DRDO Phalcon style AWACS

anoop_mig25

Country flag
Wasnt drdo was/is developing AWACS like plane.they even imported done dumpy testing on plane imported from brazil what happened to them ????

p2prada

With improvement in AESA technology, the weight of such a system can be reduced significantly due to lower cooling requirements and much smaller Tx/Rx module size. This is the first publicly declared airborne AESA project to use a four sided array.
Front end will never change, only back end can.

You are neglecting the possible advances in indigenous MMIC technology that will occur between the El/W-2090 of 2008 and Indian array a good part of a decade apart.
Don't get me wrong. I will be happy if what you say happens. But if DRDO does provide a Phalcon equivalent performance on a four sided array, it would be a great achievement. I don't want them sugar coating any kind of failure later on just because they tried something new.

All I am saying is they should try this 4 array jazz after having built a 3 array version first. It is tried and tested, a lot safer and technology and support for it already exists.

Twinblade

Country flag
Front end will never change, only back end can.
Speaking of change in front end, the power output just doubled in three years. So much for no change ;)
http://defenceforumindia.com/forum/indian-air-force/3900-indian-emb-145-aew-c-27.html#post789988

http://drdo.gov.in/drdo/drdojsp/downloadtndr.jsp?tenderName=5001&McrId=CABS*Centre%20For%20Air%20Borne%20System&p=EOI_6_20_Sep_13.pdf

Seems like they are calling EOIs for t/r modules in X,S and L band for AWACS-I project, I wonder why, some sort of multiband radar in works like the US Navy AMDR ?

p2prada

Speaking of change in front end, the power output just doubled in three years. So much for no change ;)
That's not what I meant. Overall, such an array will end up receiving a new designation and hence will become a new radar by itself, like Bars Phase 1 and Bars Phase 2, whatever it is called now. But upgrading the back end will only mean designations like Bars Mk1, Bars Mk2 etc, the earlier radar upgrades to MKI from 2002 to 2008 with new computers.

Seems like they are calling EOIs for t/r modules in X,S and L band for AWACS-I project, I wonder why, some sort of multiband radar in works like the US Navy AMDR ?
That would be pretty good. Hope it works out.

rohit b3

Country flag
How about mounting it on the UAC/HAL MTA, which is under development. More indigenisation!!

Btw, what's the status of the DRDO AWECs?

Twinblade

Country flag
How about mounting it on the UAC/HAL MTA, which is under development. More indigenisation!!

It's a 10.2 meter wide dish. It is huge even for the largest of aircraft. An aew&c spin off of MTA is planned, but that would be well into another decade.

Btw, what's the status of the DRDO AWECs?
It's aew&cs not awecs. There is a big sticky right on top in the sticky section that I try to keep updated, why the hell does no one check on it, and no I am not going to give a link to it. Stop being so lazy and try to go through a few pages of posts, every aspect of the program is covered in detail.

pkroyal

If DRDO makes an AWAC with the present level of technology available to its glorious brood, then:-
Firstly it will not get Airborne
If it does, it will not give any Warning
AND
If it warns it may not have any Control
If it has all of the above it will no longer be a System

rvjpheonix

Country flag
If DRDO makes an AWAC with the present level of technology available to its glorious brood, then:-
AND
I hope you are around when this thing does fly and outdoes the phalcon.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
AND
some one once told me that confidence is strange thing if you dont have it, then too bad, because, you cant get it in the market. :taunt1:

bennedose

some one once told me that confidence is strange thing if you dont have it, then too bad, because, you cant get it in the market. :taunt1:
Funnily enough I never see Chinese, Iranians or even Pakistanis being so scathingly derisive of attempts to develop something by their own people even if the attempt is a failure or a con job. I believe that Indians have been taught right from schooldays that Indian efforts will be rubbish. And how convenient those attitudes are for Pakis and Chinese - they don't even need to write articles critical of India - they just quote self derisive Indians.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Distasteful ..

==========

Your Own Country have AWAC already, By means of Your is design and made by your own people and its better than the most ..

AND

shuvo@y2k10

Country flag
nice effort by the drdo but if it is intended to supplant/replace phalcon then why is drdo should aim for 600-800 km range.also why isn't il-76 platform not considered?

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
6-12 phalcons are peanuts with respect to the given task of monitoring Western, Eastern & Andaman airspace ..

There is a need for at least 20 such systems, Based on an economical platform, IL-76 is not economical considering its fuel consumption and maintenance ..

nice effort by the drdo but if it is intended to supplant/replace phalcon then why is drdo should aim for 600-800 km range.also why isn't il-76 platform not considered?

Patriot

Country flag
Funnily enough I never see Chinese, Iranians or even Pakistanis being so scathingly derisive of attempts to develop something by their own people even if the attempt is a failure or a con job. I believe that Indians have been taught right from schooldays that Indian efforts will be rubbish. And how convenient those attitudes are for Pakis and Chinese - they don't even need to write articles critical of India - they just quote self derisive Indians.
It is all self apologetic attitude. People directly compare to US etc, but do not beleive in our selves.

Those who do not appreciate can neither be good leader nor follower. A good leader by encouragement can bring excellent results from mediocre people.
We have made the start in defence system development and we just need encouiragement & resources.

happy

AND
Funny, but your target was not appropriate. Wish DRDO all the best !!

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
................................deleted...............

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles