DRDO, PSU and Private Defence Sector News

Advaidhya Tiwari

yes normal HE and many other shell will be no problems.

Is it the barrel or chamber you are discussing ? both have different connotations and effect on range?
I am saying that barrel length and chamber both matter. Athos has longer barrel but not strong enough chamber and hence it is not much better than Dhanush

Chinmoy

Country flag
Soon after India's ATAGS shoots the longest range, a US gun beats it
https://www.business-standard.com/a...t-range-a-us-gun-beats-it-118102000815_1.html

Last September, the Kalyani Group and Tata Power (Strategic Engineering Division) claimed world records by firing their in-development artillery guns to a distance of over 47 km. Their Advanced Towed Artillery Gun System (ATAGS) comfortably surpassed the maximum ranges of 40-45 km, currently achieved by similar 155-millimetre, 52-calibre guns in service worldwide.

However, a new American artillery gun is comfortably surpassing ATAGS. Also known by an acronym, the Extended Range Cannon Artillery (ERCA) has achieved a mind-boggling range of 62 km. That doubles the range of the gun the ...

One should really slap these journos hard enough for peddling half and twisted truth.

ERCA is an independent program for increasing the range of shells by incorporating unconventional techniques like RAMJET and all whereas M777ER is independent program of modifying the current gun to fire shells to a longer range.

But these journos just mixed up both the programs and peddled a twisted fact.

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
One should really slap these journos hard enough for peddling half and twisted truth.

ERCA is an independent program for increasing the range of shells by incorporating unconventional techniques like RAMJET and all whereas M777ER is independent program of modifying the current gun to fire shells to a longer range.

But these journos just mixed up both the programs and peddled a twisted fact.
Yes M777ER was started since after a requirement arose for shells like EXCALIBUR from 155 Gns / Hows to be fired. It is shell improvement centric programme directed at using shells like Course correction fuzed shells, GPS guided shells ram jet, base bleed etc.
ERCA is directed at gun improvement for range enhancement like increased in length of the barrel.
Correct me if I am wrong.

Last edited:

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
I am saying that barrel length and chamber both matter. Athos has longer barrel but not strong enough chamber and hence it is not much better than Dhanush
Please come to the point and do not jump from Ramayana to Mahabharata and vice versa.
Do you mean Dhanus has larger chamber capacity than ATHOS?
Stronger chamber has no meaning unless it has more space for propellent charges and expansion of gases.

Advaidhya Tiwari

Please come to the point and do not jump from Ramayana to Mahabharata and vice versa.
Do you mean Dhanus has larger chamber capacity than ATHOS?
Stronger chamber has no meaning unless it has more space for propellent charges and expansion of gases.
Yes, I mean that Dhanush ha larger chamber capacity

Chinmoy

Country flag
Yes M777ER was started since after a requirement arose for shells like EXCALIBUR from 155 Gns / Hows to be fired. It is shell improvement centric programme directed at using shells like Course correction fuzed shells, GPS guided shells ram jet, base bleed etc.
ERCA is directed at gun improvement for range enhancement like increased in length of the barrel.
Correct me if I am wrong.
You are right except ERCA, Extended Range Cannon Artillery, is program to design shells to reach range of like 100+ km and M777 ER is the project to modify the gun to fire shells to longer range.

But no where M777 ER is associated with firing up to range of 100km as reported by the article.

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
You are right except ERCA, Extended Range Cannon Artillery, is program to design shells to reach range of like 100+ km and M777 ER is the project to modify the gun to fire shells to longer range.

But no where M777 ER is associated with firing up to range of 100km as reported by the article.
Ok. Thanks..............................

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
I don't have a reference but that is the only explanation I ca see why 52 Athos fires for 41km while 45 Dhanush fires for 38km despite 16% shorter barrel
I far I know both have 23 ltr chambers and ATGS has 15 ltrs.

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
ATGS has a chamber of 25 ltrs....
If you are here finding typos and mounting a ridicule on that then go and ..[Redacted].. rather than trying to prove that a gun archives longer range if it is stronger barrel..

Last edited by a moderator:

Country flag
ATGS has a chamber of 25 ltrs....
If you are here finding typos and mounting a ridicule on that then go and better fuck yourself rather than trying to prove that a gun archives longer range if it is stronger barrel..
Sir ATAGS has a chamber volume of 27 liters, this was revealed by Baba Kalyani himself.
The more volume is because It has been designed to fire Nuclear 155mm shells tested in Pokhran in 1998 in addition to other conventional artillery shells of the same caliber.

Country flag
I far I know both have 23 ltr chambers and ATGS has 15 ltrs.
Also Dhanush has a 25 liter chamber volume, and 45 cal. barrel length. The 52 cal. version will also have same chamber volume.

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
Sir ATAGS has a chamber volume of 27 liters, this was revealed by Baba Kalyani himself.
The more volume is because It has been designed to fire Nuclear 155mm shells tested in Pokhran in 1998 in addition to other conventional artillery shells of the same caliber.
ATAGS is 25 ltr chamber :capacity : as compared to 23 ltrs of other guns.
https://www.drdo.gov.in/drdo/pub/npc/2017/september/din-07september2017.pdf
and
https://www.thehindubusinessline.co...ogramme-on-high-trajectory/article9854276.ece

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
155 mm Nuc shell tested at Pokhran in 1998 ? Are you sure ?
Theoretically or otherwise a 152 mm Howitzer (Russian guns) and 155 mm NATO standard Howitzer all can fire nuclear shells.
But you do not need larger chamber capacity to fire a nuclear shell. Larger chamber means more BMC or other propellent which means more range. That is it.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles