DRDO Multical Rifle Unveiled

Shaitan

Zandu Balm all day
Mod
Country flag
Hope it does not create logistic problem if i am soldier and i am using 5.56 i dont want to be supplied with 7.62 or 6.8.
They wont get 7.62 just like an IA trooper today carrying an INSAS wont get 7.62.

5.56 will mostly likely continue to be the standard ammo for regular soldiers.

Insurgent zones, mostly like 7.62. Only difference is you're supporting \one rifle, not INSAS, Tavor, M4 and a whole bunch of AK models.

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag
What I read earlier, the barrel change would be done in the Armory, and not on the field.

Infantry would be given 5.56 gun
Squad Automatic Weapon would use 6.8
COIN/CT would use 7.62

Change in the Barrel/Breech/Mag would happen only if a soldier is reassigned. For eg. if an Infantry guy is reassigned to RR or vice versa, or an Infantry guy is given the SAW role in the squad.

pmaitra

What I read earlier, the barrel change would be done in the Armory, and not on the field.

Infantry would be given 5.56 gun
Squad Automatic Weapon would use 6.8
COIN/CT would use 7.62

Change in the Barrel/Breech/Mag would happen only if a soldier is reassigned. For eg. if an Infantry guy is reassigned to RR or vice versa, or an Infantry guy is given the SAW role in the squad.
Why so? Even if calibre change is not the issue. Barrel is changed in the field. We were taught how to change the barrel of a Bren clone, if it overheats. In case of MCIWS, there is additional change of the bolt and magazine, but why only in armory?

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Changing a barrel of same caliber is done in field, But changing a barrel of different cal and other parts in field is not feasible, Because it would require extra logistics of ammo in the field / combat zone, If a unit is moving to CT area the changing of barrel and caliber will be done in advance in unit`s armory so does issue of spare and ammo and there require documentation ..

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag
Why so? Even if calibre change is not the issue. Barrel is changed in the field. We were taught how to change the barrel of a Bren clone, if it overheats. In case of MCIWS, there is additional change of the bolt and magazine, but why only in armory?
I was referring to barrel change between one caliber and the other along with the breech and bolt. Not changing one hot barrel for a colder one, which is the prevalent practice among SAWs.

If you look at this picture, MCIWS in a SAW configuration does seem to have a quick-change barrel which can be swapped out for a cooler barrel without disassembly, when the situation demands.

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag
Yes.

"... FCC required for grenade firing"

Does it come with a miniaturised ballistic computer to gauge the optimum trajectory to accurately fire the air bursting grenades??

Immanuel

Country flag
Infantry should dump the 5.56, I think overall infantry should use 6.8mm, 5.56 should be used for strictly law enforcement i.e police forces. A modern enemy will always deploy bulletproof jackets (they will only get better) and 5.56 or even 7.62 just won't cut it, 6.8mm is the way forward since its ballistics and energy are far better. 7.62 can used for COIN and SF. SF units like to have a delicate foot print espcially for covert ops, any enemy who does a post raid analysis would easily suspect something fishy if 5.56 or 6.8mm rounds are used, since mostly (speaking in genralities) professional forces use 5.56 and 6.8 is very rare in use across the world. Use the AK round and an enemy like Pak would be confused as to who performed the raid (might as well be one of the local militant groups) In such covert ops best to leave a very light foot print.

Immanuel

Country flag
Also its imo silly to have only a 100 rounds per soldier, Dump the 20 round INSAS mag, stick to a 30 round MAG with 29 in mag and 1 in the chamber just like SAS does with their Canadian M-4s, this should keep the spring action soft & reliable. Also more MAGs issued with atleast 6 to 10 i.e 180-300 rounds.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
Also its imo silly to have only a 100 rounds per soldier, Dump the 20 round INSAS mag, stick to a 30 round MAG with 29 in mag and 1 in the chamber just like SAS does with their Canadian M-4s, this should keep the spring action soft & reliable. Also more MAGs issued with atleast 6 to 10 i.e 180-300 rounds.
Sir one target one goli, for some target 3 bust mode. For defence one soldier can stop 5-7 enemy soldiers.
Now you want to give him 180 bullets. Suddenly he will use more ammo per target as in the back of his mind he got more bullets. Then you have to resupply quickly plus more bullets.
Now think of this in lacs multiply the same, you will see the logistic chain problems.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
Just to continue above at the time of war, you have to move double ammo for soldiers, need double storage spac, double carrying capacity(trucks) double fuel and double staff to man it.

so for one soldier you have doule back up staff, without gaining much except the fact that soldiers are using more ammo.

Blood+

Country flag
Infantry should dump the 5.56, I think overall infantry should use 6.8mm, 5.56 should be used for strictly law enforcement i.e police forces. A modern enemy will always deploy bulletproof jackets (they will only get better) and 5.56 or even 7.62 just won't cut it, 6.8mm is the way forward since its ballistics and energy are far better. 7.62 can used for COIN and SF. SF units like to have a delicate foot print espcially for covert ops, any enemy who does a post raid analysis would easily suspect something fishy if 5.56 or 6.8mm rounds are used, since mostly (speaking in genralities) professional forces use 5.56 and 6.8 is very rare in use across the world. Use the AK round and an enemy like Pak would be confused as to who performed the raid (might as well be one of the local militant groups) In such covert ops best to leave a very light foot print.
Not true at all,the 60 grain SS 109 can penetrate 4mm hardened steel plate at ~700 meter when fired at around 910-920 m/sec muzzle velocity.And the Indian 5.56X45 bullets should have better performance than SS 109.

