Don't fall for lure of personal gain: Army chief to new recruits

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
CHENNAI: Chief of the army staff General Bikram Singh has advised young army recruits not to fall for the lure of personal gains. Speaking to a fresh batch of army officers who passed out of the Officers Training Academy (OTA) in Chennai on Saturday, General Singh said they should take unbiased decisions keeping the integrity of the nation in mind.

A batch of 262 youths, including 57 women officers were enrolled in the Indian Army after they passed out of the academy on Saturday. A foreign cadet was part of the batch which passed out after the ceremonial parade.

General Singh presided over the function and gave away the prestigious sword of honour to cadet Chandramouli who also got the silver medal. Woman cadet Seema Nayal won the gold medal.

Addressing the batch, General Singh said, "Never fall into the trap of personal gains; always keep the integrity of the nation in mind. You should have these four qualities -enthusiasm, rapidity, righteousness and civility. It's survival of the fittest."

General officer commanding K Surendarnath and Major General S S Jog participated in the programme.

http://m.timesofindia.com/india/Don...hief-to-new-recruits/articleshow/19002173.cms

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
If i remember correctly General Sir V.K Singh too talk about many things, No media gave attention to it ..

Why now ?

arya

Country flag
welcome to royal family very soon you get the chance to do something for your nation.

Serving for nation is best job in world.

arya

Country flag
If i remember correctly General Sir V.K Singh too talk about many things, No media gave attention to it ..

Why now ?
kongress want to use nationalism, its hot time they know peoples are angry because of corruption so its best to rase nationalism

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
Don't fall for lure of personal gain: Army chief to new recruits - The Times of India

Chief of the army staff General Bikram Singh has advised young army recruits not to fall for the lure of personal gains.
I am going to say something with absolutely no disrespect directed at GEN Singh.

It is not the young recruits who are looking for personal gain. They probably don't even think of it; they are motivated by patriotism.

It is when soldiers reach higher ranks and encounter barriers to further promotion that the problems arise.

For that reason, annual training in ethics is a good idea for all ranks.

Here is an excerpt from a speech by Douglas MacArthur which addresses Duty, Honor, and Country. I believe his words can resonate with every officer corps of every army in the world.

Duty, Honor, Country: Those three hallowed words reverently dictate what you ought to be, what you can be, what you will be. They are your rallying points: to build courage when courage seems to fail; to regain faith when there seems to be little cause for faith; to create hope when hope becomes forlorn. Unhappily, I possess neither that eloquence of diction, that poetry of imagination, nor that brilliance of metaphor to tell you all that they mean.

The unbelievers will say they are but words, but a slogan, but a flamboyant phrase. Every pedant, every demagogue, every cynic, every hypocrite, every troublemaker, and, I am sorry to say, some others of an entirely different character, will try to downgrade them even to the extent of mockery and ridicule.

But these are some of the things they do. They build your basic character. They mold you for your future roles as the custodians of the nation's defense. They make you strong enough to know when you are weak, and brave enough to face yourself when you are afraid.

They teach you to be proud and unbending in honest failure, but humble and gentle in success; not to substitute words for action; not to seek the path of comfort, but to face the stress and spur of difficulty and challenge; to learn to stand up in the storm, but to have compassion on those who fall; to master yourself before you seek to master others; to have a heart that is clean, a goal that is high; to learn to laugh, yet never forget how to weep; to reach into the future, yet never neglect the past; to be serious, yet never take yourself too seriously; to be modest so that you will remember the simplicity of true greatness; the open mind of true wisdom, the meekness of true strength.
I think you would enjoy reading his entire speech at the link.

General Douglas MacArthur's Farewell Speech to West Point

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
Falling for lures of personal gains in just three years of Army service (that too being conscripts) is difficult or easy ??

Global Defence

New threads

Articles