DRDO Multical Rifle Unveiled

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
This Rifle may not be based on INSAS, I will be glad if i am wrong ..

This is shared by Sunny Sir, What it seems this is a custom made AR-15 ..

============

Please Conform, @Twinblade, @sayareakd Sir, and others..

My net is terribly slow to even open this page ..
Kunal sir you know tons about rifles and specially for INSAS then i do, but here are initial observations.

blue color is INSAS old stuff.
Red is new parts much like the Colt modular rilfe

Green are the much needed collapsible iron sight

more like hybrid design INSAS and AR 15 to suit our need based on our experience. Good to see what is learn for INSAS is not lost. :hail:
in all good start..................:hail:

Last edited by a moderator:

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
@sayareakd Sir, There are no AK like gas tube in the site nor kinda rail cover shown in ARDE rifle, But its certainly clear now that this site is well related to ARDE rifle program ..

Also i dont find, the necessity to go after AR-15 design, When its failing under our environment, But this is also possible if ARDE has tied up with colt, As colt too participating in this tender ..

Unless we meet the ARDE / DRDO personal in person in expo, We may not know abt the truth ..

ghost

This is interesting and good news. I hope they retain the transparent/translucent magazine though.
It has translucent/semi transparent magazine from the looks of it

Notice the vertical line visible which would only be in the case of any tranparent or translucent magazine.My GUESS is that instead of plain plastic black colour plastic polymer is used.

Now see some of the similar magazines

HK SEMI TRANSPARENT POLYMER MAG

LANCER SEMI TRANSPARENT MAGAZINE

HERE YOU CAN COMPARE A SIMILAR TRANSLUCENT MAGAZINE WITH OPAQUE ONE

IT would probably look like this

MCIWS MAGAZINE IS LIKE THIS

Last edited:

Jagdish58

Really good development , but will Army or our para forces will go for it ?? or just be happy buying expensive foreign stuff :confused:

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
I think the idea is to make it all black so that it can make an impact just from the looks of it. Last defexpo we were talking to OFB guys and they said all black looks deadly.

jmj_overlord

Really good development , but will Army or our para forces will go for it ?? or just be happy buying expensive foreign stuff :confused:
if the performance of the rifle is good then our forces can definitely go for it. Even though the rifle looks like a mix of insas and western rifles, drdo is coming up with new equipment and innovations nowadays........good move

ghost

As per the media reports it is probably involved in on going trial of assault rifles.Even if it is not the best among them but is able to just pass the trials it would be selected as per our defence acquisition policy according to which a foreign system can only be imported if it is clear that nothing similar can be made in home.Hence this rifle will automatically get the preference over others it does not have to be the best just good enough to pass the trials and it would be adopted.

ghost

if the performance of the rifle is good then our forces can definitely go for it. Even though the rifle looks like a mix of insas and western rifles, drdo is coming up with new equipment and innovations nowadays........good move
Particularly the build quality of the rifle is a sight of relief DRDO now seem to comes of age regarding small arms.

debasree

Country flag
hope it will pass the test & become operational next year...but i fear our videshi product loving army brass give it nod

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
It is clear that FINSAS and multi caliber rifles are two different project. Famous poster of Ajay Shukla which shows FINSAS poster pic also shows multi caliber on AR style now with new pics it is clear what that pic was.
some please post that pic i cant post it because i am on mobile.

ghost

It is clear that FINSAS and multi caliber rifles are two different project. Famous poster of Ajay Shukla which shows FINSAS poster pic also shows multi caliber on AR style now with new pics it is clear what that pic was.
some please post that pic i cant post it because i am on mobile.
You are probably talking about this pic but it was just a demo representative pic it is no where similar to the original design.

Blood+

Country flag
@Kunal da,don't you think that this new multi cal ar should be fitted with a short stroke gas piston like used in the FN SCAR or HK 416 instead of the long stroke one.The long stroke piston is heavier and it has the disadvantage of disruption of the
point of aim due to the center of
mass changing during the action
cycle, and energetic and abrupt
stops at the beginning and end of
bolt carrier travel.

On the other hand, a short stroke piston
has the advantage of reducing
the total mass of recoiling parts
compared to the long-stroke
piston. This, in turn, enables
better control of the weapon due
to less mass needing to be
stopped at either end of the bolt
carrier travel.

I would like have your views wrt this matter.

THANKS.........

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
You are probably talking about this pic but it was just a demo representative pic it is no where similar to the original design.

Thanks Ghost i am talking about the pic at the top. @Kunal Biswas sir.
it also shows different barrals.
this is original design it undetwnt few changes and they got market but stock etc.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador

No fun without posting picture ..

===================

Indeed that would be a good innovation, But again is this put in requirement ?, I hope they do so ..

@Kunal da,don't you think that this new multi cal ar should be fitted with a short stroke gas piston like used in the FN SCAR or HK 416 instead of the long stroke one.The long stroke piston is heavier and it has the disadvantage of disruption of the
point of aim due to the center of
mass changing during the action
cycle, and energetic and abrupt
stops at the beginning and end of
bolt carrier travel.

On the other hand, a short stroke piston
has the advantage of reducing
the total mass of recoiling parts
compared to the long-stroke
piston. This, in turn, enables
better control of the weapon due
to less mass needing to be
stopped at either end of the bolt
carrier travel.

I would like have your views wrt this matter.

THANKS.........

shuvo@y2k10

Country flag
seems like anticipating the army's growing interest in videshi maal over swadeshi maal drdo has designed this rifle to look like a videshi maal so that army inducts it quickly.:rofl::laugh::rofl:

Global Defence

New threads

Articles