The Fox

Hey guys,

Looking at this gun I have a doubt can the DRDO develop a Semi automatic Sniper Rifle like the Russian Dragunov or the HK G28 or like the Americans who have a large inventory of the Snipers

Blood+

Country flag
Sir one target one goli, for some target 3 bust mode. For defence one soldier can stop 5-7 enemy soldiers.
Now you want to give him 180 bullets. Suddenly he will use more ammo per target as in the back of his mind he got more bullets. Then you have to resupply quickly plus more bullets.
Now think of this in lacs multiply the same, you will see the logistic chain problems.
With due respect sir,yours is a truely ----ed up logic.You want to send a soldier with just a hundred 5.56 ammo!!I almost fell from my chair!!It's just insane to think a soldier should be supplied with just a hundred rounds else he would waste ammo!!We're talking about Indian Army here,and not some sorry arse ragtag irregulars!!There is a reason the soldiers are trained for 18-24 months are taught to follow strict firing disciplines.
And for once stop the 'eik goli eik dusman' bull shit please.How can you guarantee every soldier can fire with 100% accuracy.
Do you even know that US and NATO soldiers usually carry anywhere from 600 upto a 1000+ SS 109 rounds during a LRP mission??Issuing just a hundred 5.56 rounds per soldiers beats the very reason for its development at the first place,no sane commander would pull such a stupid stunt.Heck,each individual IA soldiers carried 25 kg of rifle ammo which would convert to probably 2000+ 5.56 ammo during Kargil conflict if you remember,if that did not create any logistical problem in 1999,then it won't create one in 2014 either.

Blood+

Country flag
Hey guys,

Looking at this gun I have a doubt can the DRDO develop a Semi automatic Sniper Rifle like the Russian Dragunov or the HK G28 or like the Americans who have a large inventory of the Snipers
One small correction: Dragunov SVD is not a sniper rifle,it's a DMR

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag
For peace time patrols standard issue is ±100 rounds. It is completely different when deployment is in a hot zone. Ammo weighs a lot and if soldiers lug around 1000+ round regularly, as you suggest, on top of their 40+kg field gear, it would be the primary reason of fatigue and burnout.

Soldiers can carry much more ammo when deployed in a hot zone as during such deployment, most of the prolonged survival gear is not included in the backpack which balances out the extra ammo weight.

With due respect sir,yours is a truely ----ed up logic.You want to send a soldier with just a hundred 5.56 ammo!!I almost fell from my chair!!It's just insane to think a soldier should be supplied with just a hundred rounds else he would waste ammo!!We're talking about Indian Army here,and not some sorry arse ragtag irregulars!!There is a reason the soldiers are trained for 18-24 months are taught to follow strict firing disciplines.
And for once stop the 'eik goli eik dusman' bull shit please.How can you guarantee every soldier can fire with 100% accuracy.
Do you even know that US and NATO soldiers usually carry anywhere from 600 upto a 1000+ SS 109 rounds during a LRP mission??Issuing just a hundred 5.56 rounds per soldiers beats the very reason for its development at the first place,no sane commander would pull such a stupid stunt.Heck,each individual IA soldiers carried 25 kg of rifle ammo which would convert to probably 2000+ 5.56 ammo during Kargil conflict if you remember,if that did not create any logistical problem in 1999,then it won't create one in 2014 either.

abingdonboy

Country flag
INSAS rifle production has not been shut down at RFI yet. Production is on. It will be shut down later this year, and MCIWS or Tavor will be produced here. Which one will be produced, has not been finalized yet.
Tavor? Why would the Tavor begin to be licence produced in India? This would only make sense if there was an order of 10s if not 100s of thousands coming IWI's way! :confused

abingdonboy

Country flag

first part will create logistic problem, as now the unit will have two additional barrel, plus three kind of magazines and other spear parts which will increase by 3X times. It will also result in them having to have three kind of ammo.
Eg: Soldiers in counter terror will have let say 100 of main bullets 7.62 plus will have one magazine of other.
Those who are at LOC will be facing acute problem of having 7.62mm, plus 5.56mm.............:scared2: :scared2::scared2:
No no, people are jumping to conclusions- getting the wrong idea. Just because this is a multi-cal rifle doesn't mean the units will be swapping the barels/calibre willy nilly every 5 seconds- this will only be done by the unit armorers when needed. As for the logistical nightmare you speak of- hardly, considering the IA is ALREADY operating 2 different AR calibres (7.62 and 5.56) not to mention 2 different magazine types why should the logistical burden be created? In fact the MCIWS should significantly REDUCE the logistical issues as having a standard family of weapons means they will make having stores of accessories and spare parts (bolts, barrels, firing pins etc) simpler as you only have to have the spares for ONE weapon system.

7.62 for COIN ops only.

5.56 for everyone else.

Simple :D

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles