I do not think that they can be made stealth as they are huge and monitored from multiple places and multiple angles. If you want to make stealth, use jamming equipment so that satellite can not see them.

Kshatriya87

Country flag
No I do not think that they can be made stealth as they are huge and monitored from multiple places and multiple angles. If you want to make stealth, use jamming equipment so that satellite can not see them.
If the co-ordinates are known, jamming / blocking satellite imagery won't help. Missiles can be configured to hit specific co-ordinates irrespective of visual confirmation.

HariPrasad-1

Country flag
If the co-ordinates are known, jamming / blocking satellite imagery won't help. Missiles can be configured to hit specific co-ordinates irrespective of visual confirmation.

yes but you can hide the activities talking place in such area as jamming will deny the photography and monitoring of the area, I remember one news when VIkramaditya was bought to India. Our pilots said that its jamming was so strong that we could not locate and see the aircraft career until it became visible by necked eyes.

Kshatriya87

Country flag
yes but you can hide the activities talking place in such area as jamming will deny the photography and monitoring of the area, I remember one news when VIkramaditya was bought to India. Our pilots said that its jamming was so strong that we could not locate and see the aircraft career until it became visible by necked eyes.
Yes, absolutely. Day to day activities, other strategic moves can be jammed. But I wonder if it works against satellites as well.

warrior monk

Basically it will help in 3D modelling of large ships which is not possible in laboratory and they have to be kept still and ship damage assessment and obviously the optical cross section of the weapon system . Anti ship missiles can use LIDAR as a redundant system along with their INS and TERCOM matching this system will measure the BRDF ( bidirectional reflectance distribution function ) and ways to reduce it.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles