DRDO, PSU and Private Defence Sector News

porky_kicker

Country flag
EE1XrKhX4AA7hrj.jpeg

I wonder why the heck HAL has started building up LCHs considering till now no CMDS , RWR , MAWS , DIRCMS etc have been integrated on LCH ( no official word or any evidence on the same )

This requires airframe modifications and thus extensive tests in wind tunnels and in-flight to ensure minimum aerodynamic interactions and best possible coverage etc.

Except for DIRCMS everything is available from Rudra , still no forethought on installing the same.

LCH will be a sitting duck to SAMs and MANPADs without all these.

Half baked approach like this from morons incharge puts indigenous products in danger of rejection.

I am waiting for the inevitable drama on LCH to unfold in the future.

Last edited:

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
View attachment 38727

I wonder why the heck HAL has started building up LCHs considering till now no CMDS , RWR , MAWS , DIRCMS etc have been integrated on LCH ( no official word or any evidence on the same )

This requires airframe modifications and thus extensive tests in wind tunnels and in-flight to ensure minimum aerodynamic interactions and best possible coverage etc.

Except for DIRCMS everything is available from Rudra , still no forethought on installing the same.

LCH will be a sitting duck to SAMs and MANPADs without all these.

Half baked approach like this from morons incharge puts indigenous products in danger of rejection.

I am waiting for the inevitable drama on LCH to unfold in the future.
Not much design difference between Dhruv & Rudra... They will the slap the thing on it.

LCH already has radar, laser, missiles approach warning sensors & CMDS. Just DIRCMS needs to be added.

porky_kicker

Country flag
Not much design difference between Dhruv & Rudra... They will the slap the thing on it.

LCH already has radar, laser, missiles approach warning sensors & CMDS. Just DIRCMS needs to be added.
They have been installed on LCH ?

porky_kicker

Country flag
P8I sonar sensor, sans outer sleeve and power source?

Purely a guess based on some news report on P8I some years back...
Not related to P8i sensor suite , complete indigenous product and different purpose

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
They have been installed on LCH ?
"The LCH is fitted with Self Protection Suite consisting of Radar/Laser Missile warning systems & Countermeasures dispensing system."
-www.business-standard.com/article/news-ani/army-chief-general-bipin-rawat-flies-hal-s-light-combat-helicopter-tejas-119022101195_1.html

"...while the DRDO’s Bangalore-based Defence Avionics Research Establishment (DARE) is developing the defensive aids suite, which includes a combined radar/laser warning system (this being SaabTech’s MILDS AR-60V2) and Bharat Dynamics Ltd-developed countermeasures dispensers. HAL LCH sports an Electronic Warfare Suite and a state-of-the-art sensor suite which includes electronic warfare suite with a radar warning receiver, laser warning receiver and missile approach warning system."
-www.aerojournalindia.com/enews/?p=2922

I don't think every one of these will be wrong... Nor will India's nitpicky armed-forces overlook such a shortcoming & give IOC or place orders.
Personally I think most them are probably inside the body to enhance stealth, unlike Rudra whose hollow body is kept empty.. (right?)

Last edited:

porky_kicker

Country flag
"The LCH is fitted with Self Protection Suite consisting of Radar/Laser Missile warning systems & Countermeasures dispensing system."
-www.business-standard.com/article/news-ani/army-chief-general-bipin-rawat-flies-hal-s-light-combat-helicopter-tejas-119022101195_1.html

"...while the DRDO’s Bangalore-based Defence Avionics Research Establishment (DARE) is developing the defensive aids suite, which includes a combined radar/laser warning system (this being SaabTech’s MILDS AR-60V2) and Bharat Dynamics Ltd-developed countermeasures dispensers. HAL LCH sports an Electronic Warfare Suite and a state-of-the-art sensor suite which includes electronic warfare suite with a radar warning receiver, laser warning receiver and missile approach warning system."
-www.aerojournalindia.com/enews/?p=2922

I don't think every one of these will be wrong... Nor will India's nitpicky armed-forces overlook such a shortcoming & give IOC or place orders.
Personally I think they are probably inside the body unlike Rudra, whose inside is hollow.. (right?)
Well frankly no idea , never saw a single pic or came across a single official documentation that confirms the same has been installed or trialled.

My question was why is HAL is starting production of LCH if some systems are yet to be integrated and tested.

Maybe they will integrate and test it before FOC.

Unrelated to your post

Now I am kind of sorry for raising the issue :doh: , I will stick to posting pics henceforth.

My situation be like begane shadi me Abdullah dewana :scared2:

Those who are in charge let them worry.
Me :daru: and :rotfl:

Last edited:

laughingbuddha

Country flag
I have not not across any info on IN having any anti submarine missile like Veter or Stallion in its inventory. Do we have something similar?

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
I have not not across any info on IN having any anti submarine missile like Veter or Stallion in its inventory. Do we have something similar?
No, the tech is more or less obsolete. Nowadays ASW homing-torpedoes are used instead, at least in the western navies.

Although Indian ship still uses the Soviet RBU-6000. You may have noticed this one on most Indian ships (but mostly used as anti-torpedo than anti-submarine):
768px-RBU_6000.JPG

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
No, the tech is more or less obsolete. Nowadays ASW homing-torpedoes are used instead, at least in the western navies.

Although Indian ship still uses the Soviet RBU-6000. You may have noticed this one on most Indian ships (but mostly used as anti-torpedo than anti-submarine):View attachment 38743
Ok I was wrong! I just remembered a ARDE/DRDO had been developing a ASW rocket with 8.5km range, against existing rocket (rocket assisted depth-charge) RGB-60's 5km.

It was in trials as of 2018, @porky_kicker may be able to tell more about its present status...

Chinmoy

Country flag
@Chinmoy

What about the possibility that the 4 windows are for firing the EFP warhead mounted on a gimballed system with prefixed 4 firing positions ?

If so it could be for the AAD missiles for engaging 5000km class ballistic targets
Exactly my thought.

Please enter a message with at least 30 characters.

uoftotaku

Country flag
Ok I was wrong! I just remembered a ARDE/DRDO had been developing a ASW rocket with 8.5km range, against existing rocket (rocket assisted depth-charge) RGB-60's 5km.

It was in trials as of 2018, @porky_kicker may be able to tell more about its present status...
You must remember the context; that IN has been forced to operate in for the last couple of decades with a dwindling and obsolete fleet of ASW helicopters. In the absence of helos, the RBU-6000 was the only means of offense against an enemy submarine in the critical 2nm zone around the ship. In the future, as the new choppers come into service in numbers, we will see the RBU's utility diminish and the launchers removed to make space for additional VLS. But for now at least, they remain necessary

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
You must remember the context; that IN has been forced to operate in for the last couple of decades with a dwindling and obsolete fleet of ASW helicopters. In the absence of helos, the RBU-6000 was the only means of offense against an enemy submarine in the critical 2nm zone around the ship. In the future, as the new choppers come into service in numbers, we will see the RBU's utility diminish and the launchers removed to make space for additional VLS. But for now at least, they remain necessary
Yeah, regarding that.. anti-submarine rockets should be advanced, not discarded!
Greatest challenge to submarines today are ASW-helicopters from ships & Anti-submarine patrol aircrafts... Both being slow & unmaneuverable targets, submarines carrying some Akash-NG could easily make them serious threat from sitting ducks they are now.

Raising up a radar connected with wire (like towed-array or helicopter's sonars) shouldn't be too difficult.

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles