DRDO, PSU and Private Defence Sector News

cyclops

Country flag
IMG_20190408_130027.jpg

According to India's Ministry of Defence, 3 sets of the MANIK Small Turbofan Engine developed by @DRDO_India are to be integrated with the Nirbhay cruise missile for testing. The integration work is being done by Brahmos Aerospace Thiruvananthapuram Limited

Advaidhya Tiwari

I meant instead of high end seekers, if low cost seekers be made? Wouldn't G force required for mortar shell lesser than artillery shell? Apologize for my ignorance. Just had a thought.
The whole point of having mortar is to have cheap ammunition for mass attack. So, we make the shells from metals and fire them like bullets. If we have to do things like weld sensors, wires, get circuit board and microchips coated with insulation (mortars travel at several mach speed and can heat up fast), it will be very expensive. The expense of the seeker is not due to the expense of the material to make it but the labour and time needed.

garg_bharat

Country flag
Post Kargil, all IAF wanted was more M2Ks but since the then leadership lacked spine, feared a corrupt to boot bureaucracy will do a Bofors with or without the will of political masters and the result is for all of us to see. That drama is still continuing to this day and it's bleeding 2019 now with no end in sight. Hundreds of pilots lost because political class was busy saving it's own ass.
Modi took a very risky (politically) decision to order Rafale despite advice to drop the deal. Shows that a government can support military if it wants, though it is not easy. Ordering M2K at this point makes no sense.

I think India should buy ex Japan F-15s; all 100 of them. Let us see if it works. 21 Mig-29 from Russia and 100 F-15 from Japan can be a windfall for IAF.

sthf

Country flag
Modi took a very risky (politically) decision to order Rafale despite advice to drop the deal. Shows that a government can support military if it wants, though it is not easy. Ordering M2K at this point makes no sense.
1) M2Ks have been out of production for more than a decade.

2) Buying used M2Ks makes sense because IAF already operates M2K therefore everything needed to operate them is in place i.e infrastructure, trained manpower and experience.

I think India should buy ex Japan F-15s; all 100 of them. Let us see if it works. 21 Mig-29 from Russia and 100 F-15 from Japan can be a windfall for IAF.
This has to be the most absurd thing I have read on DFI and I have read plenty. From the looks of it you are a senior member. You should know better.

Why would anyone in their right mind procure an old, very expensive to maintain and operate F-15 when IAF never operated the type, doesn't have the training or infrastructure to use them? Plus, IAF already operates MKI, a twin engined, heavy fighter. Mig-29s just like M2Ks will add value to IAF unlike F-15s.

There is a reason why most people would rather buy a new Honda City than a 15 year old Mercedes S-Class.

garg_bharat

Country flag
1) M2Ks have been out of production for more than a decade.

2) Buying used M2Ks makes sense because IAF already operates M2K therefore everything needed to operate them is in place i.e infrastructure, trained manpower and experience.

Why would anyone in their right mind procure an old, very expensive to maintain and operate F-15 when IAF never operated the type, doesn't have the training or infrastructure to use them? Plus, IAF already operates MKI, a twin engined, heavy fighter. Mig-29s just like M2Ks will add value to IAF unlike F-15s.

There is a reason why most people would rather buy a new Honda City than a 15 year old Mercedes S-Class.
India is most vulnerable in the next 4-5 years. Possible M2K has better synergy with IAF but only America has massive defence industries to support India in case of an all out war with China.

There is a delay of around 10 years in MMRCA program due to various reasons. Remember India's enemies won't wait for India to acquire fighters.

F-15 may be expensive to maintain BUT is a formidable fighter. IAF needs a stop-gap and needs it fast.

garg_bharat

Country flag
India needs to beef up its fighter inventory in very short term. Su-30 is good but is weak in air-to-air weapons.
Rafale is good in both radar and weapons but we cannot have enough; not as many as needed.
M2K will not do as its radar and weapons will fall short.
Japanese F-15 are not stored planes. These are active well maintained updated planes. Means you can fight with them immediately.

Of course my logic does not mean IAF will buy. We shall see how it works. IAF may be able to get 100 F-15 ex Jap for less than price of 36 Rafales.

sthf

Country flag
India is most vulnerable in the next 4-5 years. Possible M2K has better synergy with IAF but only America has massive defence industries to support India in case of an all out war with China.

There is a delay of around 10 years in MMRCA program due to various reasons. Remember India's enemies won't wait for India to acquire fighters.

F-15 may be expensive to maintain BUT is a formidable fighter. IAF needs a stop-gap and needs it fast.
Do you have any and I mean any source for this dog egg of a post or did I miss the Akashvani from the heavens above?

Since India is in imminent danger, I guess, in my humblest of opinions India should also buy 3 Nimitz class supercarriers, 6 Virginia (or Yasen if you want to go Russian) class subs and at least half a dozen America class along with 200 F-35s.

1000 or so M1A2/3 will help the Indian Army immensely. So I think we can add them as well to the shopping list.

Until that can be arranged India should also ask for Tornadoes to complement F-15s and 200 F-18s to go with the aircraft carriers.

Last edited:

porky_kicker

Country flag
DRDO has progressed on development of 100 kilowatt solid state laser system to destroy missiles in the boost phase.

Plus work on S band MILO for HPM has gone to next stage ( don't know what next stage means ). Previously i posted here pic of the DRDO experimental S band MILO setup.

porky_kicker

Country flag
9218501_471544680625821cb7317b_jpeg4b3ec77fc97bc47d6dc06d972c1423ee.jpeg

I had previously posted this pic and which was then posted on twitter where as usual some ' knowledgeable Indians ' were peddling bullshitting . I want to clarify , if the above said network centric features are incorporated into LCA MK1A , then after rafale it will be the only fighter aircraft to possess such network centric capabilities like self forming and healing , multi hop automatic relay / routing, QoS etc.

One comedian named Sancho was saying such network centric capabilities are present in jf17 , lol even Chinese fighters don't have such advanced network centric features.

Also SU30MKI does not possess such features , it never had a SDR, procurement for the Software Defined Radio (SDR)/Operational Data Link (ODL) project was signed on July 2017 for Israeli BNET-AR. And AFAIK I don't think they are operational as of now , few may have been installed though. It is a very time consuming process.

Last edited:

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
Another 5 years of this nonsense? How many 10s of billions of USD will be spent in that time on this imported maal?

Another 18 months is all that should be permitted then its game over.
Like hell !

Another 30 years and DRDO will not deliver any MPATGM.
If delivered it will have 700 meters as minimum range and it will not reach near the target due to "temperature".
This system has all the makings of meeting INSAS fate.
It is better for DRDO to focus on hitting the Mars rather than a tank !
The missile hitting Mars will not be tested by Army, so there would not be any problem. Some Padma awards may also follow.

Chinmoy

Country flag
Model of HPR ..................

I thought LRDE had developed the same , there was a PDF too with details , so why is IAI involved ?

View attachment 34245

Picture credit delhidefencereview Flickr page,
https://www.flickr.com/photos/delhidefencereview/albums , plz visit and subscribe to show support.
After 12 numbers has been cleared for procurement in 2018, TASL and L&T also jumped into the participation. L&T formed a JV with IAI and TASL has one with Thales. LRDE has invited companies for ToT, but not sure who has responded to that.

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
No, it is a logical question.
ATAGS is not a technological backwardness.
Neither you can say Dhanush is a joke.
ATAGS is in the acceptance process and will be accepted as per plans / procedures.
Dhanus has alraedy started induction, so what makes you think it is a jokel
Indian Army has honoured it by giving an order of 114.
Indian Army's requirement is about 400 of towed guns.
DRDO need to upgrade Dhanus to 155/52 caliber. If they can make ATAGS then why can they make Dhanus 52 caliber gun. They can.
First tell me what time GCF and Medak factories will take to deliver 114 guns?
Why does DRDO need an order ten years in advance?
Why is Dhanush costlier when there is no ToT cost, not much development cost ?
Buying / selling is an economic activity paid by the taxpayer, it is not "patriotism" that will sell Dhanush but quality, quantity and cost. OK. make it competitive.

]quote]Instead of WASTING YES WASTING Dollars on buying the same capability gun, better we INVEST on making high technology shells as well as fuses. [/quote}

What is so great about dollars? Those are available in plenty.

Ok for the sake of dollars the MoD should buy more expensive things to ensure that OFB keep their largie, corruption and jobs. Let financial propriety, prudence, economy, CAG, Parliamentary answerability be dumped.
into dust for DRDO / OFB.

If INDIAN ARMY DO GO WITH THIS ORDER IN NO PART OF MY MIND I WILL BRAND IT IMPORT ARMY.
So Indian Army should buy things at your terms and conditions? You must be nuts.

If you don't have gun then you want to do import, if you have gun then you come with capacity problem, ya tomorrow we are going on WW3.
Looks like "ghee mein jabardasti ungli dalna hi hai chahe kaise bhi".
Indian Army / GoI last procured guns around 1986. So for 34 years there were no imports, no making no baking - nothing. Indian Army was kept at bay but you have cheeks to blame them for every thing.
Where were you for 34 years? Did you develop or make any gun, any new fuze, any artillery technology ? Things are imported when firstly you do not make any things or your making cost is is beyond solar system. Capacity problem is your problem where is Indian Army involved in your management ? No one on earth will accept 114 Guns to be delivered over ten years.

Armies all over the world do function on the premise that WWIII will be tomorrow. Otherwise why keep 14 lakh standing army? Army like DRDO and OFB is not a social justice force. Disband them and put them a labour in Ordinance factories if you know the date of WWIII. .

Have you not forced Indian Army to stand guard on Indian borders with dundas in their hand.

All arguments smack of irrationality, impracticability and prejudices loaded with a lots of crap. There seems to be an irresistible itch to foul mouth Indian army. you need "bichhu ghas" for that khujali. Logic seems to have run away from your arguments.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles