Dragon's threat makes Sikkim suffer

SpArK

SORCERER

KOLKATA: Nearly a week after the September 18 earthquake in Sikkim, relief hasn't yet reached the interior areas of this tiny state. Reason: The state lacks infrastructure, particularly roads and airfields, which would have speeded up succour to the people of the state.

Advanced landing grounds and roads had not been developed as mandarins in Delhi feared such infrastructure would help the Chinese over-run the region in the event of a repetition of the 1962 border conflict.

The Air Force is still finding it difficult to move men and equipment to the worstaffected areas.Eastern Air Command sources said mobilization would have been faster had the IAF managed to land AN-32 or a similar large transport aircraft close to Mangan, Chungthang or Lachung.

"Delhi woke up from its slumber only recently to realize that infrastructure development is required in the northeast. This shift from its Pakistan-centric approach has led to development of facilities in Assam and Arunachal Pradesh. It may take some more time for infrastructure to be built in north or east Sikkim," said a state government source.

The Union defence ministry was able to successfully reason that Sikkim should be left underdeveloped for "strategic" purposes. The fear was if China were to carry out a lightning strike across the Line of Actual Control (LAC) in north Sikkim, it would be able to take the entire state by using the infrastructure built by the Union or the state government. :mad2:

"The philosophy was that should such a strike take place and Indian forces be compelled to fall back, the Chinese should not get access to infrastructure that would help consolidate its position," said the official.
"In reality, this was a ridiculous strategy. China is rapidly building infrastructure on the Tibetside and lack of infrastructure on our side won't deter them. It is a matter of concern that no ALGs exist in Sikkim," said another official.

The Army is now considering a Mountain Strike Corps and may station ultralight howitzers and light tanks along the LAC. Now, IAF might also consider ALGs in north and east Sikkim.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/Dragons-threat-makes-Sikkim-suffer/articleshow/10101475.cms

B
loody ridiculous.:mad2:

sandeepdg

What a really short sighted and a stupid thinking on part of the government !! Poor people are suffering due to bad infrastructure.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Never heard of such a ridiculous thinking.

Dovah

Untermensch
Country flag
So the funda is if the Chinese covet the North east, we turn it into a hellhole so they don't desire it anymore.
Jai Ho.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Nobody saw the other side that lack of development would lead to internal trouble and the people might fall into Chini propaganda. Hats off to the Sikkimese people for living like this and still not revolting against the government or the Indian state itself. There is a lesson for the Chinis too in this, that no matter what Sikkim and its people will always be loyal to India.

charlyondfi

Nobody saw the other side that lack of development would lead to internal trouble and the people might fall into Chini propaganda. Hats off to the Sikkimese people for living like this and still not revolting against the government or the Indian state itself. There is a lesson for the Chinis too in this, that no matter what Sikkim and its people will always be loyal to India.
My dear Yusuf...I hope you are saying some ironic words, as I can't stop laughing about "lesson for the Chinese"... ...

Perhaps someone should suggest to that Defense official this great policy should expand to Dehli, and even pray for another earth quake there, and finally assure NO one will revolt after that... ... once all done, Chinese will never want to invade... ... so brilliant idea...

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
I will forgive you thinking you lack good knowledge of English.

Read what I have written again and reply.

charlyondfi

I will forgive you thinking you lack good knowledge of English.

Read what I have written again and reply.
Ok, point taken. And educate me again:
1) you are exactly praising Sikkim people (true heart), or
2) those are some ironic reply for that MoD official, as I did indicated...

And, I am willing to take back words about laughing while Sikkim people are suffering - pls understand Taiwanese are among those harmed most and sympathy other earthquake victims. One at 1947 killed 5% people then (~100000 ?)

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
No I ridiculed the idea of keeping an area underdeveloped on purpose so that the enemy does not take it. Quite like a scorched earth policy except that over here the land was kept scorched and nothin was there to destroy. So yes I appreciate the patience of the Sikkimese people to have lived like this. I am sure things will change now.

Bangalorean

Ambassador
Country flag
Not only Sikkim, this was the thinking even for the rest of the N-E, notably Arunachal. I believe the policy has been revised over the last 3-4 years, and things have gradually begun changing.

But really, this shows the mindset that our nation had in the bad old days of the license raj. It is only in the preceding decade that our nation has really begun to gain confidence and a sense of purpose. Thank God for liberalization and the opening of the economy.

I shudder to think of the state of our nation had liberalization not happened. We would have been in a pit like the Pakis, and the beggars of the world, with a mediocre nation in our hands, and zero self-confidence to boot. Actually, these phrases pretty much describe India in the pre-1990s. Existing in such a state gives rise to inferiority complex and paranoia - just look to our immediate Western neighbour for a perfect example. Rotten and filthy policies like the one mentioned in this article are the result of the same mediocrity and inferiority complex that was thrust upon us due to the license raj.

Thank goodness we are coming out of the pit which we had dug for ourselves.

Blackwater

KOLKATA: Nearly a week after the September 18 earthquake in Sikkim, relief hasn't yet reached the interior areas of this tiny state. Reason: The state lacks infrastructure, particularly roads and airfields, which would have speeded up succour to the people of the state.

Advanced landing grounds and roads had not been developed as mandarins in Delhi feared such infrastructure would help the Chinese over-run the region in the event of a repetition of the 1962 border conflict.

The Air Force is still finding it difficult to move men and equipment to the worstaffected areas.Eastern Air Command sources said mobilization would have been faster had the IAF managed to land AN-32 or a similar large transport aircraft close to Mangan, Chungthang or Lachung.

"Delhi woke up from its slumber only recently to realize that infrastructure development is required in the northeast. This shift from its Pakistan-centric approach has led to development of facilities in Assam and Arunachal Pradesh. It may take some more time for infrastructure to be built in north or east Sikkim," said a state government source.

The Union defence ministry was able to successfully reason that Sikkim should be left underdeveloped for "strategic" purposes. The fear was if China were to carry out a lightning strike across the Line of Actual Control (LAC) in north Sikkim, it would be able to take the entire state by using the infrastructure built by the Union or the state government. :mad2:

"The philosophy was that should such a strike take place and Indian forces be compelled to fall back, the Chinese should not get access to infrastructure that would help consolidate its position," said the official.
"In reality, this was a ridiculous strategy. China is rapidly building infrastructure on the Tibetside and lack of infrastructure on our side won't deter them. It is a matter of concern that no ALGs exist in Sikkim," said another official.

The Army is now considering a Mountain Strike Corps and may station ultralight howitzers and light tanks along the LAC. Now, IAF might also consider ALGs in north and east Sikkim.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/Dragons-threat-makes-Sikkim-suffer/articleshow/10101475.cms

B
loody ridiculous.:mad2:
On the contrary ,i feel that reaction time after earth quake in Sikkim was within few hours instead of few days. Sikkim is so important to us

Mr.Ryu

Country flag
This is so $u(|{!^g Idea, damn they are following Scorched earth policy in 2011 :(

And soon they will tell we dont develop Naxal affected area because they will also enjoy the infra once they take up the states affected funny logic.

"A coward is much more exposed to quarrels than a man of spirit"

vazr_shakti

It can happen only in India. Some moron3 have no idea about strategy and they are planning strategies :D

During 1961 due to lack of infrastructure we lost our land in hands of China at that time supply lines to the troops were almost non-existent in India.After war Chinese upgraded there infrastructure in Tibet at a large scale and these Indian so called strategists made money by doing corruption .

China is having airbase in Taklakot Tibet near Uttarakhand where India is still planning to have roads :D

amitkriit

If we cannot reach out to people, whom we call ours when they need us desperately, we have no right to claim their land as our own. Indian Army must refuse to fight a war which is unjust. Our soldiers have to take care of their families as well, their lives are valuable as well, why must we push them into a situation, where they will be used just as cannon fodder? Send these politicians instead.

agentperry

sikkim and other north east regions have substantial buddhist population and those who arent buddhist have seen the buddhist refugees crossing over to bhutan and India from china since tibet occupation. they fear the oppression by chinese and thats why keen to stay with India moreover people here comment like north east and sikkim are client state of India and not India itself. come on its a part of India which is realized by commons of NE and Sikkim.

regarding infrastructure swift and large scale steps are needed to develop infrastructure which involve removeing objections from enviromental groups as well( they managed to block road project in arunachal and sikkim for 1 year)

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
This is the most shyttiest concept of defensive paranoia I've heard in my entire life till now! Always knew it was something like this but never really heard it coming out of experts' mouths. This only confirms what a bunch of inbred cowards we're being ruled by. To be scared of the cowardly Communist jokers who can never fight head on in a fair war but only rely to manipulate and backstab when they get a chance. Naturally, after such revelation, we shouldn't be surprised if world powers laugh at us; or for that matter even failed states around us who have a much stronger defense and foreign policy than us.

There are people suffering in the interiors of north Sikkim and these cowardly stinkbags are not ready to help them Kudos to the Army and NDRF to come forward and HATS OFF to Narendra Modi ji for being the first non-central body to come forward with help, advise and genuine disaster management solutions to this disaster after his state suffered in earthquakes. He truly has won our hearts and minds and I can challenge to say that those who are politically active among common people in our state, would confidently want only him to become the PM of India.

This.. is called being a class apart.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles