DRDO, PSU and Private Defence Sector News

Enquirer

SAM, AAM or even Ballistic missiles for that have two distinct phases. Power On, where the thrust is there by engine burn out. Then comes a Power Off or stall phase where the engine thrusts are cut off and the missile simply carry on its earlier momentum gained by Power On mode. The pulsed rocket motor is the prime example.
So, the total range of SFDR (power ON & power OFF) will be greater than 340kms??

Chinmoy

Country flag
So, the total range of SFDR (power ON & power OFF) will be greater than 340kms??
Seems so as said by @NeXoft007 . But lets wait for its tests first.

Akash takes a full PowerOn flight and it has limited its range to 30ish km. Now as we know, the Akash NG has been designed with a dual pulse rocket motor rather then the Ramjet sustainer which would result in a range of 50 Km as per report.

samsaptaka

तस्मात् उत्तिष्ठ कौन्तेय युद्धाय कृतनिष्चय
Country flag
Copypaste from BRF a post by indranil.
All credit to indranil.

In the last decade, we have gone:
1. from no antitank missiles to Nag (induction), Helina(user trials), SANT (developer trials) and MPATGM (developer trials)
2. from Akash S2A missile to Akash Mk1 (inducted), Akash Mk1S (developer trials), Akash NG(prototype manufacturing), LRSAM/MRSAM (inducted), QRSAM (developer trials), XRSAM (design)
3. from no A2A missile to Astra Mk1 (user trials), Astra Mk2 (design), SFDR (developer trials)
4. from no antiradiation missile to NGARM (developer trials)
5. from Dhruv Mk1 to Dhruv MkIII (inducted), Rudra(inducted), LCH(LSP), LUH (LSP), IMRH (design)
6. from no 152mm artillery guns to Sarang (ordered), Dhanush(ordered), two ATAGS (undergoing field tests)
7. from no ABM to Ashwin (second generation design and testing), PDV (third generation design and testing), AD1 (design), AD2 (design), ASAT (proven).
8. from no PGMs to pgms from 125 kgs to 1000kgs, from 30 km to 100 km ranges.
9. World class combat gear.
10. Ships: too many to list (yes production rate is slow).
11. Strategic missiles: too many to list.
12. Radar systems: too many to list.
13. military vehicles: too many to list.

Frankly, today, DRDO can take on the design of any missile or radar system and complete it in 5-10 years. be it a shoulder launched anti air missile or a short range A2A missile. We have crossed the threshold. Similarly HAL can take on a helicopter design and finish it in 10-15 years. Navy design bureau take up design of any ship and finish it in 10-15 years. All these are world class products in world class time. Yeah production rates require focus.

We have yet to turn the leaf on combat aircraft, UAVs, tanks, fire-arms, attack submarines, all terrain TEL, civil and transport aircraft.

On the first four we are about 5 years away from reaching that critical mass. The latter four, I don't have a good feeling. At least 15 years away.

Sent from my C103 using Tapatalk
I thought Astra-mk1 is already inducted ?

IndianHawk

Country flag
According to DRDO, the XRSAM very long range surface to air missile system has entered the test phase.

This puts pressure on both Russia and Israel regarding technology transfer of s400 and Barak SAM. There will be no repeat orders for both of they don't step up their game.

It also paves way for India s300 type integrated air defence with akash ,akash Ng , Barak and XRSAM layers . Much cheap and mass produced to defend entire borders and costs along with all major cities / military camps.

Sent from my C103 using Tapatalk

Okabe Rintarou

Country flag
SMART is new thing never heard of it nor any navy has this kind of missile ,650KM range,the drdo developing X Band radars would be most probably used for target acquisition
How do you use X-band radars to locate enemy submarines?
I think the philosophy behind this huge range is to use a central ASW fleet of Kamorta armed with SMART and MRSV/LHD armed with multiple ASW helicopters. The inner-most ring will be surveyed by the SONARs of the fleet. The medium-ring will be surveyed by Submarines and ASW helicopters. The outer-ring will be surveyed by the MALE UAV and P-8I Poseidon. The target once identified will be engaged by SMART fired from a Kamorta. SMART, being supersonic will reach the target area quickly and deploy the torpedo. Now I wonder if the torpedo on SMART is Shenya or some other torpedo?

Nice. These are 155mm. Do we have a figure for the numbers required yet? These would be for Mountain Formations. Plains already have their own requirement for 814 guns. Now the mountain arty brigades are all set to go 1 Medium Regt. + 2 Light Regt. Maybe later they will upgrade the light regts. with a lighter, towed version of Kalyani ULH. BTW, does anyone know how many 160 mm and 120 mm mortars we have in Mountain Arty Regts.

aarav

जय परशुराम‍।
Country flag
How do you use X-band radars to locate enemy submarines?
I think the philosophy behind this huge range is to use a central ASW fleet of Kamorta armed with SMART and MRSV/LHD armed with multiple ASW helicopters. The inner-most ring will be surveyed by the SONARs of the fleet. The medium-ring will be surveyed by Submarines and ASW helicopters. The outer-ring will be surveyed by the MALE UAV and P-8I Poseidon. The target once identified will be engaged by SMART fired from a Kamorta. SMART, being supersonic will reach the target area quickly and deploy the torpedo. Now I wonder if the torpedo on SMART is Shenya or some other torpedo?

Nice. These are 155mm. Do we have a figure for the numbers required yet? These would be for Mountain Formations. Plains already have their own requirement for 814 guns. Now the mountain arty brigades are all set to go 1 Medium Regt. + 2 Light Regt. Maybe later they will upgrade the light regts. with a lighter, towed version of Kalyani ULH. BTW, does anyone know how many 160 mm and 120 mm mortars we have in Mountain Arty Regts.
Torpedoes aren't just for submarines ,they can also take out surface ships but for now it's just in design phase ,but could be game changer against Chinese Carrier battle groups

Okabe Rintarou

Country flag
Torpedoes aren't just for submarines ,they can also take out surface ships but for now it's just in design phase ,but could be game changer against Chinese Carrier battle groups
Light weight torpedoes are easier to defend against than missiles. You can maneuver away, fire ASW rockets, use active decoys, etc. To add to that, you want to fire this torpedo from a missile and expect the missile to deliver the warhead a few thousand meters away from the warship. That would mean that you want to defeat all the layers of the warship by the traditional means (missile) and then you want to plunge into the sea at CIWS range to deliver a slow warhead that can be easier to evade than if the same missile sped on and slammed into the warship's hull? And you imagine this will work against carrier battlegroups? Can you see how ridiculous that sounds?

aarav

जय परशुराम‍।
Country flag
Light weight torpedoes are easier to defend against than missiles. You can maneuver away, fire ASW rockets, use active decoys, etc. To add to that, you want to fire this torpedo from a missile and expect the missile to deliver the warhead a few thousand meters away from the warship. That would mean that you want to defeat all the layers of the warship by the traditional means (missile) and then you want to plunge into the sea at CIWS range to deliver a slow warhead that can be easier to evade than if the same missile sped on and slammed into the warship's hull? And you imagine this will work against carrier battlegroups? Can you see how ridiculous that sounds?
Only credible defence against torpedoes is towed decoys and submarines also have that and it's surely won't be light weight torpedo with this large range ,it could be a variant of varun astra which was recently ordered,the Russian have a rocket powered supercavitating torpedoe VA-111shkval capable of cruising at 370 kmph underwater which could also have nuclear warhead

Craigs

Country flag
Saturation attacks against Paki subs if they come close enough to launch their nuclear tipped cruise missiles. The range of the ASROC mean that they cannot risk coming too close. If they launch their missiles from a distance, it will be taken down by marine caps.

Suryavanshi

Cheeni KLPDhokebaaz
View attachment 36419

This one gives the closest idea of something, so that one can get a idea of the real thing ( near close enough ) of India's most guarded secret.

I will say I am impressed kind of.

Guess all you want as to what it may be....
Super soldier project :bounce: jk

There is manually controlled valves and a indicator beside them.
Also two microphones.

Is this Nuclear Launch Command and control centre.

porky_kicker

Country flag
Was going through the comments regarding SMART.

SMART will rely on standoff offboard targetting info from ASW helicopters , MPA and satellites ( yes you heard it right , DRDO funded academic programs are looking at developing technologies which will allow satellites to detect submerged submarines )

Also autonomous torpedoes search track localisation and homing maneuvers are different from what one sees in a wire guided torpedo. It involves very complex maneuvers spanning a considerable large area.

SMART simply needs to deliver the torpedo ASAP to last known location of submarine ( it is to be equipped with data link to keep it updated with tracked target till last possible moment ) , after splash down of autonomous torpedo , the torpedo will initiate pre-programmed maneuvers to coverage a large area. It will continue search untill contact or battery runs out.

Last edited:

Gautam Sarkar

Country flag
Was going through the comments regarding SMART.

SMART will rely on standoff offboard targetting info from ASW helicopters , MPA and satellites ( yes you heard it right , DRDO funded academic programs are looking at developing technologies which will allow satellites to detect submerged submarines )

Also autonomous torpedoes search track localisation and homing maneuvers are different from what one sees in a wire guided torpedo. It involves very complex maneuvers spanning a considerable large area.

SMART simply needs to deliver the torpedo ASAP to last known location of submarine ( it is to be equipped with data link to keep it updated with tracked target till last possible moment ) , after splash down of autonomous torpedo , the torpedo will initiate pre-programmed maneuvers to coverage a large area. It will continue search untill contact or battery runs out.
So you are saying the 50-650 km range as was written in the MoD Annual paper wasn't a typo ? I assumed it to a typo for 65 kms.
If that is the case it would be a very unique system with no international counterparts. The American ASROC for example has a range of 22-25 kms only.
I do worry about the range and speed of the Shyena LWT. Most international lightweight torpedoes have 10-15 km range, where as the Shyena has just 7 km range. Also most LWT have a speed of 40-45 knots, Shyena is at 33 knots.
I do hope we will improve the propulsion set in its next version.

Enquirer

So you are saying the 50-650 km range as was written in the MoD Annual paper wasn't a typo ? I assumed it to a typo for 65 kms.
If that is the case it would be a very unique system with no international counterparts. The American ASROC for example has a range of 22-25 kms only.
I do worry about the range and speed of the Shyena LWT. Most international lightweight torpedoes have 10-15 km range, where as the Shyena has just 7 km range. Also most LWT have a speed of 40-45 knots, Shyena is at 33 knots.
I do hope we will improve the propulsion set in its next version.
An Advanced version of Shyena (with 25kms range at 25knots & 12kms range at 50knots) is already going through tests.

The range of 650kms is not impossible to make. Ultimately it all depends on the operational setup. long endurance drones like Sea Guardian will help in a big way.

Any detection instrument on aerial platform (including some purported satellite???) will only detect surface or close to surface subs. Deep submerged sub detection via an aerial platform will require sonobuoys (highly doubt technology exists for a satellite to directly detect deep submerged subs.......some kind of permanent sonobuoys could communicate directly to satellites though).

As I said, it the elaborate arrangement for detection that'll be the logistical challenge....building a longer and longer range rocket to encompass a torpedo is kinda trivial task!

All of the above is again a testament to my earlier suggestion (in another post) that P8s are not a cost-effective solution for continuous monitoring!!!! Drones, Sonobuoys, Satellites, SMART torpedos are!

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles